Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Removing Ski boot bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Got EJ flights and paid for 1 skibag.......

As No1 son now has his own skis, and only 2 prs of skis will fit in bag so.....

I need to take the bindings off a pair of skis so all 3 pairs will fit!

How easy is this? Any clues / tips? I'll take the screwdriver with me.....

Mine and Mrs shockingmoment's are fixed for boot size. His are adjustable for a range of boots

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
shockingmoment, I'll be interested to hear the replies to this - my instinct tells me it's not a good move...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shockingmoment, Dont forget to study the easyjet baggage thread
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
shockingmoment, Easyjet have a 12kg weight limit so be prepared for hassle at the check-in & possible excess weight charges at £5 per kilo. See this thread: http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20982

Binding screws are, or should be, glued in so it's not a good idea removing them. This is not only to stop them moving but also to give a waterproof seal. However, some rail mounted bindings allow you to easily slide off the toe & heel pieces leaving the screwed-on mounting plate on the skis - I do this on my Atomics.

Basically it's not a good idea but if you really want to do it then use a no.3 pozi screwdriver to avoid knackering the screw heads. The screws might need slightly heating up with a soldering iron to break the bond & you should re-glue them with binding adhesive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
shockingmoment,
Might sound silly but some of the hire bindings just slide off the rails front and rear if you hold the adjusting lever up. Worth a try.

Oops, had this sitting on my screen for a while didn't see Spyderjon's reply
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks folks. I leave the fixed but try the sliding binding at weekend.

Checked the EJ links and I'm confused!

Sporting equipment

Each passenger is allowed a maximum hold baggage weight of 50 kilos including any sports equipment, subject to available space. The maximum weight for any single piece of baggage is 32 kgs.
Then.....
Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs.

Can anyone explain what this means!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shockingmoment, Yes it is bad "WE" think the 50 kg is wrong. £15 per flight ups your limit to 32 kg with no bag more than 20kg. If your 3 sets of skis way 19kg then your case can only be 13kg, but you can pay further fees per kilo of 32kg up to a max of 50 kg
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty - thanks. I've emailed EJ.....

There's 4 travelling so we should be ok with combined weights provided skibag is less than 20kg. Is this likely?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shockingmoment, it's the payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs that's the important bit. Basically a single passenger has a 20kg free hold allowance & by paying the £15 ski bag additional fee that person increase their hold allowance to 32kg - ergo the 12kg ski bag limit.

50kg is the max any passenger can take & 32kg is the max single item weight due to H&S regs for the baggage handlers etc - but it doesn't mean it's a free allowance so you'd be paying the excess baggage surcharge to do this.

Also note that the per person 20kg free hold allowance is based upon a single bag. If two bags are used, say a 15kg bag plus a 5kg boot bag, then EJ charge a £5 fee for the additional bag providing it's booked in advance, or £10 if you have to pay at the airport.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shockingmoment, should be JUST okay if one set is small and no atomics. Remember no combined weights. All bags below 20kg
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shockingmoment wrote:
....There's 4 travelling so we should be ok with combined weights provided skibag is less than 20kg.....

Wrong. There's no combined weights with EJ. In any case skis are 'sporting equipment' that must be paid for seperately even if you've not used all your 20kg allowance, ie if you have an 8kg holdall & a 12kg ski bag you still have to pay for the ski bag.

BTW, a weeks clothes, ski gear & boots will be pretty close to 20kg. I have to put my ski jacket & trousers with my skis to get my holdall under 20kg & my heavy B5's, poles, jacket & trousers just sneak in under 12kg.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry - I've not been clear. I've paid for the sports equipment (£15). Does this give me 32kg - say 20 for the skis, 12 fo the luggage?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shockingmoment, Spot on.....As I understand it wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shockingmoment wrote:
Sorry - I've not been clear. I've paid for the sports equipment (£15). Does this give me 32kg - say 20 for the skis, 12 fo the luggage?

Don't forget you need to pay £15 each way, so a total of £30 to get your skis there and back. My skis cost more than my flight to Basel in Jan!!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shockingmoment, Yes, 12 for luggage. But if it contains 3 pairs of bindings, you won't be able to pack any clothes rolling eyes Laughing .
snow conditions
The rest of the family can take my 'excess' ie over 32kg. provided theirs are less than 20kg each....

We do travel light so I appreciate the points made

Hmmmm forgot the two boot bags..............
ski holidays
Quote:

Hmmmm forgot the two boot bags..............

Yes, you'll have to forget them!
snow report
Everyone - thanks for your comments. I think I understand now....... I'm sure EJ will put me right at check in!

Got a little off topic but great info non the less!
ski holidays
shockingmoment, NOTE: There's NO combining weights with other passenger's with EJ.

I seriously recommend that you have a weighing session well in advance & then alter your EJ booking accordingly rather than leaving it to check-in as you'll be given two choices there: either a £5/kg excess bill per flight or leave it behind. If you leave something behind they'll charge you for the storage!
ski holidays
spyderjon - I'll make sure my gear weighs no more than 20 and 12 for skis and luggage respectively.

the rest of the family can take my remaining stuff, ensuring that their individual bag weights are 20 or less

we'll certainly weigh them before we go!
snow conditions
shockingmoment, One plus with EJ is that there's no carry-on baggage limit so long as it's within the overall max dimensions. Luckily my B5's & M:EX's have the same bindings that slide off so on my next EJ trip I'm taking just one pair of bindings in my carry-on bag & both skis in the flat with a pair of poles sneak under the 12kg wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy