Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

which jacket???

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for suggestions.... I'm looking for a new, slimmer fitting, stretch fabric jacket with good insulation, breathability and good waterproofing. I'm thinking along the lines of the Mountain Hardwear Torque or Decent, or the Karbon Command. All ideas gratefully received! Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
what's the budget? i like the Peak Performance Jackets - nice n' colourful Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Keela jacket promoted on this very site looks pretty decent vfm to me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
blade1745,

MH are good and I have a Synchro which is fine. You might need to check out the hoody version.

Or I saw a very nice Haglof today in paklite, fabulous orange colour. I use paklite XCR for spring conditions as they are windproof and waterproof but being unltra light the warmth rating goes down a bit, IMV
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would go for a hardshell father than insulated. For a slim fit, I would highly recommend the Arc'Teryx Alpha SV. IIRC the Mountain Hardwear Tenacity Descent was also on my shortlist.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I'm looking for a new, slimmer fitting, stretch fabric jacket with good insulation, breathability and good waterproofing

Quote:

The Keela jacket promoted on this very site looks pretty decent vfm to me

slimmer fitting, : It has waist udjusters so it's as tight as you choose.
stretch fabric jacket : Sorry, it's not Stretch fabric
with good insulation, : it has three layers which work very well. -20 with Base layer, good fleece and the Munro no problem
breathability : Yes - excellent
and good waterproofing : mine did 4 seasons without letting in a drop.

If you can put up with the absence of stretchiness check it out here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowStuff.php?snowThing=munro
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Liking the snowHeads logos in those pics! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It depends on your budget, but I think you would be hard pressed to find a better jacket than an Arc'Teryx. Just got a brand new Alpha SV in. The fit is unbelievably good. It can be cinched all over, of course. The feel and attention to detail is by far the best i've ever seen. Haven't got it on the slopes yet but I can hardly wait. On the cold days here I've thrown on a fleece with the Alpha SV over it, perfect for anything.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Eider Commodore has a slim fit
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am putting the Keela down on my pressie list. Partly because I am impressed with the Mrs a's - and partly because I see my face improves when I wear one.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, Nice one!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have a Schoffel - very stretchy, tight fit, extremely (too?) warm. Won't let water in. Ticks all my boxes anyway, but that's why I bought it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am on advertising mood too: Haglofs Sharkfin Hood. Soft shell, not stocky, slim fit and extremely functional.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
blade1745, richmond, I ski in a Keela, bought from admin, on this site (Excellent value cf shops, speedy delivery, what can I say... Very Happy ). Its very waterproof and breathable, great for winter wear home, hills and mountains, and being a shell has space for a fleece under - so not slim fitting. Its a bit heavy compared to many though so perhaps I'd look at Peak Performance, but I wouldn't change mine. For later season skiing I ski in a windproof fleece and carry a lightweight goretex shell in the pack.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
blade1745, Anything except North Face! Seriously I've had 2 Henry Duvillard jackets which have been the bees knees. Very good value, hard wearing, waterproof, warm, technical etc. and their new line is softshell. This year I've got a Sun Valley jacket - expensive and technical. It seems good so far, but I haven't worn it enough to be sure of recommending it yet.
snow conditions
I'm looking at a softshell too. So far companies beginning with the letter "M" seem to be good. Marmot, Mountain Equipment, Mountain Hardwear etc.

Peak Performance is the only decent ski specific one I've seen - but it's in a trendy green colour swo will look really dated in a years time.

Are there any others worth shortlisting?
latest report
marc gledhill, yes Mkeela Wink
snow report
If you don't mind the big Kappa sign then these jackets are pretty good. The site sometimes is slow

Kappa Store
snow report
You're all beautiful people for taking the trouble to share these pearls of wisdom Toofy Grin I'm getting closer... but still can't find the one that ticks all the boxes - waterproof (not just resistant), welded in microfleece, slim(ish) short cut, breathable and all for less than £200ish! Ones that seem to come closest - mmmVolkl Team, MH GTX 2.5, mmmKeela, MH Tenacity Decent - confused of Edinburgh
snow report
http://www.fieldandtrek.com/product.asp?src=ukwm&pf_id=49098&sfile=1&filter_cat=CLTHOUTLLWPR&manufacturer_id=Haglofs

http://www.robinsonshop.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=49_137&products_id=1644&osCsid=c80cdd91789c1105be7dc1b40f335cb3
snow report
admin wrote:
Quote:

I'm looking for a new, slimmer fitting, stretch fabric jacket with good insulation, breathability and good waterproofing

Quote:

The Keela jacket promoted on this very site looks pretty decent vfm to me

slimmer fitting, : It has waist udjusters so it's as tight as you choose.
stretch fabric jacket : Sorry, it's not Stretch fabric
with good insulation, : it has three layers which work very well. -20 with Base layer, good fleece and the Munro no proble
breathability : Yes - excellent
and good waterproofing : mine did 4 seasons without letting in a drop.

If you can put up with the absence of stretchiness check it out here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snowStuff.php?snowThing=munro

I have one of the above and I paid £124.91 for it delivered to my door.
No complaints at all!
snow report
blade1745, seen this?
snow report
or this http://kjus.com/ worth a look if only to admire the web site. No prices on here last time I looked and whilst its good kit they can be a bit pricey (Schoffel/Peak Performance price range possibly a little more)
ski holidays
blade,

have you looked at the hooded version of the MH Synchro - its conduit softshell with taped seams (i.e. waterproof and breathable, microfleece lined), low bulk, slim cut. I have the version without a hood but I'd prefer a hood for bad weather days. Should be able to find one for 150-180.

I generally wear my Arcter'yx Sidewinder hardshell for skiing. It is fairly slim-fitting for a hardshell. Has some stretch panels. Ski specific design. Excellent but outside your price range.

J
latest report
Frosty, they sell Kjus in Slide Planet here. Lovely stuff but well ABOVE everyone else's price! Shocked Ise wears Kjus - nuff said! wink
latest report
Just to throw in another make, Dainese make some great jackets - goretex XCR, stretch fabric, superb quality and looks. Not many around either.
Mine is a stealth black Valdez from last season.
ski holidays
Kjus retails around 500 squid in the UK Shocked
snow report
I noticed some very nice looking Scott Goretex Softshells in Jutta's shop in LDA that were around the 200 quid mark
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schoffel for me. Warm, waterproof, plenty of pockets to stash phones, cameras, etc...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy