Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids freeze in cotton rollnecks....?

Poster: A snowHead
Mother-in-law has just been on the phone to say that she has seen an article which says that putting your children in cotton rollnecks when skiing is the worst thing you can do - because if they get wet then they will freeze.

Obviously I know that cotton stays wet when it gets wet - but is this a bit of scaremongering? Or am I a dreadful parent for contemplating putting them in cotton rollnecks? The last ski trip I was on all the kids seemed to have rollnecks as one of their layers - and they certainly looked cotton.

I would be very interested in your thoughts. Smile

Does this mean I need to find a supplier who sells microfleeces for boys age 4 and 7? I have fleeces for them but they are not exactly micro!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cotton sucks! literally. Polyprop' is available cheaply at M&S, it does get a bit pongybut drys quickly and helps the breathing process of Gore-tex and the like. To put cotton underneath a breathable membrane or coating renders it usless, therefore the expensive item of clothing becomes a complete waste of cash. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER, not many of us can afford Goretex skiwear for our kids though. vanderstel, I got some microfleece tops for my two when they were younger from Kidski . They didn't freeze to death in their cotton ones though. We had loads of them from Gap at one point.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen Beaumont, Sorry Helen, i used GORE-Tex as a generic term for breathable coatings, now available cheaply by all brands, such as Trespass and the like.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For me cotton next to skin can get cold cotton further out doesnt seem to bother me I often wear a cotton shirt over a thermal vest with a ski jacket on top. I was once given cotton 'thermals' and didnt check the label and was frozen.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
vanderstel, We all survived over the last 40 years with cotton, why now are this generation of children going to be frozen to death?(not global warming again please)
Yes if you can afford to dress them in microfleeces, but it is not the end of the world.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER,sorry.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dypcdiver wrote:
vanderstel, We all survived over the last 40 years with cotton,

Make that "wool"

Quote:
why now are this generation of children going to be frozen to death?(not global warming again please)

Central heating.

Quote:

Yes if you can afford to dress them in microfleeces,

Or grandma's scratchy knit sweaters

Quote:

but it is not the end of the world.

A cold wet child sure sounds like it though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dypcdiver, Well most people wore good old wool rather than cotton for winter persuits. Cotton is pretty nasty stuff to wear once it's damp but wool isn't as bad.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Turtle fur as we call them are the perfect and cheap accessory for kids (and olds). Nice and soft and can be pulled up over the face.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Until I discovered (? like columbus and america?) fleecey things, my standard kit (upper half) was:

-cotton undershirt
-cotton polo t-shirt
-cotton sweatshirt
-SOS lined jacket. About as waterproof as a t-bag and not nearly as fragrant.

I may have added an additional cotton sweatshirt for really cold days.

So...vanderstel, it is scaremongering, unless you are packing your kids off on an unsupprted back country expedition.

HOWEVER, modern fabrics just perform sooooooooooooooo much better - when used properly and a cotton layer will reduce their performance significantly. A fleece is a fleece and once you aren't paying for the name they're incredibly hard wearing, easy to launder and warm. so...it's a bit of a no-brainer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarpa wrote:
Dypcdiver, Well most people wore good old wool rather than cotton for winter persuits. Cotton is pretty nasty stuff to wear once it's damp but wool isn't as bad.

Strangely enough, wool is all the rage again!

vanderstel - I'm with Dypcdiver and David Murdoch in the "it didn't seem to hurt me too badly, so it's unlikely to hurt them too badly" camp.

But also agree that thermal underwear and fleeces from M&S, Primark and TKMAXX is so (relatively) cheap nowadays that you'll be better off going with that.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and advice. I think I will look out for some more fleeces (do they really have to be MICROfleece?).

Can anybody tell me what (non-cotton) layers they put their children in? Should I be going for a proper thermal and then a fleece or should there be something else in between? (We're off to Saas Grund/Fee at New Year and the boys are 4 and 7.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vanderstel, No, that don't have to be micofleece, micorfleece is just less bulky but still warm.

I would think that the prime object at that age would be to stay warm...they aren't going to unsupervised and if they are cold, I would think they would let you know soon enough. So warmth over wicking properties in this instance, IMV.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vanderstel, lots of thin layers are better than a thick one though. Thermal base layer, microfleece, and an extra layer if it is a cold day, or your child feels the cold, jacket on top and they should be warm as toast. A good hat or a ski helmet and gloves helps too, with a spare pair (kids tend to get them wet throwing snowballs, falling over etc. ).
snow report
Layers are good, as kids also get very grumpy when they are too hot. Having seated profusely, they peel everything off and then get cold very quickly.
ski holidays
Football tops that kids wear all the time these days are really good for layers for kids - They are not cotton and they are light - Perfect for most days
latest report
Cotton tops will not cause your kids to freeze to death, I wore them as a youngster for many seasons and I'm still alive.

Now modern fabrics are much better but the most important thing is to ensure that when the kids have finished pouring snow down each others necks they go inside and change into something warm and dry, kids will always play in the snow, the important factor is to get them warm and dry afterwards no matter what fabric they are wearing
ski holidays
Quote:

Mother-in-law has just been on the phone to say that she has seen an article which says that putting your children in cotton rollnecks when skiing is the worst thing you can do - because if they get wet then they will freeze.

Persuade granny to get them some nice thermally things for Christmas - Decathlon, or tk maxx, cheap as chips. Also plenty of little fleeces and things in charity shops (suits, too, and kids definitely don't need Goretex because if it's ghastly weather you'll not leave them out on the mountain all day, will you?). Cotton is not good, but yes, we all used to wear cotton rollnecks - nice purple ones for under the pink, purple and navy one-piece suits. We survived. And loads of kids wear cotton tracker trousers too. If they get wet, as D G Orf says, get them dry afterwards. My kids got sooooo hot dashing around outside tobogganing on their bottoms and throwing snowballs that they didn't seem to notice being soaking wet, coming in with even their wet hands glowing warm. But kids vary. My niece was skinny and constantly cold, no matter what. Her brother was always "boiling", hurtling around with his coat undone and a red shining face. If you end up in a resort in perishing cold weather you can always buy a few extra bits locally.

You could take MiL to look after them indoors on those cold days.....
snow report
Quote:

You could take MiL to look after them indoors on those cold days.....

Like that idea for another year! This time kids are going to her after we get back for a couple of days while we sleep before going back to work. Happy MiL, happy kids, happy (sleeping) parents Very Happy
snow report
Where cotton is an issue is when it gets wet as it holds it close to the skin, and takes more energy from the body to evaporate. It can make you feel colder than wet, bare skin in some situations. This will only be an issue if you are outside, and wet and not doing exercise. The worst/main time will be on (exposed) chairlifts or if standing around during lessons, but only if wet. So if they don't sweat, or haven't stuffed snow down each other, or fallen much then it won't be an issue. Even then the worst thing is that they are likely to feel cold(er than otherwise). But as they are there to enjoy themselves, (as others have said) why not help them feel more comfortable? Obviously even the best, and most expensive wicking and breathable clothing will only cope with so much sweat before being overwhelmed - but it will dry overnight much faster than cotton (and not necessarily clog up all the radiators) so you'll need less items of clothing with you.

The much-maligned (in some circles) Regatta are very good (esp X-Ert range) and reasonably cheap (esp. if you know the right shops - try Go Outdoors or Decathlon for example, or factory outlets eg at Hatfield Galleria). This stuff is also good at other times (day-to-day, hiking, exertive play), not just when skiing so you can get plenty of wear out of it. I see no reason these days to have any specific ski-only gear (apart from perhaps the trousers - but even that depends). There are plenty of other brands as good and as cheap (or cheaper). One thing to remember though with fleece is the more breathable it is, the less wind-proof so it's worth having one more wind-proof one and one more breathable one for different conditions (though some friends who travelled round the world reckoned that a light, 100-weight fleece was their best and most useful piece of equipment).
snow report
vanderstel, Kids don't sweat like we adults do, but there are plenty of sources for younger 'poly' based under-clothing and microfleece tops Matelan for a start and all the above, for outer wear. Head hands and feet are where you really need to keep them warm
snow report
skanky wrote:
...I see no reason these days to have any specific ski-only gear (apart from perhaps the trousers - but even that depends).

This man speaks the truth
ski holidays
vanderstel,
Lots of good points but one think I would add if you are going to a reasonabley high north facing resort in the middle of winter be prepared for it to be very cold. It may well not be but you should definatley be prepared for cold weather.
snow conditions
Polycotton is better, but any manmade fibre doesn't absorb the dampness as much. And as skanky, pointed out - wearing a windproof fleece under a breathable shell makes the whole outfit less breathable.
latest report
Off to Xscape (MK) this weekend for eldest child to have a lesson so will have a look in the shops while I am there. Shall try not to bankrupt myself in the process!
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont's right, lots of thin layers. Thick ski jackets ... what a waste of time! rolling eyes

Here's another tip - buy it, wash it ... if it comes out of the washing machine pretty dry it's fine. Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy