Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

top tips - RH & sleep deprivation in ski resorts.

Poster: A snowHead
I have recently spoken with many people who (like me) suffer from poor nights sleep whilst on ski holidays due to low humidity induced dry throats and nasal passages.
I have always suffered from this whilst on holiday and have tried all sorts of things to raise the RH in the apartment at night (pots of hot water by the bed, filling the bath, leaving pots of water on slow simmer on the cooker etc.) This year we cracked it and through trial and error perfected the Heath Robinson humidifier.

You will require
2 large towels
1 small towel
1 basin of hot water
1 radiator (NOT the electric convection type)
3-4 drops of Olbis oil (optional)

The following procedure should be performed 2-3 hours prior to bed time.

Take the three towels and soak in hot water.
Drape the two large towels over the radiator ensuring one end reaches the floor.
Take the small towel and fold until it is about 12" wide. Lay this on top of the radiator (this will help keep the other two towels in place and ensure long slow release of water vapour)
Now place the basin of hot water on a low stool in front of, and touching, the radiator and place the ends of the two large towels in it (the towels will draw water up from the basin as the upper part of the towels dries out).
For added comfort place 3-4 drops of Olbis oil on to the top towel.

Now close all window and doors in the room and leave until bed time. Leave the system in place all week and add water to the towels as and when required.

This make an awesome difference my sleep on vacation as I no longer wake up every 30 mins for a drink of water.

Anyone else got any top tips?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Drink 2 pints of water before going to bed (helps reduce hangover as well)
2. Melatonin. Knocks you out for a good night's sleep.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Melatonin? I haven't heard of that before. Is it prescription?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can buy it in supermarkets in the US. I've not seen it over here. I use it to help get over jetlag.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I thought it was the altitude that caused the sleep problem. Is it the lack of humidity that causes the weird dreams, or is that altitude.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought it was just me. The dry air makes me snore which gets me beaten up and cold-shouldered by the wife. I find lots of water helps, but still need to top up in the night.

I'll try the wet towels thing, thanks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find 10 large beers and 8 tequilas helps me drop off......
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The towels sound very effective. Bread pans filled with water, placed on radiator, will also help.

A quite simple solution I adopted during the New Year's week ski trip:

1. Keep window open at night (just a crack will do unless lodgings egregiously overheated).

2. Wet your top sheet (with water!) Sleep with wet top sheet covering your face.

If that doesn't work, a dose of cortisone 2x a day for 4 days!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
When we arrived in hotel room this year, turned off radiator and it didn't go back on all week! Leaving window open helped, but still managed to wake up at some unearthly hour and then couldn't get back to sleep without the obligatory drink of water. I think that part of the problem as WTFH says, is that alcohol dehydrates as well, and if your too smashed to remember to drink water BEFORE you go to bed, so have to replace it at sometime or another. Ah the pain we have to go through, just to go ski=ing!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
How do hotel staff take to these various measures?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What are they going to do - take all your towels away?!?

It's not as if you're actually doing anything to damage them...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm really interested in this thread - I suffer appallingly from this - no sleep, totally dried out, constant nose bleeds, dizzyness, giddyness etc etc keep the tips coming.

Stew ... sorry Mr Hat! - i remember that melatonin now - we used it to get over jet lag from trans-atlantic flights in a previous job. I guess you could get it over the web?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Info on Melatonin here: http://www.melatonin.com/. Never tried it myself. I turn off radiator, drink lots of wine and take a sleeping tablet (for last item you will need friendly GP - I reccomend Zolpidem: gentle and short acting so no effects left come next morning; quite safe for a few days).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is so encouraging.... I had nooooo idea that others suffered from insomnia while skiing. Last time I went 5 days with hardly any sleep. Richard - I tried your approach - (well... a few glasses of wine anyway...) dropped off for a couple of hours then wide awake - then I tried no alcolohol and NOTHING seemed to work. I thought I was just so buzzed up and full of adrenalin.... Will try all these suggestions....... xx
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Turning off the radiator or opening the window only makes the room cold(er) it cannot raise the RH as it's the bitter cold outside that causes low RH.
I've found that the towels work so well because they churn out loads of moisture in the first few hours and then you get a steady but lower o/p of moisture during the rest of the night as the top towel and the wicking effect up the big towels from the basin kick in.
In resort I usually consume about a litre of water during the night.
It took us 3 night to perfect the towel system and once complete none of us woke during the nigh for a drink of water or had dry throats and nasal passages. Drinking loads (water) pre bedtime is very important also.

WRT drugs from the US - I've found that tylanol are superb taken just before bed and just after breakfast to ease the aching limbs.
snow report
I also thought it was the excitement of being on holiday which was the reason for poor sleep.
Will make a more conscious effort to drink more water in the evenings...
(p.s. mentioned on a different thread but worth reiterating here - had a small hydration backpack for the days with tubey thing attached - definitely resulted in drinking more water than stopping to open bottles of water..)
ski holidays
Boardski, Isn't Tylenol just a US brand name for paracetamol? They might whack some codeine in there as well - that could be why it makes you feel good.

I'd stay away from any narcotic analgaesics (such as codeine) personally unless I really need them - they can be habit forming and can cause constipation. Don't mind chucking a few ibuprofen down during skiing holidays, but they're relatively innocuous.

If you're desperate to get it over here, try solpadeine - 500mg paracetamol, 30mg codeine plus a bit of caffeine to get it all absorbed a bit quicker. There have been issues with dependency though...
snow report
Nice to have a dealer we can refer to Very Happy
latest report
No need for a dealer - get it OTC at your local Lloyds or Boots!
snow report
On refelection I think I'll just stick to lots of beer in the evenings to help me sleep, and lots of water the next day to prepare myself for lots of beer again. etc , etc
ski holidays
Don't think Tylenol is *just* paracetamol as it is a nighttime cold/flu remedy. Also a decongestant. It probably has paracetamol in it though. I could check as I think we have some somewhere,...but not sure where.

Anti-hystamines(sp?) should help you sleep, too. However go for the generic ones and not the "non-drowsy" formulas. In fact a lot of "sleep aids" tend to be anti-histamines anyway, but branded and cost more. Hopefully no dependency probs with those. Wink

Adam Holt - Your conditions sound a bit more serious. It might be worth checking with your GP or looking up altitude sickness symptoms and alleviants, in case you're susceptible.
ski holidays
Tylenol is just paracetamol.
If you visit site http://www.tylenol.com/products/adult/detail.jhtml?id=tylenol/products/adult/regularextra.inc#ingredients you will see the ingredient listed as acetominophen. This is just the american name for paracetamol.
There are other preparations that include other drugs such as pseudoephedrine for decongesting your sinuses. You can get similar products here in UK.
snow conditions
Ah, thanks. Oh well, yet another sucker to fall for the branding bods. Embarassed

Knew you could get that stuff in the UK too. The Tylenol and something else, can't remember what, got me back from the US with a slight cold (worried about ears not popping) and slept about 6 hours of the flight, too. Cool
ski holidays
skanky, glad the branding works - some of us would have been out of jobs had it not!!
snow report
It may have been a placebo effect but I found that they were better at numbing those pre and post ski aches and pains than ibuprofen.
snow report
As always, it's a case of "whatever works". I tell my girlfriend that massages are the only thing to help easy my aching muscles!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy