Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please stop my tails skidding...

Poster: A snowHead
On Thursday evening I went to the ski maintenence demo in S&R at Chertsey. 2 hours excellent tuition (hands on) and it was free. A big thanks to S&R. Next is the Thursday before Xmas but you need to phone and put your name down.

But the real point of this post is that during the eveing I mentioned that I am having trouble elininating my tail skids when carving. The tutor suggested it might be my boots that need adjusting (cant or cuff) or that my bindings were mounted incorrectly - I presume he meant too far forward or back (I didn't ask).

What are your thoughts ?

Mike
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mike.healy, on the boot front, if the foot is not secure on a good footbed and the cuff not aligned to your lower leg then control thoughout the turn will be comprimized in some way, not sure what he ment about bindings...could be fore/aft but more likely to be boots and or technique causing this problem
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Technique ?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 2-12-06 23:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nah, it must be the boots or the bindings....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By the way, I'm a lightweight (75Kgs) on a 174cm Rossi B2, maybe I'm not flexing them enough ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mike.healy, could be that, my money would be on the boots first[ then again that is what i do all day] Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mike.healy wrote:
Technique ?
correct
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, no no he definately needs a pair of those expensive boots Laughing Laughing [ in joke sorry]
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Rossi B2

I think that's your answer (in all seriousness).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM wrote:
Bode Swiller, no no he definately needs a pair of those expensive boots Laughing Laughing [ in joke sorry]
Ok, you're right. Spend 800 quid with CEM and those tails will stop sliding immediately.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, Please tell me you're not being serious (in all seriousness)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whatever else people may have against B2s, IMO they're fairly straightforward to carve on.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Angulate more
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Rossignol UK importers have told me "Having spoken to both the rossignol retail trainers, and the rossignol brand manager for the U.K i now have the following information. B2's in 166 would be better suited for your use."

I tried B2's at Xscape before I bought mine but I think I tried 166's.

Now I don't know what to do - maybe hire shorter ones is resort but we are probably going to Bansko and I haven't seen B2's in the shops there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Um, once you've got your boots sorted out, then make sure you complete the turns.
snow report
How tall.. ? 174 isn't a big ski to turn. Boots may have an affect but as long as you aren't really short then the skis should be ok.
You may also need to really accentutate what you do, which in a way, could be a good thing. You will have to nail the technique for good.

Washing out on your turns is a consequence of the tails coming round too quick, so your edges have released. If you mean to do this, then this is a good thing, its only a problem when you don't want to do it so stay in the turn longer... lenghten the turn shape
latest report
B2's are not famously stiff - if you have decent technique you should be able to bend 174s alright. How easily can you get onto your outide ski big toe edge? If that's a problem then your canting is badly off and needs fixing. I suspect Ghost has it right though -try what feels like "excessive" angulation and see what happens.
snow report
CEM wrote:

Don't want to turn this into a deep technical boots disscussion, but do you mean the expensive orange ones or the even more expensive green ones? wink

Seriously try a series of elimination, start with the cheapest option first

1) Try another a pair of rental skis. if you still wash out move onto No 2.
2) Take a lesson with a good ski teacher who understands how boots effect your skiing and get him to comment.
3) See a proper boot fitter then buy a pair of orange or green expensive ski boots.
snow conditions
I'd guess your weight was too far back at the end of the turn. Nowt like it for washing out the tails.

Try a lesson, or just have a coach look at a couple of your runs, before splashing out on kit.
snow report
marc gledhill wrote:
weight was too far back at the end of the turn.
...or, even more likely if you originally learned on old straight skis, or with an old school instructor, too much pressure on the front of the boot/ski. Most likely though is just tensing up when facing down the fall line, trying to overturn the skis, overpressuring the ski generally and completing the turn too fast.

Equipment may make the problem less or more pronounced, but the basic problem will be technique. As marc gledhill says, fix that and stop worrying about kit (unless you're trying to get B2s to hold an edge on glacier ice - clue...you won't).
snow conditions
There are many possible reasons for this, including equipment mis-match, equipment mis-fit, and technique. With technique, there are many reasons that this could happen, from the small and subtle to the grand and glorious. Unfortunately, without observing your skiing and your stance in your equipment, it's all but impossible to determine what the issue could be.
latest report
I don't want to sound like I'm saying anything bad about your technique wink , but once your carving becomes second nature it won't matter what equipment your on. Some of the skiers I coach use rear entry hire boots and dodgy blunt hire skis but can still comfortably carve turns of varying radii. Obvoiusly it suddenly becomes much easier when their parents buy them the first pair of slalom skis Very Happy
latest report
I agree entirely with iblair. Technique is far more important than kit. A good skier can carve turns using any old crap. The B2s are not going to be the problem. Boots may have an influence if they're a long way off, so it won't hurt to get them checked.
latest report
yep I agree with iblair too
snow report
Well, if it's an equipment issue, I'll go back to what I've said before:

A properly fitted pair of boots will make a bigger difference to your skiing than any other piece of equipment.
ski holidays
iblair, I reckon that depends on your definition of "carve" and "second nature." Twisted Evil

It also depends on the terrain and conditions on and in which one wants to carve... Wink
latest report
Whats your definition of 'Carve'
I would suggest;
2 clean lines in the snow
No excessive pressure anywhere in the turn i.e manage the pressure
Clean edge to edge change i.e no skid at the beginning of the turn
Blush
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
Whats your definition of 'Carve'
I would suggest;
2 clean lines in the snow
No excessive pressure anywhere in the turn i.e manage the pressure
Clean edge to edge change i.e no skid at the beginning of the turn
Blush
So, in your opinion, "carve" means arc-to-arc skiing?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh dear oh dear oh dear........... Little Angel
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Sorry. I was looking for an excuse to post... wink NehNeh
snow report
mike.healy, have a good lesson with a good instructor on snow. Nothing to do with kit.
snow conditions
ssh wrote:
veeeight wrote:
Sorry. I was looking for an excuse to post... wink NehNeh

Wasn't having a go at you, ssh, rather people's perceptions of carving vs. arcing and riding the sidecut.....

Another can of worms!

Quote:
Nothing to do with kit.

False.
snow report
veeeight, OK, well maybe kit will make relatively easier or harder, but good technique will overcome any equipment issues, IMHO.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, so will bad technique.

e.g. someone who can turn to the right easier than the left, and the instructor works on making stronger moves to get the left turns working, when maybe all they needed was to get their boots adjusted properly. Now, you might say that's not bad technique, but if that person then gets their boots sorted so they stand flat, etc, then they will need to unlearn their strong left turn to get it balanced, or learn a stronger right turn, again, to get things back into balance, imho.
snow conditions
David Murdoch, In this case (splitting hairs)....those that can do whatever, can do it regardless (sort of) of the equipment they are using. Those that have not yet learned to do it, whatever that is, won't be able to learn without equipment that is suitable, but, once thay have, will be able to use more unsuitable equipment that when learning.

Does that make this any clearer ?
latest report
ski, Did you use to write for Donald Rumsfeld.

snowHead
latest report
Sage, I was just thinking that!
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
...someone who can turn to the right easier than the left, and the instructor works on making stronger moves to get the left turns working, when maybe all they needed was to get their boots adjusted properly. Now, you might say that's not bad technique, but if that person then gets their boots sorted so they stand flat, etc, then they will need to unlearn their strong left turn to get it balanced, or learn a stronger right turn, again, to get things back into balance, imho.
This is worth repeating.

The human body has a miraculous ability to compensate for all kinds of misalignments and out-of-balance situations. We also come in all shapes and sizes. As a result, anecdotal evidence from someone else ("These are the best boots!") invariably turn out to be false at least as often as they are true. This is especially true (IMO) for those who are trying to create a specific effect on-snow (like carving). What works for one person on their gear may not work for another on their gear. Someone using straight skis cannot carve as cleanly or as tightly as someone on dramatically shaped skis. And they will likely use very different technique to do it (although using the same skills).

As an anecdote, my tail wash for the past few years has been caused by an old habit with my hands. I tend to cross my hand in front of my body, look out over my shoulder down the hill, reach my hand downhill to plant/touch my pole. The result of all this is upper body rotation that becomes a big driver for my turns. Overrotation at the end of the turns causes my tails to wash. I didn't know this, since my edging skills are very good from my racing days, and in fact I told Weems that I thought I used edging as my primary mechanism for creating turns. He told me that he thought I primarily used rotation, which surprised me greatly!

Now, do I have the skills to link arc-to-arc turns? Yes. Have I done it? Yes. However, are there movements and habits that inhibit and possibly disturb this? Definitely.

My change in boots this year has also made a truly significant difference.

My point: it's impossible to tell without a skilled, objective observer.
snow report
I know I wouldn't trade my hard earned skills for a new pair of boots Wink
snow report
ssh, very interesting Mr Bond. I wonder if I do the same thing? Hmmm, must have a lesson this season or next.

I guess my point was really more (although clearly not expressed in any sort of clear fashion!) that my default position on "my tails wash out" would be that one is doing something wrong. And absolutely I would not suggest as a first idea that one's kit might need some form of adjustment - unless it is patently obvious that Mr Healy (I assume Mike isn't short for Michaela) has a gross physical stance/misalignment problem. Especially as (as I understand these things, to a very limited degree) boot "canting" adjusters as fitted really only act to align the shin for a comfort result.

WTFH does have a valid point, to the extent that someone with very good technique will adapt to whatever kit they're using. V8 has a point in that I really shouldn't generalise quite so strongly. But I will stick to my guns to the point that someone with very good technique will adapt to whatever kit they're using.

Ergo,

mike.healy, I would reasonably confidently expect that an adjustment to technique will work better than new skis.

NOOOOOOOOO! What have I said????

Sorry, correction, NEW SKIS ARE ALWAYS THE BEST IDEA!!!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy