Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for good value for a newbie couple?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. Great site and so far, been very helpful in my search for more information on skiing.

We are a couple completely new to skiing in our 30s and would like advice on best value (cheaper the better really as luxury of hotel not important) for a week or 5 days trip in 1st week of February, 2007. Ideally, somewhere we can fly cheaply from Manchester and not too difficult a transfer from the airport. Good reasonable priced ski schools useful as we will require them!

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi and welcome cersei, There will be lots of answers soon, I would say Andorra has a good reputation for been cheap but with good ski schools.
But the season is very unsure at the moment, If you could wait a while before booking to find the best snow conditions that would be best.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Nick C.

I have also heard about Kaprun in Austria that has a good value package. May I ask if a ski package from Ski Solutions (anyone have any experience with them, good or bad?) for £304 (£199+£105 supplement for Manchester flights instead of Luton) for 7 nights at Hotel Annelies haus in Kaprun for 3rd Feb 2007 is good value or I am better off booking my own flights and hotels?

My only "concern" about Andorra was regarding apparent long trip from Barcelona? How long is it to get to Andorra? thanks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
cersei, check out Simon Butler Skiing based in Megève, France. They offer instruction, with British ski instructors, as part of the package, and are pretty good value for money. Megève is a lovely Alpine village, about 75 mins from Geneva Airport, with reasonable beginner and huge amounts of intermediate terrain - mainly below the tree line. Availability might be an issue at this stage though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cersei, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead We started skiing in our early 30's and went to Westendorf, in Austria with Inghams. We've since been back a few times, as a first place to ski it was pretty good. The mountain restaurants in Austria seem to be generally better (and cheaper) than those we've found in France and Switzerland; transfer to Westendorf is about 1.25 hours. For our first trip we stayed at the Theresiana hotel - which was relatively cheap. Another place we've been which would be relatively cheap is Val Cenis, in France - transfer is longer though. Westendorf and Val Cenis both have relatively small ski areas of their own, but for beginners there's plenty. There's a list of reports here.

Nick_C, transfers to Andorra are v. long, aren't they?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cersei, is the Kaprun deal h/b? I'd say Kaprun was a good place to go. It is beginner friendly and is near to Zell am See, which has plenty of non skiing options if you fancy an afternoon off.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do like Austria so that would be my pick.
I have not been to Andorra but I have a couple of workmates who leant there and said it was good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the info so far. Much appreciated.

Elizabeth B, Kaprun deal is only bed and breakfast.

Hoppo, looked up Westendof from Inghams and is £368pp for 7 nights from Manchester at Hotel SONNBLICK. Will put it on shortlist, thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cersei, the Sonnblick is a fair way from the nursery slopes. You might want to look at the Hotel Post, which is popular with the Irish and can be a bit noisy but is dead central. From what I remember the Hotel Briem is a little way out and I've not heard of the Hotel Austria but if it's where I think it is then it's pretty central too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hoppo, thanks for advice about Sonnblick.

Another alternate site I have found online is from fasttrackSki website which offers these:

Man-LYS for 7 nights Valloire, France, 1* self-catering for £189 which seems a bargain? There is a £25 fuel surcharge though(not sure for what? transport?) it claims to have easy nursery slopes close to resort.

Man-BGY for 7 nights Livigno, Italy for 3* self-catering for £214+£35 fuel surcharge.

Man-GRO for 7 nights Pas De La Casa, Andorra for 2* self-catering for £224+£35 fuel surcharge.

I presume these self-cxatering flats are reason why packages are cheaper? I do not mind if main points about ski holiday is fulfilled really. Any advice as always welcomed
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't know fasttrackski, if you're looking at self catering the thing to watch is the charge for under occupancy it can turn good looking headline deals really crappy. Fuel surcharge will be for the flight.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is also Man-SOF for Borovets, Bulgaria which is for Hotel Edelweiss, half board for 7 nights and costs £234+35 fuel surcharge. Total of £269 for half-board would make this good value. Anyone with advice on Bulgaria? Thanks!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hoppo, thanks for pointing out about occupancy as that could be the catch indeed since the fine print does state at bottom about prices based on maximum occupancy! Thanks.

Looks like shortlist between original option of Kaprun B&B for £304 and Borovet half-board which is even cheaper at £269.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cersei, cersei, however, if you don't do a 'package' holiday, and rent an apartment, you will pay a fixed price for the apartment, and no under-occupancy.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cersei, I'd say of those two, Kaprun would probably be the better bet. It is highly likely that the runs will be groomed to a better standard (which is very helpful for learners), and the snow is guaranteed (with the Kitzstenhorn glacier). When I went to Borovets in the second week of February in 2005 the locals were saying that they were only just getting some decent snow. I enjoyed Borovets, and the rest of my group, who were beginners enjoyed their instruction, but I can honestly say from what I saw and what they said, that it was more enthusiasm from the instructor than communication! If you can, Andorra would be the best by far for your needs I would say. It is fairly cheap, the quality is usually good for the price, and the ski school is probably the best (non British run - i.e. expensive) ski school in Europe for English speakers. Believe me, the communication element will be key as you learn - we went to Soldeu in Andorra the year after Borovets, and the group who were still having lessons said it was infinitely better/easier as their instructor was a native English speaker. Their progress proved their thoughts.
ski holidays
skisimon, thanks for advice. After reading Resort thread about Borovets, am now leaning back towards Kaprun and your suggestions may have just cemented it. Do you know if English language barrier is relevant in Kaprun?

Which resort in Andorra would you recommend then? Thanks
ski holidays
cersei,
For two people I'd book later a) Prices may yet fall further and more importantly b) Some places may remain short of snow if it turns out to be a bad snow year. Book later and you can see where has the snow, there are very few places that are unsuitable for beginners.
snow report
cersei, I dont think you would find English language barrier anywhere in Austria
May be worth looking at HB deals as well as BB as they could work out a fair bit cheeper
Also if you have had a hard days skiing it can be an effort to head out again for food

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 3-12-06 20:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
cersei, the language barrier shouldn't be too bad in Austria - but (big but), you can never be sure with a foreign ski school. They'll put you with an English speaking instructor, but how good will his English be? They may have good practice in the technical and biomechanical terms to help teach you to ski, but will they be able to think outside the box in order to explain things? I'm almost certain you'd get good instruction and an instructor who's English is far better than my German! In Andorra (and I will emphasise the Grandvalira area, as I haven't visited the Pal-Arinsal area), a huge number of the instructors are native English speakers (lots of Brits, Kiwis and Aussies teaching over there), so they will be able to have that ability to think laterally about how to explain something, which can make a huge difference in the amount you progress in your week (and I'd say that would in turn affect your enjoyment of the week Very Happy ).

In Andorra, I would probably recommend Soldeu - a good selection of good, reasonably priced hotels*. There's plenty of good beginners terrain above Soldeu too (and a gondola you can get back down if skiing the run back to the resort seems a bit much one day). It's also where I went last Christmas (good snow that year - but February should be fine pretty much wherever) and got reports from the group on the ski school at the end of each day, so can confidently recommend it. *Also, being one of only a small number of resorts serviced by one set of fligths, and having fairly large hotels, you would be very well placed to follow T Bar's advice. Soldeu is a good bet for a cheap, last-minute deal (with someone like igluski.com), meaning you could end up staying in one of the H/B Sport Hotels (very nice) for about £300 or less. Another advantage of Soldeu for beginners is that it is a small village, so wherever you stay, you won't have very far to get to the lifts in ski boots!

If you want to glean anything else about Soldeu just ask. I've been there (admittidly only once) with learner skiers quite recently, so should be able to field any questions on the village/ski area. There are also a few posters who ski there regularly (rob and sharron for example) who may be able to answer more difficult questions! Very Happy
snow conditions
cersei, I would scrub Borovets - sorry Bulgaria. I've had pupils who've learnt there and it's been a nightmare. they've had equipment that's totally out of date (makes a big difference) and poor instruction. I would go for Kaprun if I were you. I wouldn't worry too much about the level of English - there really isn't a problem with most ski schools. The instructors may not be able to discuss the finer points of the world economy, but they will be able to teach you to ski in English.

Alternatively come here - we're not expensive and although it is the French holidays, the Brits won't have started yet. LDA has it all! Also you could probably rent an appartment from another Snowhead and keep it in the family! snowHead snowHead
latest report
I've not used the ski school in Kaprun, but the two in Zell both have a lot of native English speakers. The Austrians have to pass their instructor exams in English rather than German, so they should all be pretty good.

With regard to T Bar's suggestion, snow reliability won't be an issue for Kaprun due to the glacier.
snow report
Elizabeth B,
Thats very true but a glacier can be a fairly bleak place in early Feb and I'd rather be lower if possible.
snow conditions
cersei, Soldeu is quite good for learners and most Tour operaters runtrips there.
Prices are cheap and the place is friendly , with english speaking ski instructors
we learnt there with other friends a few years back (all in their 30s) and have been 3 times in total
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/ski2006/index.html
http://www.geocities.com/daggers_jones/skiing2005/skiing2005.html
snow report
cersei, I skied Borovets last year at the end of Feb and it was fine. Very cheap and the skiing was ok. It is however very seedy and not the beautiful alpine vilage that you may have in mind for a first trip. The ski school is meant to be ok, and if you're on a really tight budget then it's an option. Actually, we stayed at the Edelweiss thatn you mentioned and it was prob the only bit if the trip i would reccomend without conditions - certainly better than some places i've stayed in the Alps.

I won't be going back there, but it's ok, and for a cheap trip, which was all i could afford last year, it was fine.
snow conditions
CerseiWelcome to Snowheads

I had friends who learnt in Kaprun, and whilst it was apparently good, they did say they suffered with the cold up on the glacier. Now, as the old saw has it, there's no such thing as bad weather, only poor clothing choice, but it as well to be aware when you are starting out.
snow conditions
My brother and friends have learnt to ski in Andorra- all ski schools very good, especially the one in Arinsal. Im taking a friend back there end of Jan to learn to board.
snow report
cersei, I learnt in Andorra (after attempting in various other resorts rolling eyes ) - and had a whale of a time Very Happy In fact, there's seven of us going back to Soldeu this year snowHead
latest report
Thanks everyone for very good advice given and much appreciated.

does anyone know if deals like with ifuski.com will go up rather than down if booked later, as advised by Tbar? Looking like Kaprun at moment but will research it all a bit more

Thanks again
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On Kaprun - I don't think anyone mentioned that, if the weather is bad/cold, you can head off to Zell am See, which is 20 mins away. However, with good weather, it's a beautiful place to learn skiing - rather flat and great views.

Snowcover should not be an issue in Kaprun, it's a glacier.

I also like Val Cenis, not a crowded area, off the main track.
snow report
Cedric, thanks very much. That aspect of having Zell to visit makes Kaprun more attractive.

Only part now that makes me hesistant to book Kaprun through this web package is though listed price £199 from Luton, it has £105 supplement pp for Manchester where we are based. For over £300, I can instead opt for Hotel Palerine in Arinsal, Andorra which is £265+43 supplement but is 3* hotel with HALF-BOARD instead of breakfast only for Kaprun.

So, any advice on Arinsal also much appreciated.
ski holidays
cersei, welcome to snowHeads! I must admit to being deeply envious of your position... with just the two of you, you are spoilt for choice and should be able to get a really good deal. And you've got loads of time to get it in! The only thing that may be a worry is getting a flight from Manchester... but at the worst you could get an early train to London. OK it shouldn't come to that! Snow will not be a problem anywhere in the first week of February... or I'm a monkey's uncle!

I would also consider La Plagne if such comes up in the bargain deals. Lots of rolling blues, I discovered the joy of ski over there. You won't need the full Paradiski lift pass though, La Plagne is more than enough for first-timers.

Good luck and enjoy the search!
snow report
TallTone, thanks for advice.

Looking more into it, it now seems more viable to consider other places that for about £30 more, we can get half or even full-board, which should be significant savings on food overall for the week, right?

Other places in Austria which I would welcome any advice, bearing in mind for us absolute beginners and ideal if village/nearby town to visit as well:

Niederau
St. Wolfgang
Alpbach
ski holidays
cersei, £30 might just about buy you both dinner one day, so definitely... Smile

Half-board for sure; if you want to keep the cost down, take breakfast bars or other food-on-the-go with you from the UK to munch during the day and eat well at breakfast and dinner! If you need something a little more substantial, see if the chalet staff will do you a packed lunch. Having something to eat at a mountain restaurant is part of the experience for me, but it doesn't come cheap - although I hear Austria is cheaper than France. A stop for coffee or hot chocolate will set you back five or six euros, plan for two a day or take a flask Wink

One other thing to bear in mind is that there is usually a night off for the chalet/hotel staff, so you will have to eat out one night. I am sure other snowHeads will have good advice on ways to save money, there may be a thread somewhere - if not, start one!
ski holidays
TallTone, thanks.

St. Wolfgang is best value offering full board. I see from website reviews it is much smaller (though half the distance from Salzburg) but should be adequate for beginner?
ski holidays
Haven't heard of the resort but it looks awfully small. Even as a beginner, I can't see much to interest you beyond three or four days. However, a resort is more than a piste map...

La Rosiere gets a mixed press on here (I won't bore you!) but is meant to be good for beginners. I am taking my family of five there at half-term (it will be my third week on skis) but that is too late for me to be able to tell you...
snow report
Price you mentioned earlier is good value unless you wait and get late availability. You have the advantage of seeing how good the conditions are first. The only problem is the week you are going. It is getting into high season, French school holidays etc and there may not be too many deals to be had.

If you go DIY you can get a good price on a flight and as Helen Beaumont, if you book directly with estate agencly you could get a studio apartment for less money than a tour operator will charge.

Good luck and enjoy your hols.

Welcome to snowHead 's
ski holidays
TallTone, thanks for thoughts. Main ski area of Postalm is 30 minutes away with 30km of runs covered by 12 lifts. Of course these figures don't mean much to me currently snowHead Apparently for more extensive skiing, Gosau is an hour's drive away and includes 65km of slopes covered by nine drag lifts. The area is well supplied with cross-country trails and other activities include curling, snow shoeing, operetta evenings and torchlight walks. (cut and paste)

As an absolute ski virgin, surely I can find plenty to do even at a "small" resort between ski school, enjoying the lake, visiting city of Salzburg for a day and having option of more extensive skiing if we really progress fast (and I doubt this heh)?
ski holidays
Quote:

St. Wolfgang
Alpbach

I have only been to St Wolfgang in summer. pretty, lovely lake, but quite a long bus ride from the slopes? And slopes are v low altitude? Alpbach is a more serious resort, but apart from very limited pistes in the centre it's a bus ride to the slopes - but a short ride, and an efficient service. Beautiful, friendly village and when we went we had an excellent instructor who spoke brilliant English (he had been a PE teacher for two years in the Midlands!). The range of slopes for beginners, and the progression, would be much better somewhere like La Plagne but to say it lacks charm is an understatement. It's not just a matter of size, for beginners. You don't need many slopes but you do need the right ones. Some places have a scary progression from nursery slope to quite stiff blues which can be very discouraging and I don't personally think Alpbach is a great place for first week skiers (though others will no doubt disagree). The first week of February is a great week to choose, still low season (French hols start 10 Feb I think) so you could easily wait; there'll be plenty of great deals for two and if I were you I wouldn't book yet. You might find a catered chalet the best bet financially, because you can come in after skiing, have tea and cake provided, at no extra cost, drink your own duty free, buy beers at fair prices from the chalet staff, unlimited plonk with meals, etc. Having to pay extra for every cup of coffee and glass of wine will add up over a week. There'll be some good last minute chalet deals for two people who are flexible about destination, and you can get rapid feedback from here on any deals you find available.
snow conditions
pam w, thanks! can you tell me anymore about St. Wolfgang then please? suitable for beginners? Thanks
snow report
cersei wrote:
Hi all. Great site and so far, been very helpful in my search for more information on skiing.

We are a couple completely new to skiing in our 30s and would like advice on best value (cheaper the better really as luxury of hotel not important) for a week or 5 days trip in 1st week of February, 2007. Ideally, somewhere we can fly cheaply from Manchester and not too difficult a transfer from the airport. Good reasonable priced ski schools useful as we will require them!

Thanks in advance!

Austria and Andorra are good bets. St Wolfgang (Austria), St Johann (Austria) and Soldeu (Andorra) are options. Bulgaria is also a cost-effective choice. Borovets is fine for beginners.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy