Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Men's Slalom - Beaver Creek

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Well - while the ladies weren't terribly interesting the men were totally thrilling! Many of the top guys skiing out in the first run, then still more in the second run. The piste cut up dreadfully- these guys aren't really used to skiing ruts are they? The top three all young guns with great futures. It almost makes up for my hero being not up to par lately. Sad

It was interesting to see, as the second run progressed, how much difference there was between the really fast guys and the young pretenders with regard to quiet upper bodies and (or lack of) arm waving and letting the arms get behind the body. All this is great for learning ... come on ..... more peeps WATCH!!!

It's also very interesting to note that both John Clarke previously and Gareth Trainer this weekend (both guys who know a thing or two about it), keep saying stuff like "he needs to keep his weight over the front of his skis" and "I'd like to see him moving his hips up and forward during the turn" etc. There are one or two snowHead who think I'm telling porkies when I say stuff like this. Shocked
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski,
What do they mean when they talk about the snow being aggressive?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
T Bar, It means when the snow is hard and grabs your edge the instant you edge the ski. therefore the ski starts the turn in some cases before you expect it to. If it's very aggressive snow it actually gets quite difficult to turn at all if you're not a WC skier - the snow has a tendency to grab your edge and make your ski go straight! Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
easiski,
Thanks, the commentators seemed to indicate it was much more common in America and the European skiers were unused to it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charlotte you got any snow down there? I'll send yez a description of aggressive snow in a mo.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Aggressive snow is, in a word, "grabby"

You know sometimes in the morning when the machines have been out through the night then the frost leaves a little coating on top of the corduroy?.... Well that's a mellow version of aggressive snow.

The ski and snow become more dynamically reactive with each other which becomes a bit of an issue if you're going fast, making extreme arcs or, as in racing, especially GS a combination of both.

The trick is to have a fine touch at the same time as being strong in the turn,,,, tricky stuff.

Yo can also de-tune the skis a bit. Maybe a wee bit of base bavel or a bit less of an acute edge angle, say 88 degrees if you ski 87 normally, this has a similar effect to dampening the steering on a race car....

Or a ski with a more progressive, softer flex up at the shovel will let you ease into the start of the turn,,, fine if you've got a "quiver" to hand!

You get my drift?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Right just read your earlier post,,,, The guys are all pretty used to skiing ruts, or chopped up courses. When the teams are preaparing for a race in the last few days before a race they'll join forces and the say, Austrians, Germans Italians and Swedes will all work together. Consequently the training courses get a lot of traffic.

I guess it's more that on race day everyone is going that little bit closer to their limit and that, combined with the extreme dynamics of the skis - slalom especially- makes the race run an all or nothing situation. I didn't see todays race but I dare say there weren't many of the guys who came out of the course looking in control as they exited!!!

Like I always say, anyone who is into their skiing, and I don't just mean raceing MUST go see a race sometime!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lovely to see the young guys win for a change Cool . (Bode out again rolling eyes )
easiski wrote:
"he needs to keep his weight over the front of his skis" and "I'd like to see him moving his hips up and forward during the turn" etc. There are one or two snowHead who think I'm telling porkies when I say stuff like this.

Charlotte, I know you're right. I just can't do it!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi, Ah yes - but there are one or two who remain to be convinced - I hope they watch Eurosport, but I'm afraid they might not!! Sad

jcjc, Nice, and more detailed explanation of agressive snow. I remember one Grade 1 technical - but we won't go there ... There were a lot of them being "challenged" by the ruts which were pretty bad actually. It looks as if they don't use the injection bar in the States - is that an ecological thing??? Shocked the only time I've seen european courses cut up like that has been when there's been huge fresh snow just before and during a race. Too late to do anything about it. It's nothing like the 2-3ft ruts that peeps have to deal with in Scotland though. I remeber Tomasz being almost up to his waist once at the West of Scotland Champs in Glenco ...... Shocked
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aye, back in the day............ruts to your waist, puddles in the bottom of them over your boots,,,,
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They do use the injection bar, but like you say, hard to do anything with late snowfall.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy