Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas present from the wife

Poster: A snowHead
Hi shock of the day was a new pair of skis !! Volkl supersport 3* last years model.

I was looking for a all mountain ski and thought about the K2 5 Com.

Can any body out there give me their knowledge on either ski. I ski fairly hard and like to whip up a fair speed, can carve and have just started venturing out into the powder with reasonable results and want a ski that will perform well in both.

Ellis Brigham catoluge gave the 5 com a great review 10 for ease of use 9 for on piste and 8 for of (the best score in the cat)

Ski and snowboard did not like the 3* when going fast saying they lacked stability and chattered a lot.

Should I egnore these gear tests and stick with the volkl or brave the wife and ask for the recipte. The guy in the shop told her they where 60/40 piste/off piste split Volkl recon on 80/20.

cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bigtoe, If I were you I would stick with the Volkls. If you ask for the receipt she will most likely break both your legs so you won't be able to go skiing anyway Little Angel .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah I know but men eh
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bigtoe wrote:
Ski and snowboard did not like the 3* when going fast saying they lacked stability and chattered a lot.

Should I egnore these gear tests and stick with the volkl or brave the wife and ask for the recipte. The guy in the shop told her they where 60/40 piste/off piste split Volkl recon on 80/20.

What do you weigh, how tall are you, how do you ski and how long are the 3stars?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Comprex Hi

I am 6ft 1 weigh just under 14 stone, ski fairly aggressively and fast (when I can when not bringing the kids down the slopes)

Last two times have been getting into of piste and enjoying it with afair amount of success, can carve the blues and most reds without having to hit the breaks. Blacks are done but not carved on the steeper sections. Moguls are there but the steep icy ones are not skied properly.

The 3*'s are 175 long and are last years model @ £250.00 so she got a good deal! The reciept has now been handed across, still got both legs in tact wink

Cheers
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bigtoe, magazine tests are VERY subjective. I found some of Ski and Snowboard's reviews the total opposite to what I thought
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bigtoe, can you get a 4* in the same length, any chance at all?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bigtoe, just a suggestion, but I'd stop refering to her as 'the wife' wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geri, like he has more than one? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
laundryman, 'the wife' always sounds a bit derogatory to me. Do you like being refered to as 'the husband'?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geri, it's derogatory to be referred to as 'the one, the only, as all the world should know'? Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geri, I know what you mean. I was just trying to inject some levity! Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've just been talking to a Norweigen guy and he refered to his wife as (in English) 'the missus'. Probing further, he told me he spent some time working with English builders in Cyprus.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geri wrote:
bigtoe, just a suggestion, but I'd stop refering to her as 'the wife' wink

Yes, "er indoors" or the "trouble and strife" are normally far more accurate terms to use Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How about "The current Mrs Bigtoe" - that will keep her on her toes.

(©STW)
ski holidays
Or "My first wife"?
latest report
The Wife a very derogatory term the same as her/she as in "the cats mother".

My Wife (is that better) Mrs bigtoe is thanking you Maggie & Geri for trying to keep me in check Little Angel

Comprex I should be able to swap or get them to order them any way. Was kind of leaning towards the 5 Com only because of the report test write ups, but as Sharkymark wrote how reliable and not swayed by profit margins these reports are is any bodies guess.

Has any body tried the 5 Com's?
latest report
Although this is difficult question to answer, and can sound quite patronising, how good a skier are you? Skis are skis are skis for the majority of skiers, unless you look at the real extremes, super short, super skinny, super fat, super long, most people won't really notice a change in style. OK, add 5cms to the same skis and you'll notice, but S&R reviews are by extremely experienced skiers who are able to notice the difference. I wouldn't worry about it.
snow report
Quote:
Skis are skis are skis for the majority of skiers

I disagree flicksta, although I probably wouldn't have 2 or 3 yrs ago.
Since we've been activley seeking out skis to test, I've been surprised by the fact that, not only do I feel a dramatic difference between different skis but most other people do too: even between models of the same length, aimed at the same spot in the market by different manufacturers.

It does however, take experience for someone to understand, 'why' one ski feels particularly different from another, or to reliably describe the nature of that difference but even those with only a few weeks on snow, experience a gamut of feelings from different skis they try.
Of course, perhaps they like a ski because it generously compensates for their particular weakness in technique and the ski they like is the last one they should get but that's a whole other discussion Wink
ski holidays
I've got to agree with admin and only by trying lots of skis am I learning (slowly) about all this.
I realy liked the B2 & Scott Mission - they do everything with style and confidence, but I also found the Fischer race/worldcup SC facinating to ski - I had to get the technique right to drive em, and they let me know when I was getting it wrong snowHead
snow report
Can't disagree with your own experience, and I appreciate what you are sayingadmin, and lampbus,

My view is that far too much is made of the equipment people use, and people spend far too much time worrying about whether they are using the right skis, than on becoming a better skier. Until you are really a very good skier, save your money and spend it on individual lessons.
snow conditions
flicksta, chicken and egg. One can't get good at hardpack carving without harpack carving, and if the ski doesn't hold the applied pressure . . .

I am a bit confused about the dating of bigtoe's skis; it seems to me like he's choosing between a 2004/2005 season ski and a 2006/2007 ski. If it -is- an 04/05 3* then, to my mind, the 5* or 4* of that year or the energy 420 of that year were better skis for the sort of energy he seems to like to put into his skiing. The 3* was really a price-point ski maybe a bit more amenable to upright traditional skiing than the energy 380 of that year. But that's all in the past; I'm not persuaded he'll easily find those models for ready sale, and why should he bother when 2005/2006 AND 2006/2007 gear is already available?

bigtoe, haven't tried the 5Com, totally off my radar.
I can say really, really good things about the Head XRC 800 though, or the Dynastar Contact series, either of which would beat the pants off an '04 3*, particularly in edgehold on the aforementioned hardpack. Little Angel
latest report
Comprex sorry should have made it clear it is a 05/06 ski when i said last year i meant last season.

I do think different ski's for diferent conditions do make a difference. I can only liken it to water skiing wake boarding and windsurfing.
With windsurfing in particular if your on the wrong board for the strength of wind or sea state then you will struggle. Difering shapes of wakeboard mean you carve or land differently. Diferent tail widths of slalaom water skis will change how the ski travels and cut through the wake and turns the bend. With that all said different (snow) ski constructions, middle widths, side cuts/shapes & stiffness will all contibute to how a ski will work on the snow/ice.

What I am trying to do is making sure the money spent gives me what i need in a ski! That is firstly It will help me improve, secondly as I improve i will not need to change ski's straight away to keep on improving, thirdly when going of piste the ski will be designed to will help me improve.

I am certanly no expert skier, but I am a very fast learner all the above sports I haver been enjoying for the last 20 odd years and still do. I also know that in the last 20 years the manufacters have been spending shed loads of money developing different tecks to help us gain more from our sports and have seen huge changes throughoutall of them. And all of the changes when ever I up grade my kit brings with it easier and more controlable use which ever sport it is.

So for sking on the white stuff the same must be said. Sure you can carry on using the same kit and enjoy as I have done with the other sports for years but when you do up grade suddenly it all seams easier, this isn't because you have improved drastically from last years skiing its because the kit your using suits the conditions more your using it in.

Cheers
latest report
It's far more to do with how good you are, than how good your kit is. Good skiers can ski well on bad skis.
ski holidays
flicksta wrote:
Good skiers can ski well on bad skis.

But, will they enjoy them?
snow conditions
Ok I have now been back to the shop, had a chat about my skiing level and progresion from now. Looked at various reports and have changed the skis for Volkl Unlimited AC 2. Thought about the 3 but having read reports looks as if they are pretty stiff and unforgiving. The 2's in the write ups any way sound ideal, and I havn,t strayed to far from what Mrs Bigtoe bought me in the first place Smile

Just can't wait to try them. Anybody else on here tried them?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy