Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Going to Austria on Wednesday

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Flying to Friedrichshafen on Wednesday with Steve Kirby and friends, initially going to St Anton but obviously are now going to a different resort. The trouble is we're not sure which one we should be going to yet, we're in a bit of a dilemma! So if any Snowheads with good local knowledge would like to recommend one for skiing this Thursday for 3 days we'd really appreciate it. Our list at the minute is Ischgl, Soelden or Obergurgl.

Thanks all

Grimsby Ranger
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl appears to have 40+ km open. Seems like a reasonable bet. The weather might (might) be snowy and windy in the second half of this week, so some high-altitude glaciers may not be the ideal place to go. Although, places like Soelden and Hintertux also have plenty of snow and 30 to 40+ km running.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Keep us posted how you get on - I'm flying out there thursday week and haven't decided where to go yet either (Ischgl probably) ... you can go into Switzerland from there as well and try out Davos & St Moritz.

or as stanton, pointed out on another thread there are these glaciers nearby.

http://www.tirolgletscher.at/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
out of interest, both of you say your flying within a week but don't know where to go to, so I assume you haven't sorted out any accomodation. I am planning a DIY trip in March and am already worried about booking accomodation, as you both sound like you have done this before, how easy is it to book accomodation that late (few days before) or even on arrival? I suppose this time of year will be quiet and it may be easy but what about high season (early March) I know its off topic but just interested.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, thanks for your reply. Obergurgl may be the best bet with windy weather, you're right. Though Ischgl is probably favourite at the minute.

RichA, we'll definitely keep you posted, we're back on Sunday so will post a report when we get chance.

DRHOSKING, you're right we haven't any accomodation booked yet. This has been on purpose so we'd go where the snow was. We shouldn't experience any problems getting a bed, especially with the conditions at the minute. Would expect most of the mainland Europeans to be waiting for an improvement in snow before most venture to the slopes, but I could be wrong. We went to St Anton last April straight after Easter and just turned up at the Tourist Information office, they were excellent, gave us lots to choose from and the use of a phone. We found a great little place virtually in the centre that was very cheap, though it is always fully booked from mid January to Easter. I wouldn't go early March without booking accomodation first though, especially to the more well known places, ie. anywhere in a brochure. We usually have our early trip to Tignes (what fools this year!) and have always booked before travelling, though where we have stayed has always been fairly quiet so would even have thought last minute there wouldn't be a problem out of the 'normal' season.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DRHOSKING, yeah, only leaving it late to book accomodation as it's out of season and want to follow the snow. Have already booked accomodation for another weekend in late Jan although there are 14 of us on that one and it was a bit a nightmare getting that many into one place for the weekend. If there's only a few of us we tend to leave it till a couple of weeks beforehand before booking for weekend accomodation ... very often hotels/B&B's don't want to take short bookings until they're sure they're not going to get full week .. also a few spots tend to come up through cancelations so there can actually be more availability nearer the time.

Grimsby Ranger, I definitely wouldn't go to Obergurgl if it's forecast to be windy .. i've never skied there but drove up from Solden one day .. it looked really bleak and windblown so drove straight back down again.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Grimsby Ranger, you might try Serfaus & Fiss - we're headed there in Jan and the webcam this morning shows the start of a reasonable base and the white stuff coming down.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How did you get on ?? .. we still haven't decided where to go on Thursday yet.

eng_ch, any idea how the snow's looking on the Swiss side of the border ??
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RichA, go to Solden, just about to write a bit of a trip report
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Grimsby Ranger wrote:
RichA, go to Solden, just about to write a bit of a trip report

bit of a ways from Frierichshafen isn't it ??
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It took us about 2 1/2 hours coming back. It was dark with a bit of snow on the ground, most of it's motorway or good A road though. Don't think you'll find better snow than is on the glacier there at the minute, though I may be wrong.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frierichshafen to ... (approx times and distances)

Sölden 3 hrs & 200 km
Ischgl 2:15 min & 160 km
Hintertux 4 hrs & 300 km

Hintertux is further but has much more snow at the moment.

Might be worth considering some swiss resorts
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy