Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for good value for a newbie couple?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
cersei wrote:
As an absolute ski virgin, surely I can find plenty to do even at a "small" resort between ski school, enjoying the lake, visiting city of Salzburg for a day and having option of more extensive skiing if we really progress fast (and I doubt this heh)?

You might be surprised Wink

If you are looking for a holiday that is not all ski, then sure, why not? But an hour's drive away for more skiing? That's a lot out of the day, you might find it very tiring on the return (assuming that you will be driving) and don't forget the roads will be very twisty and generally not an easy drive. Most people would rather not stay somewhere that is five minutes from the slopes Wink You could find yourself a snow-addict very quickly indeed Very Happy

Best of luck wherever you eventually decide on - and don't forget to write a report when you come back! snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With regard to mountain restaurants....the ones at Zell am See are far far cheaper than any I've been to in France. for €5 or 6 I'd expect lunch not just a coffee!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cersei sent me a PM and I told him what little I know about St Wolfgang. I agree with TallTone, it's really not a good choice when there are a wealth of better places to choose from, in Austria and elsewhere. But I still think they should wait and get a last minute deal!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been to St Wolfgang in the Summer, Idylic lake side setting. The Skiing is basically for beginners, its in the Postalm areaabout 45min bus ride away, only about 20-30km of runs, and only 8 lifts. Has a good snow holding record though, despite its low altitude. We stayed in a small guest house http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/60855at,en,SCH1/objectId,ACC297542at,season,at1/home.html which was excellent. Its a quiet resors, fairly small, nice people, some nice bars and resaurants. We ate at the Zimmerbrau most nights which was excellent. Would be good for beginners as the skiing is gentle aparently. The village is picture postcard, only 1.5 hours from Salzburg on the bus. Easy to get to Salzburg for a days sightseeing and shopping, Salzburg is beautiful too. A bus ride away from Bad Ischl which has more shops etc and a nice spa. If the skiing is too limited there are larger more challenging areas available on the same lift pass I think, but they will be an hour or so away.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DRHOSKING, thanks for further info! pam w has indeed given me a good reply on pm, thanks too.

will have to seriously consider all those options with partner and decide if price savings (ie £30 more for full board vs breakfast only) worth going to St. Wolfgang for instead of Kaprun.

I will take advice though for moment to wait for "better deals" which gives us more time to decide where too.

Thanks again and any further advice most welcomed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hey folks. regarding this "book as late as you can" advice, how late should I leave it then for a trip from 3rd Feb 2007?

cheers
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi

I would suggest a chalet holiday as these will immerse you in the skiing atmosphere and are good value. Loads of companies over them all in but it may be cheaper for you to book flights and accomodation separately. I am not sure how busy it is first week feb, but we alaways used to book chalet holidays last minute to get the best snow and best deals, but have never been that week so don't know how busy it gets. Loads of companies flog them off as they are paying for beds anyway- the same can be said for chalet hotels.

L
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PS

If you do want a chalet then the Solutions room at chalet direct I think is pretty useful. You post what you want - then lots of smaller operators get back to you with their offers. So you post something like 'mid 30s beginners looking for short transfer etc on blah blah date and you normally get repolies form at least 15 small operators matching your requirements

L
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cersei,

Looks like you have stirred up a few hornets and forgive me if this has been said before.

As new skiers, have a look at Austria but only when you have seen the local snow conditions but Feb is getting on for high season so we will all be stuffed if snow is an issue then. Austria offers good hotels at reasonable prices and the lift are modern-ish as is the kit. They are also very geared up for Brits so langauge isn't really an issue.
Look at resorts like Soll, Westerndorf...any of the Ski Welt, Saalbach and Zell am Zee/Kaprun, these will offer ski schools that can cope with British learners, and you should be in a school with lots of others all learning the same thing...lots and lots of laughs they say.
Apre-ski is Austria is a lot livelier than most French places as well.
Consider France for cheap deals in a chalet which is like a house with staff who prepare meals. You will be house-sharing with other Brits and the intimate mix can work very well or not... but it allows you to ski very good resorts and the chalet companies work quite hard with their prices. Generally good value at discounted rates.

If it is just the two of you, then Austria would be more recomendation.

Bulgaria has its fans but the point about the kit being out of date is valid. And if their kit is that backward, maybe one or two other things are as well, ie tuition etc. The best thing it has going for it, IMV, is price.
Andora will be like a Spanish Austria but not quite as good. thats not to say you will not a great time there at all, but it is behind Austria as an overall package IMV.

So, you have bit more time to search out a few prices and then post back here as there is always someone who will know something about it.

Location is always an issue on ski holidays, it depends how much store you put by it. Personally, if you aren't fit enough to walk a few hundred mtrs in ski gear, then you might not be fit enough to ski anyway...but thats another point.
More central will be more costly.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, thanks very much for very good overall advice. Am indeed leaning more towards Austria at moment. Apres Ski is not a big factor for us as we don't drink really (Shocked horrors I know)

Price is key factor whilst taking into account I would like to make sure our first trip is first of many so maximum enjoyment from actual skiing is good.

One Austrian place that seems to come up cheap is St. Wolfgang but this is probably coz there is a 30min bus ride each way every day to the slopes!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cersei,

And its small and low.... none of which would be a problem if there was lots of snow around. The buses to and from might be tiresome though. I'd keep that up your sleeve for the moment. See what hotels and prices show for the resorts I've mentioned in Austria.

Or get you best price and throw it around on here so people can advise what they know about it
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks JT, am looking at Austrian resorts

There is a deal for Hotel Majestic in Sansicario in Italy. Looks good value at £269 for half board. Says 3 min walks to lifts and monorail (into heart of resort).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sansicario is in the Milky Way region, a very big area but an area I think is more ideal for early intermediates not absolute beginners like yourself. Looking at the piste map Sansicario own skiing area is mostly reds, I wouldn't recommend it to you.

Keep to Austria for the moment, the resorts my fellow snowheads have mentioned are ideal for you, out of the ones mentioned I've been to Soll and as a person who hadn't been skiing for 5 years beforehand, was a great place to learn it all again! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichardB, thanks. Definately a beginner and so best stick to Austrian deals. Snow cover is what I have to watch for over coming month now
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy