Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens - Bring it Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Well im off to val thorens in 2 weeks for boarder week and to be honest the weather isnt looking to great, has anyone got any good nes to bring me involving large dumps of snow or previous December holidays when it snowed last minute?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wrcleaver, Welcome to snowHeads. The long term forecasts seem to indicate that from the middle of next week the weather pattern which has been keeping the Alps warm and dryish will begin to break down. Hopefully this mean that more wintry weather will be on the cards.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So there should be a nice dump of snow by the 16th?

Awesome!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wrcleaver, not sure that anyone can say with confidence that there will be a nice dump. But there's more hope of fresh snow than there was a few days ago Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wrcleaver, I was in VT for 1st week of December about 3 years ago - the snow had arrived about ten day earlier and there had been none before then. Fingers crossed for you wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quite why a story about why it snowed once before in a December long, long ago (or even last December) should make anyone feel confident it will do the same THIS December is utterly beyond me... but if it makes him feel better, hey, who am I to argue. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
carled,
I don't think snow in December in the alps is a wholly abnormal phenomenen. Anniepen, was I feel possibly reminding us of this?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wrcleaver, at least there is some snow. Some places look as though mountain biking is the only option!

Oh, and welcome to snowHead Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar, Thank you - I was. That WAS the question asked wasn't it? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
well looking at snow-forecast.com, 25cms due in next 6 days village level and nearly 50cms higher up

That has to stay around, dosen't it?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hope SO!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My point was badly phrased... Wrcleaver's, question was yet another in the long line of "will it snow...", "how much snow will there be...", "will the snow be good on the xth of x in x resort..." and so on. Wrcleaver asked for tales of previous December hols when it had snowed last minute. What I'm trying to point out is that there is no point whatsoever getting excited about a holiday 20, 10, 13, 9, 11, 1, 4, whatever years ago when it snowed just before the person arrived in resort as it has not the slightest influence on whether it will do so again! Why get the hopes of (apparently) inexperienced newcomers to skiing/boarding up by giving them the impression that weather is repetitive, predictable, reliable or anything else other than totally random?

I KNOW this is how newcomers to the sport feel as I did when I started and so have many others to the groups I have arranged over the years. I've had to gently break it to many disappointed newcomers that it isn't always snowy when you go skiing/boarding! The sooner they realise this, the better and there is no point sugar coating it otherwise.

Anybody reading this wanting to know if it will be snowy when you go skiing next... sorry, no-one knows. If it isn't, what are you going to do? cancel your holiday? No. So don't get interested in weather forecasts until at the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM 1 week before you go and even then it'll only give you a rough idea of potential conditions. Weather forecasts are only (sort of) reliable a few days out. There is no rule that says that because it was snowy this time last year, it will be again and vice versa. Learn to enjoy what you do get and don't rely on fantastic snow conditions every time you go.

Before anyone wades in with a, "keep your hat on" comment, I'm perfectly calm, rational and sane about the whole thing, I just hate to see people being misled!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, but you know how anxious we all are. Most of us know it might not snow, and have experienced bad conditions, poor snow, ets. It doesn't stop us relating stories of when 'there was no snow until the day before we arrived' though, as it has happened to some of us, me included, our trip to Whistler springs to mind. SO far though, touch that large piece of wood, we have never had a holiday where skiing was not possible at all.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CrowJersey, have you actually bothered reading any of the recent posts about snow-forecast? It doesn't appear so. All the current GFS charts show (which is what snow-forecast uses) is that there are promising signs of a change in the recent warm & turgid weather conditions in the near future. There may be way more snowfall than snow-guess predicts and there may well be much less. Hear me: NO-ONE KNOWS! NOT EVEN SNOW-FORECAST!

IF it snows and IF it stays cold, the snow will remain in good condition. If it gets warm and wet, the snow will not last as long. It's simple physics!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh yes, and some of us are glass half-full people, not glass half-empty. We like to be optomistic and make the most of it.
snow conditions
Helen, I know... I have had many, many "poor snow" holidays when I've had a fantastic time by making the best of what is available... I'd like to encourage all these people to do the same, rather than get in a tizz about whether it will snow, how much it will snow, whether it will stay there if it does snow, etc, etc... I'm trying to step in and stop them buying the snake oil that Snow-guess is selling, basically!
snow conditions
Just imagine if they buy into the snow-guess fairy tails and go telling all their co-holiday makers how it's going to snow loads... what then if they get out there and find rain instead? It's not a case of being pessimistic, just being realistic. If you get great snow, that's the icing on the cherry on top of the cake, not the cake itself...
latest report
Ill have you know ive skiied since i was 4 and currently Ski for Great Britain so if your refering to me as "(apparently) inexperienced newcomers to skiing/boarding" then i think you will find your wrong.

I just happen to get excited when people assure me snow will come as im sick to death of Dry slopes!

This is only the 3rd time ive been skiing in December and i want my family holiday to be enjoyable!

But thanks!
ski holidays
Oh btw way im not skiing for the olympic team, i am only 16 Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
I just happen to get excited when people assure me snow will come

If you believe people every time they tell you that... well... prepare for a lot of disappointment...

Personally, looking at the GFS charts, I don't see anything of interest until Wednesday-ish next week. I hope I'm wrong, but it looks too warm to me. Maybe a little snow high up over the weekend, but it's touch and go.
ski holidays
Well anything can happen in two weeks so fingers crossed!
ski holidays
Wrcleaver, and a warm welcome to SnowHeads. I want a happy family holiday too.

snowHead
snow report
If you've had
Quote:

many, many "poor snow" holidays
carled, maybe you've made some duff choices? I understand and (obviously) agree with your point that you can't use a run of statistics to predict what will happen at a particular resort in a particular week. It can be brilliant in Megeve at Christmas, or pants in Courchevel in early February. But neither outcome is probable and you can use the statistics to make choices which make "poor snow holidays" less likely. As it happens I rather agree with your gloomy prognosis about the next few weeks; lets hope we're proved hopelessly wrong. snowHead
snow report
so Carled whats the latest news?

Snow forecasts seem to be changing for the worst

Whats your latest updates, any white stuff?
ski holidays
CrowJersey -- One can never be sure, of course, but the 10-day forecasts from several sources are indicating above-average temps, below-average snowfall and perhaps rain across much of the Alps. It looks possible that the first half of Dec will be very poor, particularly in the West. It is likely going to need a monumental storm in the second half of the month to rescue what is already bordering on a disastrous early Alpine season for many stations.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 2-12-06 23:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
The GFS ensemble is showing a bit more confidence for a moderate amount of precipitation on the 6th November (for the French Alps, not looked at other areas), although not very cold so initially a bit of rain in the lowest resorts? It is also showing the possibility of a little bit of snow tomorrow and Monday, but again, with fairly mild temperatures.

Hope this is accurate as it will open up some more terrain for me when I go out on the 7th Smile In more than 20 years of skiing I've never had insufficient snow to ski on, so I'm hoping that next weekend's trip will continue my good fortunate as far as early season snow is concerned...
snow report
Raining in Nice all today. Unfortunately it's also raining in Auron Unlikely to open Isola or Auron next weekend.
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

The GFS ensemble is showing a bit more confidence for a moderate amount of precipitation on the 6th November (for the French Alps
guess you mean december . Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pistenbully wrote:
guess you mean december . Laughing

Embarassed Oops, brain wasn't quite working yesterday. Guess I've been so focused on skiing in November that I can't quite let go of that mindset!
snow report
Diarmuid,

Auron and Isola webcams showing a new covering this morning. Both looking like a ski resort now Very Happy
ski holidays
carled,
I don't disagree with much of what you are saying. Particularly on concepts like 'The marmottes are having their harvest festival early ths year we are in for some serious snow' or even 'Negatvie efects on the ruritanian jet stream oscillator increases the likelihood of adiabetic cooling and a dry spell in february'
But sometimes we are getting a bit too gloomy on snowHead 's, the weather has a degree of predictability. I have been skiing for over 20 years and it has snowed every single one of them and I am fully anticipating it will do so again this winter. I have generally had good skiing conditions and have always been able to ski. I have once moved resort at the last minute due to poor snow even then I could have had some skiing.
I think the message to get through to people new to the sport is that it generally does snow but in the early part of the season you are better to wait and see where the snow is as it may come late and often with considerable regional variations and in the latter half of the season it often pays to choose resorts with a little care to maximise your chances of getting good conditions. snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
ive been to Val Thorens twice in 3 years and its been great every time there is nothing to worry about there is a very good chance that you will have excellent snow as i did the past 2 times ive been there
snow report
well according to snow forecast the village level is due 68cms of snow fall this week
snow conditions
Looking Good!
snow report
it appears from the 360 web cam that its snowing quite heavily in VT at the mo. Very Happy
snow report

I just spoke to a friend in Val Thorens who says they had 4-6cm this AM
The Portette lift opened for the first time yesterday but it's only the fourth to open so far so they've refused to issue season passes yet for fear of over-crowding.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 6-12-06 15:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Well that's b**gered the page width Toofy Grin

But worth it wink
latest report
Will that do u better sir?

Now Includes super-widescreen effect Wink

BTW. the pics run from 08:30 to 13:30 this morning, mostly in 15min intervals.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 6-12-06 15:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Through the letter box with U brain Laughing
snow conditions
carled, I am thinking of booking flights to the 2007 EOSB.
What will the snow an Val T be like at the end of April? do you think I'm safe to book, or should I wait and see? Madeye-Smiley
Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy