Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any Place, Any Method - What to do?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

If money and time were no object what would be the best way to improve ones skiing?

Intensive lessons?
Week long courses?
Where?

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blindside, Assuming you could spend all winter (or multiple winters) on the snow, then I would say regular once a week lessons and plenty of skiing and practising in between.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Blindside wrote:

If money and time were no object what would be the best way to improve ones skiing?

Become a ski instructor and pick up a racing avocation.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was recently told by an instructor that my technique exceeds my experience. This being the case, what I need is time on the snow, with occasional private lessons (say one or possibly two per week of skiing) to ensure I develop and don't get bad habits creeping in. He thinks ski school would be counter-productive, as what I need is time to practice, not time spent in groups being shown things I already know how to do anyway, but haven't really had time to develop into muscle memory or try out in a wide range of conditions and on a wide range of pistes.

Personally, I find courses a bit too intensive for me, giving insufficient time to practice the things you've just learned. For a normal punter, who gets to ski a few weeks each year (3 or 4 if we are lucky, plus the indoor fridge), I think I get more out of private lessons plus lots of practice.

However I do think there are people who learn better in groups, and it is probably an individual preference thing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't like intensive whole week courses for peeps with more than about 5 weeks skiing under their belt. You need the practise/consolidation time. To pay someone to watch you do it is a waste of their time and your money! Of course lots of instructors are just interested in selling lessons ...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I on the other hand relish week long courses with experienced skiers. At that level terrain becomes all important, and we ski everything from groomers to steeps, powder, bumps, coloiurs, cornices etc. etc.

It's all about modifying your basic fundementals and technique for better performance and precision at higher speeds, and to apply this to the varied terrain and conditions. And we'll go into the racecourse as well!

At that level I work on exposure to a variety of situations, setting up environments to enable clients to deveop their own solutions (under guidance of course).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blindside, Move to resort, ski all day, drink all night.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Blindside, move to a resort, drink all day, drink all night.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chris, I thought Blindside wanted to improve his skiing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight wrote:
I on the other hand relish week long courses with experienced skiers. At that level terrain becomes all important, and we ski everything from groomers to steeps, powder, bumps, coloiurs, cornices etc. etc.

It's all about modifying your basic fundementals and technique for better performance and precision at higher speeds, and to apply this to the varied terrain and conditions. And we'll go into the racecourse as well!

At that level I work on exposure to a variety of situations, setting up environments to enable clients to deveop their own solutions (under guidance of course).

That sounds like my ideal week Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As time is no object I'd echo the above & move to a ski town for the winter - IMO there is no substitute for time on snow in the full spectrum of conditions though the once a week tune up with the same instructor wouldn't hurt either.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I can understand the benefits of using the same instructor, but I think it is disadvantageous to stick to one all the time - because one instructor may focus on one thing more than anything else, and their style/method of teaching may be great, but you may also be missing out on other possibilities.

In terms of instruction, if money was no object, I'd take a mixture of private lessons - 1 on 1, and small group lessons - say in groups of 4 or 5. The benefit of a good group lesson is that you can learn from others, and observe them - spotting things they do well, that you do badly, etc, and this gives you a chance to discuss and improve.

I'd try to avoid more than about 4/5 days of lessons in a row, because while working with an instructor is good, you need to get the mileage in on your own as well, experimenting without having someone there to tell you what to do. (and to just go out and have fun, after all, you're supposed to be having FUN!)

(just my opinions, and they might not work for everyone)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Buy a chalet and live there.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You lot have got me drooling now. See, I've left a puddle on the desk Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WT FHat, ah, but would you teach in order to learn?
snow report
comprex, if you give up learning, you give up living
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy