Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

base layers

Poster: A snowHead
can anyone recommend good warm base layers for the teperatures in banff at christmas?
got falke ones just now but not sure if they will be warm enough?
thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helly Hansen ones are good.
I also tend to wear silk (but that might just be a thing I do...)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Am i correct in saying that a base layer is all about keeping you dry to allow the other layers to do there job and keep you warm, rather than having any instulating properties in it's own right? I always use decathlon stuff that is relatively cheap and does a cracking job to.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
lynned wrote:
got falke ones just now but not sure if they will be warm enough?

It depends which Falke ones you've got lynned, but in general the Falke stuff is superb.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
An Iron Maiden T-shirt is all you need! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
lynned, I've got some Falke base layers. They are a great fit, but not hugely warm. I used them for cycling as well as skiing and they do that job just fine. I found in Tignes recently, when it was pretty cold and windy, that I needed a second base layer (which was an Icebreaker Skin 200). If I were going to have just one base layer for a cold environment I'd choose Icebreaker in the 260 weight (not the skin 200). Mind you, I was also wearing two pairs of Falke long johns, and two jumpers in Tignes coz it was very windy and rather chilly.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
These look OK, as do these
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Icebreakers are warm, but its a degree of layering. You can overpower the breathing properties of everything.
If you sweat you are going to have the problem of drying that clothing. Best to run a little cold and warm up as you go along... Its not a good idea to be too cold or too hot.

As for the Falke, you will not know if they work for you, until you try them. This applies to everybody and we all run at different temps. But your kit should be a good start..on day one, probably overdress slightly and be prepared to take a layer off somehow during the day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stevec wrote:
Am i correct in saying that a base layer is all about keeping you dry to allow the other layers to do there job and keep you warm, rather than having any instulating properties in it's own right? I always use decathlon stuff that is relatively cheap and does a cracking job to.

The Decathlon base layers are superb & inexpensive at under a tenner for long sleeve & cheaper for short. Wicking is as good as a Patagonia base layer I've got for nearly 3 times the price. Look in the running section.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:
Best to run a little cold and warm up as you go along... Its not a good idea to be too cold or too hot.

Great advice JT - I always follow that principle. Start off a little cold and you soon warm up.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marc gledhill, good choices, IMO Polartec Power Dry (your first link) actually works better than Patagucci R1 or N2S systems. I normally, however, associate those with 2 layer systems for only modest cold, or as very light 2nd layers in 3 layer systems.

I thought the question was directed towards 3-layer systems (base layer/200 or 300wgt fleece with windcontrol/jacket), much along the lines of stevec's understanding with possible odour control and compression. If that is the case, take a look amongst training wear for football and the like, (Nike Dry Fit Pro, Adidas clima, Diadora EDN, Underarmour being our local one) for long-sleeved compression shirts and compression shorts.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks everyone
the falke ones were ok in bulgaria last year but the temp never went below 3 degrees
ive been looking at banff forecasts and becoming a bit nervous about how cold its going to be!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best advice I have ever had for a cold resort is always have lunch at the top of a lift, never the bottom. You can then stay warm on the run down rather than get cold on the lift up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have found that Nike Pro has a great selection of under layers, as well as under armour. I wear an underarmour shortsleeve top, it is fairly tight fitting but it really does the job in terms of keeping you warm, and it prevents you from perspirating. Then I wear a long sleeve Nike pro top which has a similar effect, and then my jacket. This will keep me warm until about -10C. Anything colder than that will require another layer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Icebreaker is very hard to beat. Wicks well. Does not smell.
ski holidays
go to howies http://www.howies.co.uk/ and look for merino NBL (natural base layers). feelgood factor high.
snow report
ulmerhutte wrote:
Icebreaker is very hard to beat. Wicks well. Does not smell.

I would go for Icebreaker stuff too. It is worth the money in my view.
ski holidays
I came across this deal the other week... http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/Cat/128767?history=search%20results - £30 for Helly Hansen mid weight long-sleeve top & longs.

The fit of the top wasn't as comfortable as I'd like in an ideal world (quite tight around the neck and chest) but that's down to my shape rather than the product itself. For the price I reckoned it would be hard to beat.

JenkinsDH
ski holidays
Not too hot, not too cold, not cold when wet, pretty windproof, resists even my smells, looks good, biodegradable, soft and natural.

Sound familiar?

I'll never buy another thermal.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy