Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this the week when it all starts?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the forecasts is this the week when to snow cames and stays

Temps look to be dropping and snow falling, espically toward the end of the week

So lets start a new thread for the week ahead, and post your charts and views
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
well the view out my window tells me that we had more snow this am and last pm up top but again it was raining in the valley as its just TO WARM to snow!

I bloody do hope that these temps drop soon as we've had so much rain this weekend and it should be snow and it isn't!

Still there is enough up the lauteret to play with and me and liam (my son ) have a date with a kicker and a picnic table on wed after school! YAY
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My swiss colleagues have just walked in. They are saying it will be a white Xmas but not before
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton, that suits me, but it is very frustrating lookin at ahalf white mountain, htere isn't even the usual piles of cannoned snow to look at. It feels like it is never gonna happen!

But if it doesn't it means i'm gonna be doing one hell of a lot of driving to 2 alpes this winter Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks like anything falling in the next 2 days is confined to slopes above about 1800mtrs, then it cools down but with no precip, then the temp/fl rises again with a bit more snow....

Looking at a few cams I have seen snow (in the Fr Alps at least) down to about 1700mtrs but its a very light dusting......

trying to convince myself it IS still early days and leave it at that.........but at the end of the day I want to ski not pack my walking shoes Laughing Laughing I've got 6 weeks for the season to kick into life and provide skiing down to 1000m so I'm not breaking into a sweat......yet Shocked
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
global warming and all that jazz, the seasons are definately getting later, christmas week is a bit of a risk whereas easter or even later you can still find really good snow [if you go highish]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CEM,
Quote:

the seasons are definately getting later

How many times has the premier neige racing been called off in Val d Isere? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it has been called off more times than it has been ran Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
They are saying it will be a white Xmas but not before

Well that's alright then. Who needs weather forecasts when Stanton's swiss colleagues are around? Do they work for snow-guess, by the way?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
looking at the forecast the temps are off the scale for the end of the week

Val thorens due 68cms at village level,

its early forecast, but have to be postive!!! Puzzled
snow report
 brian
brian
Tuesday night into Wednesday is looking good. Initially it looks like snow will be confined to above 2000m but as the front moves through the temperature will fall and I think the back edge could see white stuff down to 1000m in places.

Get ready for webcam Wednesday Very Happy

Saturday is also looking promising but much less certain at the mo wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The white stuff is falling in La Rosiere right now, and there's been some in Val Thorens too (these being my sliding destinations this year, I am keeping a keen eye on 'em Smile )
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
like it "Webcam Wednesday"
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wednesday is the day,la plagne forecast a big dump,webcam wednesday is going to be big hit. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What I find most encouraging is seeing the temperatures dropping sharply and staying down.

I'm off to Zermatt on Sunday and I seem to be spending ever increasing amounts of my time just refreshing these two pages....

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Zermatt.0to3mid.shtml
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/snow_forecast_7.asp?resortID=74

Looks like winter begins on Wednesday....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
www.tignes.co.uk and sellect web cams. Its looking pretty much a whiteout and with the forecast very promising for this week it does indeed look likely that this at last will herald the arrival of winter Laughing Laughing
latest report
A quick scan of the webcams on Mon morning suggests light snow above roughly 1800 - 2000m in the Western Alps, with little or nothing in the Eastern alps. Val d'Isere (1800m) looks whiter, but Meribel (1500m) is drenched in rain, while Saalbach (1000m) and St Anton (1400m) are dry as a bone at village level.

The latest forecasts do appear to be calling for some serious falls across much of the Alps on Weds, and perhaps over next weekend. Anywhere between 10cm and 60cm, depending on whose numbers you look at. Temps seem set to edge down, too. The current freezing-point is around 2000m, tumbling to perhaps 1000m by Weds. Slopes above roughly 1500 - 1800m should see a moderately good week, but it is touch-and-go for those below.
snow report
I've also seen a forecast which says snow for wed night and the weekend, and we have everything crossed as 1st guests of the season are out on the 15th!!

It's hard to decorate with everything crossed you know Smile

Deb
ski holidays
0-8, Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
boredsurfin wrote:

How many times has the premier neige racing been called off in Val d Isere? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it has been called off more times than it has been ran Toofy Grin

It's the Blix factor; He never found any weapons of mass destruction, and now he is head of the F.I.S he cannot find enough snow to stage the Premiere neige (Or the cash to run it in America) snowHead
ski holidays
Very Happy Michelle,

I actually registered here two years ago but I've only managed to get round to making a single post. I guess I'm a little slow....

"probably somewhere above europe"
Is that a reference to being on a mountain or are you a fellow aviator?
snow report
0-8, Your next post is forecast Dec 2008 Toofy Grin
snow report
Guys, I really like all the talk about wednesday being the day. However! I'm off to austria (Planai) in the early new year, how long do you think I leave it before I make other arrangements?
ski holidays
Me thinks Wednesday is the green light as the temps are dropping and snow is forcasted in the Swiss Alps so bring it on !
snow report
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6206236.stm
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
yeah it looks like a first good drop of snow looking at the 3 day forcast
snow conditions
re the BBC article

When was that photo of VT taken 'cos it sure as hell wasn't this week!!
ski holidays
Don't get too carried away folks... I hope I'm wrong but I think this cold spell is short-lived... it'll only be cold for Tue/Wed then creep up again until the weekend when it'll get colder again for a few days, but then creep up again. The weather system causing the mild weather hasn't given up yet and these brief cold spells are only going to be brief respites until later in December by the looks of things. I hope they've got the snow cannons set to "blizzard" for the second the temps hit the crucial point...
latest report
carled, no, no no! Its here to stay - I've been doing my snowdance and lighting candles around my skies every night.

You're probably right - as long as the base grows slowly and there is enough to ski on at Xmas I'm happy.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled - were you not the one preaching that looking at the forecast more than 3 days in the future was worthless last week???
snow report
0-8 wrote:
Very Happy Michelle,

I actually registered here two years ago but I've only managed to get round to making a single post. I guess I'm a little slow....

"probably somewhere above europe"
Is that a reference to being on a mountain or are you a fellow aviator?

Well congratulations all the more then!

I wish I was on a mountain, but yes, i'm usually above them at 39000ft rolling eyes
snow report
kitenski, yup. For specifics. But general trends can still be shown. What I object to is the "snow-guess says it'll snw 10cm on Monday night and 15cm on Tuesday morning, so we're all saved - Yay!" sorts of posts... I'm just sticking my neck out on the interpretation of charts and I'm actually disagreeing somewhat with snow-guess and metcheck. Trying to calm down the mad ramping of potential snow!
snow conditions
Michelle wrote:
I'm usually above them at 39000ft rolling eyes

...M is the leader of the 7.39 mile high club...
ski holidays
Wink

That big blip we both talked about in the GFS temp wise is still there ain't it, but it does look like only a 2 or 3 day blip, around the 15th Dec, with temps cooling again.
latest report
carled wrote:
kitenski, yup. For specifics. But general trends can still be shown. What I object to is the "snow-guess says it'll snw 10cm on Monday night and 15cm on Tuesday morning, so we're all saved - Yay!" sorts of posts... Trying to calm down the mad ramping of potential snow!

Which Panto baddy are you playing in this year, Carled, Booo Hisss

We are only reading and reporting what the forecast say,

By all means you can say "I told you so" around the 15th Dec for this "Blip" until then go with the flow Eberneezer

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
uh oh here we go again,

Fight, Fight, Fight, Fight!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
carled, looks like pretty much zonality all the way in the reliable time frame, but with LP developing over N Italy and atlantic fronts sweeping right through it's quite different to the last few weeks. Looks good for snow to build nicely at high altitude.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Michelle wrote:
I'm usually above them at 39000ft rolling eyes

...M is the leader of the 7.39 mile high club...

Shocked moi Little Angel
snow report
Yep. Agreed Brian. I just can't see the current conditions changing too much yet - I just don't see where the "push" comes from to bring in the colder temps from the North - it all looks samey, gloomy, warm stuff... All it takes is a little shift of pressure somewhere and it could all change in a very short space of time - it just looks pretty solid and stable at present and I think these brief incursions of cold are just petty meteorological squabbles until the cold temperature rolls its sleeves up and starts fighting dirty, giving the warm, wet stuff a good knee in the warm front... THEN we could see some fun and games. Any snow falling at present looks to be limited to 1500m+ (although some wet stuff will fall lower down too - mainly overnight) and it just needs to get a few degrees colder and stay there... I'm sticking with late December for the real start of winter, I'm afraid...
ski holidays
Carled, all jokes and wind up's aside

What is late December 20th, 25th or later

want to give us a rough date?
snow conditions
Dunno. It's not a precise science, you know! I reckon that these cold incursions happening now will get more frequent and by mid-December we'll see colder temps so the cannons can at least kick in. More decent snow coming perhaps beyond that, but it's way too far off to be confident in any way, that's just based on the historical average time it tends to take the weather systems to shift a bit from this general sort of set-up... but it is all so easily changed with a freak bit of weather here and there.

I am in no way claiming to have any inside knowledge here! I may turn out to be better, as good as or much worse than metcheck or snowguess, so don't believe a word I say! All I'm doing is voicing my opinion based on my very limited weather watching experience!

EDIT: all that being said, my mate is off to Les Arcs for a week from 16th Dec and he's a lucky ba**ard so put the house on heavy snow just in time for him to have (yet another) bumper holiday.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy