Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Polarised Lenses

Poster: A snowHead
I am looking to buy some goggles for bright conditions (I already have some Oakley Wisdoms with Hi-Blue lenses for bad viz) and was wondering about Oakleys with Fire Iridium Polarised lenses but I seem to remember being told that polarised lenses are no good for skiing. Any ideas why not?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
John Scott, it simply isn't true for bright light. They're great. You can have a much lighter lens than usual and still cut glare.

PS I have 2 pairs for different helmets.

No good for flying, maybe, as you can't catch the sun-glint off the other airplane?

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 4-12-06 13:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi John, I have some Gold Iridium Polarised Oakleys.

Polarised lenses are allegedly perfect for skiing, eliminating the glare off the snow.

Personally I hated mine at first, and have now got used to them although I'd still rather they were unpolarised. Everyone who's borrowed them has hated them too (though perhaps their experience is primed by me saying "aren't these wierd").

For skiing, the lenses are OK - though I don't feel any benefit compared to non-polarised Oakleys (my wife has unpolarised dark iridium - these better for bright sunlight). My main problem is off the slopes - glass, metal and water look sort of "oily" - you know that slight rainbow effect you get when light hits spilt oil. You get used to this but i still don't like driving in them.

This is very much a personal choice thing, but I very strongly recommend trying out a pair before spending the extra money on getting them polairsed.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
JimiHendrix wrote:
My main problem is off the slopes - glass, metal and water look sort of "oily" - you know that slight rainbow effect you get when light hits spilt oil. You get used to this but i still don't like driving in them.

Birefringence.

You should -NOT- drive in them:

- the processes used to form car window glass will easily cause strain in the glass that is visible with polarised light, the coloured patterns of the casting mould masking whatever is on the other side of the window.
- LCD displays either in the car or at the petrol pump will be obscured.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JimiHendrix, I don't often drive with goggles Smile but I will try before I buy.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunately, thin clear ice becomes invisible with polarised lenses.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex wrote:
You should -NOT- drive in them

Puzzled When I used to wear glasses Vision Express offered polarized versions at extra cost but made no mention about not driving in them.
I had a pair a polarized sunglasses and found them great for driving, it cuts right down on glare and reflection from things like wet roads.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
comprex,
Quote:

I do, and have done for a few years and it makes no difference which windscreen I'm behind - some LCD displays are masked though. Mine are Oakley Bronze Iridium Polarised. Previous to those, I had Gold Iridium non-polarised for skiing and I still reckon they're the duck's nuts so I'm investing in another prescription pair. I've also got black iridium non-polarised and they make me depressed - like someone turned the lights out in my head.

RobertC, yes, so go heli-skiing wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, FenlandSkier, I live west of work so polarised lenses have meant: double green suns (Ford Probe), colour shift in rearview mirror (Nissan Maxima), glare from semi-vertical reflection (side window glass and window pillar trim of cars up front- Ford Bronco), invisible dashboard LCDs (older Toyota Camry), sideview mirror problems (M3), rear window spots obscuring low-contrast traffic (Saturn SC), and those are the problems I remember.

at least sunnies are easy to whisk off.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

JimiHendrix, I don't often drive with goggles but I will try before I buy.

Doh! Must-read-posts-before-replying snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i was thinking of getting another lense for my wisdoms - ive got a persimmon lense in at the momnet with a coupe of nasty scratches in it. any suggestions on what to get so i can cover different lighling conditions
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
frostie1861, how about the windscreen of a Ford Bronco Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JimiHendrix, sorry about that, I didn't actually say that I was after goggles so your reply did make sense. I think the reason I was told not to get polarised was to do with spotting patches of ice.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, I have a new pair of Bronze Polarised Half Jackets (glasses not goggles) which I've almost decided to keep. I have about 14 days to return them. Your post suggests I'm going for the wrong lens, I find the polarised very easy on my eyes but will it prevent me seeing ice ? I actually have seen polarised recommended for Skiing. I can get a second set of lenses I was thinking persimmon maybe ?

HELP..
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex wrote:
JimiHendrix wrote:
My main problem is off the slopes - glass, metal and water look sort of "oily" - you know that slight rainbow effect you get when light hits spilt oil. You get used to this but i still don't like driving in them.

Birefringence.

- the processes used to form car window glass will easily cause strain in the glass that is visible with polarised light, the coloured patterns of the casting mould masking whatever is on the other side of the window.
- LCD displays either in the car or at the petrol pump will be obscured.

Just saw a test in a car program where 3 drivers were setup in a large hall drivign straight into 12000 watts of lightsource.
They measured stopiing distance from the moment a supermarket cart was pushed from behind a screen.

Without glasses, they all needed a certain distance. With unpolarized sunglasses all 3 of them used MORE distance (thus being more unsafe)
They all had the shortest distance using polarized lenses.

I think we have a bit of a problem ;D
snow report
mike.healy, it's such a personal thing. People told me that black iridium would be great but it isn't. I do ski in the bronze polarised and they are v good... can't say I've really noticed the "not seeing ice" thing... but, for me, and maybe not for you, the gold iridium is the puppy. Worth calling or emailing Jacqui at www.isyte.com - she knows everything and they are optometrists to boot (also in Surrey). The site is pretty informative too.
latest report
I swear by Vuarnet. Give it a try - I am not so impressed by the goggles, but there's no better mountain lense for sunglasses than the good old skilynx.
ski holidays
Just re-read the post about ice and Robert does state that thin clear ice - which I doubt I'll encounter where I'm likely to go skiing.
latest report
No, but you might encounter some on the walk to the lift. It was just a warning. I have polarised sunglasses and I like them. But I had a nasty fall last spring on black ice over tarmac.
ski holidays
RobertC, yikes i just bought some polarised revos which i assumed would be ideal for skiing and giving better definition, didnt recon on making thin ice invisible, but that makes sense as a lot of fishermen and sailors use polarised to be abel to see under the surface glare.

not being able to see ice is not a good thing. i hope i havnt gotten the wrong gear Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
You don't need to see ice, just feel it. Ski with your feet not your eyes.
snow report
Bode Swiller, Have you tried persimmon lenses ? How do they compare with the Gold Iridium and Bronze polarised ?
snow report
mike.healy, never tried 'em... thought it was a kind of wood wink
ski holidays
comprex, I agree about the LCD visibility and airplane cockpit windows, but mirrors and car windows should be OK when viewed with polarized glasses, as a lot of car manufacturers add polarizing coating to their windows in the same way that you can get spectacles coated with anti-glare layer (most prescription lens have some form of coating). I regularly drive in polarized lens even at night to reduce glare from on coming headlights (I am unable to drive a Ford galaxy at night without the glasses due to excessive glare and reflections on the windscreen) and have never experienced those types of optical phenomena. It could be that the parts are defective (defective batch or manufacturing/design errors, remember the delaminating tyres on Ford SUVs, they knew about the design fault but decided not to do anything about it, blame everyone else until they got found out).

In terms of skiing polarized lens can make seeing ice more difficult and flatten out bumps on the slope. How this effects you will depend on how good a skier you are, as a good skier will be more dynamic and can react to the change in slope and conditions very quickly.
ski holidays
davidb, fair enough; folks seem to have missed my (subtle?) point above - drive with glasses so you can whisk them off when needed, ski with goggles.

The seeing ice bit is fine, but to my mind is FAR more relevant when driving. You'll perceive that skiing at night around here is more of a case of finding the one square meter of non-ice.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy