Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The DIN. How does it know?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Alright, another question I'm putting out to you guys.

All ski bindings have DIN settings, but what I'm wondering (if you have already guessed from the title) Is how do the bindings know when to release you during a crash.

Is this some kind of ski hocus pocus.

Answers on the back of a small sealed envelope.

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's very clever like brake assist on a top end German car and can just sense when you're going to crash.....

the truth is somewhat more prosaic and basically relates to springs under tension (sorry)

Plenty of geek explanations along shortly wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's the same magic used in thermos flasks. You put something in hot and it comes out hot. You put something in cold and it comes out cold. But how does it know?

It's basically a spring that is triggered by a certain force generated as a result of your weight and sole length (amongst other things).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The binding is a catch which is difficult to open because it is held in the closed position by a spring. Adjustment of the binding alters the force with which the spring holds the catch shut. When I fall, my weight acts against the spring to release the catch and thus my foot. The binding needs to have considerable resistance to opening because as I turn, the binding is subjected to some of the same forces as it experiences in a fall.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Perhaps DINs have characteristics in common with "Resublimated Thiotimoline".
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Springs cams and leavers are all involved, I could tell you how it works in detail but the boredom would kill you
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, go on . . . and add the vector force mathematics to nail down the coffin lid wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Masque, it would too wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Go on D G Orf, you know you want to. Can we have an animated 3d rendering too?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok in simple terms

At some time in the past DIN (the German equivalent of British Standards) have established by some method the safe load that peoples legs can take without breaking in two

The bindings contain a spring which effectively holds a catch in place, the force applied by the spring can be increased or decreased (by turning a screw and altering the DIN setting) the setting needs to change because of the lever action of the ski boot on the bindings, obviosly different foot lengths will act as different length levers and as everyone knows the longer the lever the more force you can exert, however you also exert a different force depending on your weight, thus DIN charts have to take both weight and foot length into consideration.

On to this you then vary the settings according to experience and possibly age, it's generally thoght that more experienced younger skiers will be more energetic and thus wish their bindings to hold them under more extreme circumstances, less experienced skiers are more likely to fall over at lower speeds and thus have settings adjusted accordingly and so on.

Has everyone died of boredom now ?

Doin't say I didn't warn you earlier Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf, Nope, not boring nor long enough to die from....
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No one has mentioned elasticity yet.

Or racing settings where bindings are set to only release under forces that would turn mere mortals bones to jelly.

Or pre-releasing.

Come on, some of us are still awake...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and what about lateral pre-release Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy