Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

It's coming at last..................

Poster: A snowHead
www.meteo-chamonix.org - forecasting 'biggish' amounts of snow from Tusday with snow down to 600/800m by Wednesday/Thursday next week - bring it on!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weather.com is presently modeling light rain below roughly 1800 - 2500m in France through Tues, followed by modest snow showers for the rest of the week. It does look like the temps will finally start to fall around the middle of next week, although not by much. For the Eastern Alps, it looks like persistent rain anywhere below 1500 - 2000m for the next 10 days.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Translacton for all you non-French speakers. Sorry about the translation - did most of it on-line - bit of cheating but you'll get the gist!

Looks very promising and from living out here this is one of the most accurate forecasts around.

VERY PROBABLE ARRIVAL OF SNOW THE NEXT WEEK

The anticyclone 1038 Hpa on the Central Europe continues to influence time on our reliefs until Friday evening. Then, fronts from the south west but not that strong until Monday. The remainder of the next week, it will be the very probable return of a strong Westerlys with active fronts.

The forecasting models seem very probably to announce to us an episode of relatively consequent snow up during this first 10 days of December. From Saturday evening to Tuesday afternoon, the awaited disturbances will be of weak activity and snow will fall only to the top 1800/2000 meters and mainly on Préalpes. An important disturbance will rach the Alps on Tuesday evening and Wednesdaybringing a layer of more abundant snow accompanied by a cooling which would lower the rain/snow limit until around 600/800 meters. An other active pluvio-snow-covered system is then envisaged about Thursday/Friday preceded by a temporary rise in temperature.

This night

At low altitude, reformation of a layer of Stratus in lower part of 700/800 meters between the Jura and Préalpes. With the top, clear sky with only -2/-3° with 2000 meters.

Friday December 1, 2006

Beautiful sunny and very warm time in mountain. The wind of South-west begins again moderately with some puffs of Foëhn in interior the Alpines valleys at the end of the day. In lower part of 700/800 meters between the Jura and Préalpes, the benches of fogs and clouds low will be rather numerous in morning and should be dissipated at the beginning of afetrnoon.
The maximum temperatures are neighbourly 7/8° where the low clouds rest but will be able to go up until 11/12° in the low interior valleys Alpines and Préalpines.

Temperature with 1500 meters: 6°
Temperature with 3000 meters: -3°
Isotherm 0° towards: 2500 meters.
Isotherm -10° towards: 4100 meters.

Saturday December 2, 2006

Initially sunny then high clouds ever more more arrive by the West the afternoon. Some scattered heavy showers the following night with snow around 2000 meters. More marked precipitations of the Jura in the West of Préalpes. Strong wind of South-west and Foëhn marked in the Alps. Maximum temperatures in clear rise with 12/15° at low altitude and an isotherm 0° near to 2800 meters.

Sunday December 3, 2006

Some weak rains per moment the morning. Snows with 1600/1700 meters. Rather strong wind of South-west Improvement the afternoon then new weak rains the following night with snow around 1800/2000 meters.

Monday December 4, 2006

Very cloudy. Weak intermittent rains. Snows around 1700 meters. Strong wind of West on the peaks.

Tuesday December 5, 2006

Very cloudy with weak still possible heavy showers in morning, flakes around 1800 meters. More significant aggravation under afternoon with more abundant rains and snows dropping around 1200 meters the night.

Wednesday December 6, 2006

Frequent precipitations in the form of downpours often constant on the reliefs. Snows around 600/800 meters.

Thursday December 7, 2006

Temporary rise in temperature in front of a new active pluvio-snow-covered zone.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fingers, toes, legs and everything else crossed! snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh I hate being the wet blanket (as opposed to icy cold white blanket). I prefer Chamonix Meteo who suggest,

EXTENDED OUTLOOK UNTIL TUESDAY DECEMBER 05 2006
Sunday : weak disturbance crossing over - scattered showers. Monday : changeable - morning showers - afternoon sunny spells. Tuesday : sunny morning - disturbance likely to come in from the west during the afternoon.
Forecast reliability : fairly good until Sunday - poor thereafter.

I am not getting excited myself yet...although, in fairness, Meteo Swiss are forecasting rain all next week in Geneva with temperatures falling...

I certainly won't be unhappy if it does arrive!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, I'm in Chamonix from the 4th Jan. What do you think the snow conditions will be like?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tp023, is David Murdoch Mystic Meg or something? How the heck would anyone know what the snow will be like then!? If it snows lots between now and then, the snow will be great. If it doesn't snow, pack your walking boots. Will it snow? NO-ONE KNOWS!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Whitegold wrote:
Weather.com is presently modeling light rain below roughly 1800 - 2500m in France through Tues, followed by modest snow showers for the rest of the week. It does look like the temps will finally start to fall around the middle of next week, although not by much. For the Eastern Alps, it looks like persistent rain anywhere below 1500 - 2000m for the next 10 days.

As an avid weather watcher like most of us i'd say weather.com actually (gasps of disbelief) rank below snowforecast.com on the weather prediction front....according to friends who 've run a chalet business in chamonix for the last umpteen years the meteo site is the only one that even gets close to a reasonable short range forecast for the northern alps, lets hope they're right!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of the long term local instructors in Les Saisies told me that Chamonix meteo was in his experience the most reliable. Apart from anything else I like the fact that their forecasts include an indication of confidence.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://meteo.chamonix.com/MetPreE.php is a link to the English version. At present they are not confident of anything beyond Sunday. To suggest at this stage that snow is "probable" next week is maybe a triumph of hope over science. But hope is better than nothing....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carled, you're sending your blood pressure sky high mate - at this rate you won't survive into the season! Wink Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carled wrote:
is David Murdoch Mystic Meg or something?

If his predictions turn out to be as bad he might be .....

http://www.5318008.co.uk/mysticmeg/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If it doesn't snow, our dog will be very fit, and very tired by then end of our holiday. rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:
carled wrote:
is David Murdoch Mystic Meg or something?

If his predictions turn out to be as bad he might be .....

http://www.5318008.co.uk/mysticmeg/

I got a card in the postbox a couple of weeks ago:

"I hex your ennemys. Solve all your problem."

(Their spelling, not mine.)

Maybe I should give them a ring on our behalf. I wonder what the market rate for voodoo is?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Meteoblue, good in precipitation forecast:

ski holidays
DB, Thanks for your link to Mystic Meg's woeful predictions... I enjoyed this one... just goes to show ...you can fool some of the people some of the time....
snow conditions
Cool

Nice green and yellow over the Grand massif. NehNeh
latest report
metalhead132

Thats a Great Weather Site

The University (Basel) says they need more hits to keep it going, so click away Very Happy

http://pages.unibas.ch/geo/mcr/3d/meteo/
snow report
yes, in my opinion the best european precipitation models.

The 6h launch of GFS is very good for the snow in Europe!!!
snow conditions
Sorry if this is stupid but...how do I interpret any of this?

I'm particularly interested in Andorra. How can I use the info on the site to see whats happening/going to happen?

If it's too much to explain just ignore me! snowHead
latest report
Beakyshark wrote:
Whitegold wrote:

As an avid weather watcher like most of us i'd say weather.com actually (gasps of disbelief) rank below snowforecast.com on the weather prediction front....according to friends who 've run a chalet business in chamonix for the last umpteen years the meteo site is the only one that even gets close to a reasonable short range forecast for the northern alps, lets hope they're right!

All weather sites get it wrong. They are all little more than a guide, an educated guess.
snow conditions
snow-forecast is showing freezing level of 450m on Wednesday!!

very intresting, winter starts here??
latest report
smudger, So am I!!!! We're supposed to be going a week tomorrow, so I've done so much snow dancing I'll be too tired to ski at this rate!!

I'm hoping this forecast is correct...............

http://uk.weather.com/outlook/recreation/ski/weather/tenday/999003
snow conditions
For everybody worried about the current lack of snow in the alps, the following web address should raise a few smiles:

http://www.skiing.nl/data/images/alpssnownext3to6days.jpg
snow report
strangely identical to snow-forecast
ski holidays
The clouds are gathering, they are very black!
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, if they have come over from the Uk it should dump - we have had very heavy rain for the last four hours and its only 6 degrees outside.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy