Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun - Kitzsteinhorn - 2 December

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Skied on the glacier at Kaprun, very busy as no snow anywhere close by (Saalbach-Hinterglemm, Schmittenhohe, etc), car park very full and lots of coaches.

Snow conditions were good for the most part, though in some places the glacier ice was showing through, making life interesting. Skied down to the Langweidboden a couple of times but very scraped and icy the 2nd time (just after lunch). Most runs were open and it was possible to be selective to avoid the longest lift queues. The best runs were up high as expected, but were very busy, as were the t-bar queues. Really needs a big dump of snow to get a good depth of snow on the pistes (and to open the runs off the Maurer Gletscherlift which was closed).

The weather was nice and sunny with a good breeze at times blowing plumes of powder from the mountain tops.

Tested some Atomic GS12's size 160 - excellent ski with brilliant edge hold on, even on the icy scraped sections - however, for me, not as good as my Metron B5's.

All in all a good first day to the season snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlpineWalker, great to have some "proper" reportage and not just more gossip and silly chat. Well done ... but .... where are the photo/s???? Conditions sound very similar to here, but it would be nice to see. Come on - if I can go up specially to report and take photos in the middle of lessons, surely????????? Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the feedback.

Was it just icy or were there rocks poking through on the piste as well?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
nice to hear, seriously considering a 4 hour drive to ski here next week :0

Hopefully some decent snow is on it's way this week........

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A friend was at Ishgl for the opening last Sat 02 Dec and the Pussy Cat Dolls were there. Not many pistes were open and so they gave away the ski tickets. His new skis hit a rock so what he saved on the ski ticket pays for a ski service. Confused
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
but .... where are the photo/s????

no time for photos unfortunately, I'd intended an 8am first on the lift start, however, my friend phoned to say that the bus he had intended to catch didn't run on Saturdays, so I had to drive over to Saalbach from Kaprun to pick him up, meant we didn't hit the slopes until around 10am! I'll try to do better next time Embarassed

here's a pic from the website today

DB wrote:
Was it just icy or were there rocks poking through on the piste as well?

scraped snow on packed pistes lower down, glacier ice showing through on the tongue of the glacier, rocks were mostly small chunks on sections of the piste, presumably broken up by the piste bashers Shocked

PS : it was well worth it on the day, though if you have the option I'd go Tuesday to Thursday as it's considerably quieter Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers Alpine Walker - as easiski puts it, good to have some proper reportage! Very Happy

Seems my fears for next week are well founded as we (the BA Ski Club that is) head to Zell for our annual warm-up. Crying or Very sad Normally on the Schmittenhöhe, but it seems that we will be on the 8.30am bus every day to Kaprun. Snow-report.co.uk isn't looking too hopeful either, so I'm asking the universe for one small favour and dump on Salzburgerland.

If you're around, you may well see us there. All in snazzy red, white and mainly blue jackets, falling over a lot and clogging up the pistes. You can laugh at our wondrous race practice as well on Thursday. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BASkier, Welcome to snowHead 's

Enjoy the bus ride Toofy Grin .

There is a good dump forecast for Wednesday night/Thursday and a bit for Saturday. Perhaps there may be skiing as far down as the top of Areitbahn III and over the back of the schmittenhohe. Its all grass so shouldnt take much snow to open.

Ps They have changed the ski bus rules this year and will be charging €1.50 per set of skis per journey. Try putting 2 sets in a bag to save money wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is that the local bus or the full PostBus? I would have thought they couldn't charge for the local one going from the Postplatz in Zell to the Talstation at the Kitzsteinhorn, but the long distance one I'm fairly sure they would, given the hassle it can cause. We'll be travelling under our own steam there, but if this is the case on the local, then it may be a worry. If not a riot... Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BASkier, Sorry mate. Was just a dig at some of the low cost airlines (and possibly BA from next year) Embarassed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not likely to change the baggage policy any time soon given the grief over August with the hand baggage, so you're safe this season and probably next. Besides, do you want to be a cash cow or a customer? The former if you're Ryanair, the latter if you're BA. wink Check us out on www.ba.com/ski for the latest.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BASkier, Good to have you on the site giving the view from a quality airline, I always like to be a customer so all my flights this winter are with BA.

We've had a few threads recently about baggage allowances etc. One snowhead commented that BA were possibly going to charge for ski carriage after this season - do you have any inside info Puzzled

Thanks

snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not yet, but I'll keep my ear to the ground. Still, BA and the other European flag carriers (that's Lufthansa, Austrian, Air France, KLM, SAS, Alitalia, Tarom etc) won't charge for skis, but it is only 1 set per person. Or as Frosty rightly suggests, put both sets in one bag, and nobody knows the difference, as all the baggage systems for oversize (as skis are classified) are done by piece and not weight, and they don't count towards the overall allowance.

Useful tip: However according to the latest, http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagsport/public/en_gb , boot bags are not counted as part of your normal hold baggage, so stuff it with gear and save room in your suitcase for all that lovely schnapps/Minttu/grappa/saucisson/Sachertorte/marmot grease that you bring back Toofy Grin

Oh, and don't forget to use Manage My Booking to do On-line check-in the day ahead and you miss most of the queue at checkin, and add your Advanced Passenger info if you are flying to the States, as a lot of people get upset if we have to turn the aeroplane around to chuck you off... wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to hate BA for their snobby and snotty cabin crew, but nowadays they are my airline of choice for ski trips.

I have to go peak weeks and they are cheaper and better in every way than the budget airlines.

Hmm just noticed I am a wee bit off-topic!

snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy