Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

crashes

Poster: A snowHead
Caspar....biffon Laughing great word
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kaiser wrote:
Les Arcs a couple of years back now I had surveyed a promising little ledge of about 6 feet to try my first airbourne experience. (First intentional at least.) As I had a new camera and my then girlfriend (Now dispatched as a direct result of shortcomings soon to be divulged) was appointed to ski down to the aforementioned ledge with extensive and clear instructions to notify me of a clear run and also how to operate the camera.
I set up and cajoled myself into an Eddie the Eagle like serenity, all coiled snake and cold blooded killer lurking within. With a good run up of about 50 meteres on fairly bluish slope I soon picked up some of the speed I assumed I would need once the instruction to go had been given. As the lip approached I felt marvellous and so confident, I knew I could carry this off, I soared for a few seconds before encountering another drop of about 6 feet which was executed with something approaching the sensation one has when an oyster is lodged in your throat covered in tabasco and you like neither oysters nor pepper; to say my heart dropped when the final step of this infernal staircase hoved into view would be conjecture as I have little remembrance of it, in fact I never will, because the diabolical hussy who should have taken that photo was busy rolling around at the top of the slope!
I did get a photo of the perfect impression my face gave in the crisp snow at the bottom of the three tiers though, Madame Tussauds couldn't do better...

Once again in English please.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I LIKE IT!

Place of incident: Gentle blue back into La Plagne Montalbert
Persons/vehicles invloved: Me and my pride
Snow conditions: Icey
Time of Incident: 4pm
Speed at time of accident: 30 mph approx (in tuck position)
Were you displaying any lights: No
Damage/injuries: Brused shins, back and knee and a dent in my helmet.
Loss of equipment:Double ejected my skis and poles (Yard Sale!)
Please describe how the accident occurred: After arrivng in the resort at midday we decided to get a halfday lift pass and go off for the afternoon. Forgetting i'd been awake since 3am and therefore my body wasn't functioning at 100% (or even 50%) decided to get into tuck for the last few hundred metres back to the bar. Forgot about the approaching turn and made it too late for the speed i was doing. Flew off edge of piste, made a 270 degree vertical spin, landed on my back head first and lost both skis.
Lesson learnt: Don't ski after a 23hr day.

Place of incident: Off piste above Serre Chevalier
Persons/vehicles invloved: Me
Snow conditions: Icey
Time of Incident: 2pm
Speed at time of accident: 15 mph approx
Damage/injuries: 2 Broken ribs.
Loss of equipment: No
Please describe how the accident occurred: Followed my freind over a jump but too fast. Made a suprising 8 foot gap between me and the mountain, landed, but then hit a patch of ice and fell into my pole. Ouch!
Lesson learnt: 2 Nurofen every morning, noon and night can get you through any pain.

Embarassed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the easiest green on the mountain (Roche Mantel) skiing with some good german clients when a spanish gentleman (I use the word advisedly) comes straight down the red The Dome and straight for me. He's (it transpires later) looking at his feet so's to be less afraid of the speed! I tighten my turn and go high and he doesn't see me until the last minute, panics, slams his skis sideways and comes straight into me. Face to face collision resulting in both our jaws being broken in 3 places. I had whiplash and shock (real serious shock) and then had to spend 6 days in hospital in Grenoble, 23 days with my jaw wired up and 5 weeks unable to work. I've been scared sh*tless of other skiers ever since! Shocked I've certainly had more spectacular falls, but that was the most serious. Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK here's mine

Place of incident: top of Wiwaxi Ski Lift Lake Louise
Persons/vehicles invloved: Me and my skis
Snow conditions: snowy
Time of Incident: 9.30 am
Speed at time of accident: 2mph (seated)
Were you displaying any lights: No just a red nose
Damage/injuries: Torn Ligament, right knee
Loss of equipment:only pride
Please describe how the accident occurred: Getting off lift on first ride of first day of first ever time on real snow, forgot basic snowplow position and did opposite. left ski went left and right ski went, er, right. I did slow kneel between them and couldn't get up. Pisty stopped lift after it hit back of my head, and I struggled to feet unaware that I had just torn right knee ligament. Skied down (a bit painfully) with 9 year old daughter and went to see doc. He told me, 'don't do it again if you want to be able to walk'.
Lesson learnt: slow falls sometimes hurt the most.

Place of incident: = in trees on afternnon run in Heavenly Lake Tahoe
Persons/vehicles invloved: Me, and a bit of sticky snow
Snow conditions: er, sticky
Time of Incident: 2pm
Speed at time of accident: around 25mph
Were you displaying any lights: no, but nose redder than usual
Damage/injuries: slight grazes to foreams
Loss of equipment: No - retrieved
Please describe how the accident occurred: cruising back down after one or two too many 'shots' in the bar at lunchtime. Forgot how snow in the shadows can be a bit 'grabby'. Cut between some trees and felt my skis 'stop'. immediate nose plant, leaving both skis stuck tip first in the soft stuff. was only wearing T-shirt at the time so elbows took the fall. Kids asked me 'why did you do that?'

Lesson learnt: best not to ski after more than a glass or two at most.

Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My first spectacular incident was on the dry slope at Llandudno. At that time, there was no restriction for using the slope, so I thought it'd be a good plan to teach myself. I was doing fine until I started schussing from the top, caught an edge and did a full somersault. At that point, someone from the ski slope decided to teach me a basic snowplough.

I had another interesting incident at Crans Montana a few years back. A few of us were skiing down a winding track and decided to do a bit of off piste between the bends. One of the re-entries onto the piste involved a bit of a drop. I didn't quite land it right, and my mate coming close behind me landed on my back. I had a ski shaped bruise for a couple of weeks.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flicksta, A jump that was too big for me was much, much to big for me and my sadistic bint decided to let me near kill myself and then not get an impressive photo for the obit.

Happy?

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Place of incident: La Plagne, Roche de Mio
Snow conditions: packed
Time of Incident: pm
Speed at time of accident: north of 40 mph approx (in tuck position)
Were you displaying any lights: errr, no officer
Damage/injuries: Brused shins, back and bum, puncture wound to bridge of nose
Loss of equipment: a bent ski brake Laughing and broken sunglasses
Please describe how the accident occurred: Summary..skiing like an idiot cranking out huge GS turns on some Salomon race skis. Detail: Skiing with an ex, decided that I was going to open these skis up on a quick run back into Bellcote on the 'Tunnel' run. Was pretty quiet, so dropped into a tuck and on the first pitched section right out of the gondola, let 'em rip. Stopped to adjust boot after a few secs, decided nobody was around and having skied the run a few days previous decided i didn't need to stop on one of the natural rest spots just before it gets steeper again... Little did i know that a) Quite a few people has decided to amass at the first one and b) it had got pretty mogulled up since the last run. So came down like a freight train, launched off the first lip, flew about 25ft, hit the upside of a mogul, both skis' popped off and then rag-dolled it for what seemed an age....My snowploughing ex handily edged her way down collecting bits of kit along with another skier...embarassed...you bet!!!
Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My worst injury was this year in Sunshine caught an end on the uphill ski twisted round and sat down, all this was accompanied by a gun shot sound result one ACL ripped away from the bone (Tibial spine fracture). Didnt feel a thing until afterwards and it wasn't a spectacular fall. My worst crash was in Sol in the 80's when I decided to freestyle down a icy motor way piste lots of tumbling and somersaults don't know to this day what I did.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

There seem to be a lot of irresponsible people out there skiing with their lions - can't say I approve.
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Luckily and touch wood, I've not caused myself a breakage yet, still my worst fall started with the now immortal words "Its not a race, but....."

So me and a friend set off top speed down a favourite black in Les Arcs ( more a red in my view, but its great fun !) - at a critical point at ears pinned back eyes streaming speed I went for the early edge change (I snowboard) - toe to heel edge - completely fluffed it and caught my heel edge, slamming me backwards down the slope in the way that way only boarders can appreciate ( you know one millisecond you are up, next microsecond you are down ).

I lay dazed on my back pirouetting down the icy slope...

The back of my head had effectively slammed full tilt into the ice - my body having gone the 140 degrees or so from 'standing' to eventually connecting with the slope...

I wear a helmet, but even so I remember checking carefully that nothing was damaged as I removed it ! ( horror stories of motorcyclists and removing helmets ! )

Luckily no breakages...

Next morning however, I couldn't lift my head off the pillow - literally had to support my head with my hands.... it was like that for a week.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Le Tour. Two gentle pistes - me on one, No 1 son on the other, going as quick as he dare, decides to go 'off piste' and join me.

His ski tips buried in the soft snow, my image of him then leaving his skis, flying through the air in slow motion performing a perfect single rotation head over heals, then landing flat on his back in the soft snow......phew.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kaiser wrote:
Flicksta, A jump that was too big for me was much, much to big for me and my sadistic bint decided to let me near kill myself and then not get an impressive photo for the obit.

Happy?

snowHead

Much better.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Place of incident: Blackcomb
Persons/vehicles invloved: Me and my skis, hidden streambed
Snow conditions: snowy
Time of Incident: 9.30 am
Speed at time of accident: 40mph - very fast
Were you displaying any lights: No just a red nose
Damage/injuries: No injuries, knackered binding
Loss of equipment:None
Please describe how the accident occurred: Heading towards the Crystal chair, first run of the day, going like the wind with two buddies. Marked hazard, they went left, I went right. Unfortunately I chose to go straight into the hidden streambed and hit the ground as hard as I have hit it. Stopped within 8 feet from about 40mph, minus skis. Remember lifting limbs one by one and being astonished nothing was broken. Shook me up for two days.
Lesson learnt: Not much you can do, it's a risky sport.

Place of incident: Whistler - Stream gully in trees below Franz's Meadows
Persons/vehicles invloved: Japanese boarder
Snow conditions: Variable, stream visible through holes in the base
Time of Incident: 3.30pm
Speed at time of accident: 10mph
Damage/injuries: None, although near death
Loss of equipment: No - retrieved
Please describe how the accident occurred: Skiing down the stream gully, closed area, lose-your-lift-pass type stuff. Mate in front stops dead just past a hidden hole in the snow with bank in front of it, like a mogul. Upside down in the hole, suspended by his board jammed into the sides of the hole is a japanese boarder. He is desperately trying to keep his head out of the stream, he can't reach his board, he's trying not to drown.
Lesson learnt: It's a risky sport, don't take the wee wee and do dangerous things on your own. We were the last two people down the gully, he would have died.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
flicksta, Wow!!!, I guess it was free saki all round.
ski holidays
Don't think this counts but I was in a crash at Glenshee when I was 17 (about 22 years ago).......a car crash Crying or Very sad

I was in the back of an Open Kadet travelling in the Blairgowrie direction when the car hit black ice going around a corner. The car hit the verge, smashed into a dyke (wall) which made the car land on its roof; the car then travelled down the road for about 30 yards.....

me and my 3 friends all scrambled out of the car without a scratch Little Angel which was suprising as the top of the car particulary on one side was completely caved in.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
flicksta, Wow!!!, I guess it was free saki all round.

He just said 'thank you' and went on his way. Not sure he realised how lucky he'd been.
snow report
My very first week in La Plagne. Crap instructor so came away with little technique or confidence. On last day agreed to go with my friends down a slope I'd already tackled in class. At one point, was heading towards a drop (ok, bit of a slope). Instead of using logic & executing a snowplough turn I panicked, screamed & threw myself to the ground executing a near perfect windmill turn. Ended up pulling a knee ligament & had to hobble down the rest of the slope or, where too steep, scoot on my back bottom. Took best part of a year to heal (think some drunken antics could have aggrevated it a little e.g. hopscotch & piggy backs). Went to Andorra the following year & rejoined bambi class with a bunch of Irish folk. Never laughed so much in my life & got the bug. Still have my wobbles (as Easiski will testify) but will never miss a year if I can help it.
snow report
<grin>
Snowbird, last ESA.

We had Martin Bell as our coach.
During the course of the morning we'd lost Linds to a bad ankle so Martin takes us up something a bit more, err, exciting.
We toddle along a narrow little traverse above the steeps (which felt like a roller coaster) and do a bit of sidestepping to get past some rocks and onto a nice black powdery pitch.

I can't remember who lost it first - Marc I think. Then Jon about halfway down. I made it to the bottom and was dead chuffed. Marc carried on and stopped to help Jon find his ski(s).

Martin and I waited at the bottom - I'm sure I joked about being the last man standing!

Anyway, we got bored and decided to do a loop to help Jon find his skis.
So we set off to the lift in a straight line 'cos it was so flat.

I distinctly remember watching the ground to make sure I didn't get thrown by any silly divots.
Of course this meant I missed seeing the 4' drop ahead. I'd been keeping my weight forward and apparently this was bad - it meant when I hit the ground with my pole out front, my pole stopped, my knees compressed and the back of my pole hand hit my face.

This knocked me out (I can't remember even approaching the drop) and then I recall being on my hands and knees. I spat and noticed it was red. So I shuffled off and spat again. More red. I felt my teeth with my tongue and missed - oops. It turned out that I'd broken both front teeth clean off.

Martin kindly returned and lent me his jacket until the patrol arrived. Eventually I think I had 9 patrollers around me discussing what to do - and you know, not one of them looked for my teeth!!

I do recall telling Kevin (funny you remember some names) that I would pass out soon - then I did. When I came back he asked if I could see. I told him I could - and I could. There were snowy hills and green trees and a blue sky. He asked how many fingers - this confused me. Eventually I saw the outline of his hand through the blackness - which was odd because I could still see the snow-scene. Eventually I could see the fingers. Trust me this is a good test.

It was a bit embarassing when he asked common sense questions like what day is it (dunno), what month (january or february I think),

They were worried I'd broken my neck but in the end they called off the helicopter (I think that's what they said) and decided to stretcher me back.

I don't remember much of the ride back in the stretcher; I know I was behind a snowmobile and then on a lift. I found it very relaxing and reassuring actually - probably due to the very nice doctor keeping me company.

I also got the 150 person 'tram' to myself - and at the bottom as we got off I saw a *huge* crowd of people waiting for the lift - very quiet. I know the sick feeling you get when you see the sight of a body on a stretcher - so I got my hand out and did a thumbs up. That got a HUGE cheer and I must admit it made me feel better too.

The clinic guys and girls were fantastic; I got three stitches in my lip and some drugs. Mmmm.

The doctor said I could ski the next day so long as I didn't show any concussion signs that night.

I didn't so I did Smile

Proof - not pretty
snow conditions
lbt, Shocked now that's a tale to dine out on.
snow report
Skiing down into Meribel from Courchevel last year. Easy blue (probably Aigle). This was the start of my third ever week's skiing, so I was being quite gentle. The snow was very poor, and a relatively steep pitch on the piste had resulted in the slush being scraped off by boarders, and there was a little section of sheet ice. Only I wasn't to know this - all I saw were a bunch of people stopped at the top of the little steeper pitch.

I carried straight on. Absolutely no grip whatsoever, low-sided. However I then couldn't stop because of the ice, so I carried on sliding down the pitch on my front, skis behind me, all the way down. My jacket was full of the remains of the snow covering. I broke a rib on my mobile phone, which was in the inside pocket of my ski jacket Sad

But I got a round of applause Smile And I certainly wasn't the only one to fall over on this particular section on that particular day!
ski holidays
Place of incident: Red run in Kitzbuhel
Place of incident: Persons/vehicles involved: Me only
Snow conditions: Soft new snow
Time of Incident: During the day
Speed at time of accident: Fast
Damage/injuries: Winded
Loss of equipment: None except goggles
Please describe how the accident occurred: Travelling fast over large camel humps, came to the crest of a hill only to find a group of skiers stopped in the middle of the piste on the other side. Tried to turn on the brow of the hill which had the effect of launching me sideways into the air. Witnesses report my altitude at approx 6 feet off the ground. Hit the deck and was winded for a good few minutes- skis stayed on. Onlookers thought I was dead. Fortunately no lasting injuries.
Lesson learnt: Not to go so fast over blind summits.

snowHead
snow report
lbt, Argh, just looked at your pictures.

snowHead
latest report
Sage, aw, come on, it's only one of them that's *supposed* to be scary Wink

Or were you watching WTFH's skiing?

Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
snow report
nlinesw4, It must of been the same dog!!!! I was is Courchevel 2 years ago. Skiing with a group of about 12. One of the group did not fancy doing a run for some reason and decided to lead us and join up with the rest in 10 mins. Dont know why but he took us on a drag lift that went on for 37.5 miles!!! Half way up it stopped. The rest of the group arrived at the RV and after 10 mins waiting decided to go on. When we eventually arrived I thought I should try and find them as our "guide" was worse than useless. (found every drag in Courchevel, that is difficult!!!).

Skiing down a red under a chair and see one of the group. Told him to wait at the top. Hurtled down the run and got to a fairly flat bit at the bottom of the chair. Saw an old couple with dog (sound familiar) crossing the piste. Gave them a wide birth of about 10 meters and the dog bolted. A dalmation, not a fart of an animal ran and I hit him going a fair old whack. Dog yelped an I cried!!!! No damage done, to either of us. Only my pride, Dog ran back to mama and in fairness to them were very apologetic for a Parisien. Winded and with broken glasses I rejoined the group.

Thankfully I was able for the afternoon after a vin chaud or two. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
I hope this thread hasn't permanently put off a load of people who logged on here because they were thinking of trying skiing!!
snow report
I'll give it a go again, though not sure if anyone else calls my method of going down a mountain "skiing"

Nice pics lbt
snow conditions
Not my crash but was witness to a fairly spectacular one in Soldeu last year. Coming up in the main gondola noticed a group of guys tackling the black run underneath. One guy lost it & started to tumble. Would have slid to a gentle stop if he didn't keep trying to right himself. Each time he tried he bounced off into another rolypoly (reminded me a little of Eddie Murphy's Granny falling down the stairs sketch) Eventually came to a stop with his jacket over his head (impressive belly!) & covered in snow a good thirty feet down the slope. His pals would have rushed to his aid but they were too busy peeing themselves back at the top.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, Old dogs never learn wink
ski holidays
nlinesw4, and the dalmatian was in camoflage coat!!!! wink
latest report
lbt, "Click on image to view larger image" . . . rather superfluous spoo
snow report
Masque, Smile Had no clue what you meant.... then realised.... that's part of the snowMedia boilerplate
snow report
lbt, OMFG ! it's left you with a terrible Goatee beard !! Laughing
latest report
Odin,

That's not a terrible goatee beard!

It needed time to mature and fully express itself...

This is a terrible goatee beard
ski holidays
Not sure if it counts but I did fall off a lift. Being a not particularly good skier (well I know my limits and they are coloured green and blue!) I was in Chamonix at La Tour on the little green slope on Vormaine. Was feeling a bit more confident so decided to get on the button lift that went just that little bit further up the slope to try the blue bit. Realised I wasn't quite sure how to cope with the additional incline of the blue bit of the lift and lost my grip just at the top. Took out three snowboarders before my bindings released and slid down the slope headfirst for the orange padding thing around the lift pole. Nice french man skied my skis down for me though so not all bad!!!! Embarassed
latest report
angelaclark, Laughing sounds like fun!!! Good boarder count, though! Twisted Evil You get 20 points for each...
ski holidays
angelaclark, I (well my friend can beat that). He fell off a chairlift Very Happy
latest report
lbt, Excellent photo ! and you are right Laughing
snow report
Back in the early 80's when Co Durham used to get snow, I managed to ski into a rope tow in a field near Consett. It was that or take out the lift queue. Stopping wasn't an option rolling eyes . It was the days before brake bindings....... with those stringy tie things round my boots. Somehow the skis/bindings/me/the rope all became one.

I was ok, but people in the lift queue needed medical attention for 'laughter related injuries'.
latest report
in the park at snow summit trying to do a jump - missed the turn into it and came off sideways right into a tree. Solid black bruise from my knee to my hip and could barely move without a quart of tequila.

Did some hilarious ones this year trying to get my ski legs back
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy