Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kaprun short break

Poster: A snowHead
I'm planning with a couple of friends a mid week break Thursday to Tuesday to Kaprun at the beginning of Feb. We have accomodation arranged (friends cousin owns a chalet there) and cheap flights are available from Manchester (which isnt too far away although we would have prefered Leeds, Newcastle or Teesside). What is the best way to get to Kaprun, car hire, train,tansfer company etc ?

Also inorder to avoid the waste of time can you arrange ski passes in advance.

Finally what is the resort like ski and apres ski wise. We are all in are late 30's but still like to party (albeit not as hard as we used to).

Its over to you
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Where are you flying to?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B, Salzburg ..many apologies for missing out this small but rather important detail
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rowley B QC, If it is a short break then car hire may be best as you will wish to minimise your time wasted in transit.
http://www.holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/liveweb.sh/QSearch.w?ctryref=GBR&lang=EN&aff=xOneAccount
is a dsiscounred lin that many of us have used successfully.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Public transport should be a viable option from Salzburg. You would need to get a train to Zell am See, and then a bus to kaprun.

Details can be found here
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rowley, I have just come back from Kaprun last night.
I flew to Salzburg from Manchester, then used public transport:
Bus from Airport to Train Station 1.60 Euro
Train to Zell am See 13.60 Euro
Taxi to Kaprun 16.00 Euro
Same in return except local bus from Kaprun to Zell
There is a link on the Kaprun website for a scheduled transfer bus direct to Kaprun, it was not operating this week so cant comment on how practical.
All was very easy to use, the website for the Trains has an English version, you can print out full details of the journey etc.
It took about 3 hours each way, I went out on Sunday, you may find better train connections midweek.
The only thing I would change is the return, as a group, you can pre book a taxi from Kaprun to arrive just before the train, I had to get off the mountain, catch the bus from glacier base, collect my bags and then catch another bus, with a taxi you could gain a couple of extra hours skiing, which all counts on a short break!
The resort was very quiet so cant comment on apre ski, the only place with any life was the pizza bar/resturant in the centre (can remember the name but it has a wood stove and great pizza)
Hope this helps you in some way Very Happy
Jet2 will be flying from Leeds Bradford to Salzburg from mid Dec.
I would base your flights on arrival and departure times more than which airport.
FYI the time to cjeckin and get through security at Salzburg is much less than at MAN, you could arrive 90 mins before flight without any problems.
The skiing is OK, I only had the glacier open, with about 8 runs to choose from, but still great for the end of November. Once the season is under way there is alot more to ski on. The local buses run every 15 mins so you can also go to the area at Zell.
You can pre book the lift pass, or buy at any of the base stations, it took me less than 5 mins.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi all.

Am new to skiing and plan a trip in 1st week of February, 2007. Is Kaprun good for beginnners? There seems to be some very reasonable packages online of £199 per person for 7 nights at Hotel Annelies haus. Anyone been there and know if any good?

If booking by myself, can original poster kindly advise which airline they have booked for Manchester-Salzburg (is this best place to fly into from Manchester?)

Thanks very much.

C
Manchester, UK
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cersei, Welcome to Snowheads Very Happy snowHead

Salsburg is perfect for Kaprun. In Feb there should be snow on the nursery slopes. Once you have got going and done runs in the village get up onto the Maiskogel, and after that a trip to Zell am See will be less hassle than going up to the glacier. I would say its fine at that time of year for beginners.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for quick reply! Much appreciated.

Does anyone know if a ski package from Ski Solutions for £304 (£199+£105 supplement for Manchester flights instead of Luton) for 7 nights at Hotel Annelies haus in Kaprun for 3rd Feb 2007 is good value or I am better off booking my own flights and hotels? Thanks!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cersei, How many is the £105 supplement for? Average from MCR should be about £30. What else are you and your travelling companion(s) looking for in the holiday?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went to Zell/Kaprun back in March. Nice place to go. If you go out in Zell check out the B17 cocktail bar. Try getting the barman involved in rounds of shots. Works out very good value as the barman is as drunk as you and can't remember how much to charge Very Happy

Back to the white stuff though. We actually took the 30 min drive up to Saalbach Hinterglem. Would thoroughly recommend this, as long as you have a car.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty, the £105 supplement is per person for Manchester departure instead of included Luton flight, it seems.
Cost varies for this company for different destinations such as £43 for £265 package to Arinsal via Toulouse OR £149 for £249 to Alpbach via Innsburg.

If cost similiar for Kaprun or Arinsal, which is better for a beginner?

As for additional activities, drinking is not one of them (thanks for tip though m00958!) but just simple sights, walks and good meals with possible nearby nice city to visit as an option would be good. Really though, am just looking for a good week to learn to ski and relax at resort.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cersei, Salzburg is an option for an afternoon from Kaprun. Zell am See is a pretty place, and you can go for a walk on the frozen lake (assuming that the ice is thick enough)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cersei, £105pp supplement is outrageous. Dont pay it. Perhaps wait a bit longer.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rowley B QC, Note that other than a small amount of skiing on Maiskogel, that most of the skiing "in" Kaprun is on the Kitsteinhorn. This is a good 2 miles or so from Karpun. There are busses, but for early/late season stuff (the time when Kaprun is best for) then I'd always take a car. There are ski-busses that run during the winter season, but whilst the roads are still clear I'd always hire a car.

Don't bother booking ski-passses in advance, it will take 1 minute to buy one from the counter at the bottom of the lift.

In terms of Apres-ski, Kaprun is a bit quiet by Austrian standards. However, there are some good places if you know where to look. Unfortuantely, whilst I know exactly where the best places are, my memories are too foggy to remember the names of them all. My favourite is a bar just set back from the road, opposite the post-office.
snow report
Thanks all for the info car hire seems the best bet
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I agree. i even called up the agency and they explained price quoted is based on low demand outbound flights (Luton in this case) and more popular places like Manchester has that supplement as it is "discounted less". Listed price of "£199" is claimed to be £200ish less than full £400ish price

Based on this, am now considering from same site, Hotel Palerine in Arinsal, Andorra as price of £265 + £43 supplement brings to total of £308 which is HALF-BOARD instead of just Breakfast.
snow report
I just got back (1 hour ago) from 2 days skiing in Kaprun/Kitsteinhorn (works christmas bash - tough job eh? ).
The snow was OK but got a bit icy on the way back to the lower station after 2pm. It was also quite busy as there is no snow anywhere at lower levels- "worst start to the season ever" according to our hotel manager.
I and most of my work colleagues elected to hire skis on the mountain - huge mistake as it took 1.5 hours to get back out the intersport shop.
If you are there for the weekend hire from a shop in the village.

I agree with Kamikaze re lift passes. Cost was €37 for the day but it took only 30 sec for the lass to process.

Transport wise your best to hire a car. The public transport is supposed to be great but all the ski buses looked jam packed and your sure to waste a lot of time. Travel to Zell by train is every hour from Salzburg, according to our hotel manager, but the bit between the airport and the station and then from the train station to your hotel could prove problematic time wise.

Hope this helps.

Anyway, I'm off to soak me legs - they hurt like a hurty thing... Very Happy
snow report
Ski bus should be OK if you are in the Zell am Zee end of town, but getting on at the last couple of stops at the glacier end of town was a nightmare for us.
ski holidays
Other places in Austria which I am considering and would welcome any advice, bearing in mind for us absolute beginners and ideal if village/nearby town to visit as well:

Niederau
St. Wolfgang
Alpbach
latest report
If you're hiring at the Alpincentre on the glacier, as I did on Saturday, it took about 10 mins to get skis and pay up, hand back was about 10 secs - remember to wave your guest card at them for a discount snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy