Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st to 5th metatarsal footbed support question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Q for CEM and the various zookeepers (and anyone else who wants to chime in)

On the green/blue Superfeet off-the-shelf products, the front portion of the footbed is pretty flat.

Years ago, when I had Full Korks made, the fitter took care to flatten out the front portion after moulding.

However, whenever I pull out footbeds out of various clients boots, I see conform'able custom footbeds that vary from flat at the front, to a deep impression of the 1st met head.

Q: For the majority of people, on a custom conform'able, should the front portion be flattish, or have a deep impression of the BoF/1st met head? And is this the same for Kork Vac, & Full Kork ?

I have a horrible feeling the answer is going to involve the dreaded varus, possibly the metatarsal arch debate too...........

Other sH's..... what do the front of your footbeds look like? Flat? or deep impressions? Little Angel
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight, can't check mine, but I just had them done at the PSB, and I'm pretty sure they have impressions of my toes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight, shallow impressions
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It will depend upon the fitter, mine, across the Mets tend to be pronounced to support what shape there is across the met heads. This helps distribute pressure more as nature intended, the foot when in neutral being a tripod. It will of course depend on the foot and , again the fitter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks.

It just that some I see are definitely not a tripod, like the 5th is way up in the air, like they have been left on a radiator to dry..... rolling eyes

Some I see have the 1st way below the general level of the 5th and heel..... like someone didn't know how to use the vacuum squidgy machine properly, and got them to windlass to the nth degree and press forward whilst adducting etc. Shocked

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 30-11-06 14:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
veeeight, I have bee encouraged recently by a pair of orthotics i made for a client with Met' issues. I sent him to a local podiatrist and he returend with a pair for his dress shoes that were degree perfect to those i made for his touring boots, we all get one right in every million eh! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
veeeight, i think the SMALLZOOKEEPER has summed it up, it depends on the fitter, the foot and the product that is being used. when i build a a product like the Superfeet full kork i will mould detressions for the toes anf this forms sulcus [gap between toes & ball of foot] support.

i will apologise now as this is going to get techy.....before anyone comments!! rolling eyes rolling eyes

as for the forefoot varus forefoot valgus debate. this i have found to be a debate which forms an argument across the world, the interesting bit is where you do your biomechanics training...east coast of the states sees a lot of varus whereas west coast sees more valgus, this is nothing to do with the different foot types across the states ...it is more down to the training / examination techniques.

my training was both east and west coast Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled what i see is very many more forefoot valgus than forefoot varus feet, those that are varus tend to be a compensated varus, the compensation being coming from muscle tension further up the leg [ generally gastro-soleus complex]

if
Quote:

the 5th is way up in the air, like they have been left on a radiator to dry.....
is seen and the rearfoot of the product is produced to heel vertical [and the product is properly made] then it could be a noteable forefoot valgus or indeed a plantar flexed first ray. the other reason this could be present is as you suggested the fitter has jamed the foot into an extreme windlass position and adducted the foot more than is required.

just to pose a question back, regarding the metatarsal arch debate, i was recently given this to think about.....

is it that the metatarsal head has dropped or is it that the others are raised??? i ask this as the person who posed the question to me [ a very highly respected & qualified bootfiter and C.Ped] made the comment that how far can the metatarsal head drop?? it sits on the ground [ it can not sit below ground level unless we create a depression...which has the same effect as the other metatarals being raised]

just thought i would drop that one in Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Re the dropped (1st) head, could the fitter taking the moulding on the squishy conform'able machine have got the client to artificially press down on the BoF? thereby creating a false lower depression?

The reason behind this curiosity is that I'm getting a little tired of fishing out clients footbeds (their pride and joy) which look like limp lettuces, no heel cups, met arches that are in the wrong place for their foot, arches that are too high etc. - and they get a little concerned that I'm suggesting that they ought to get another footbed made......... and they tell me that the bed is brand new cos they just had it made at the ski show......

snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
veeeight, very possible for this to happen, over windlassing [if you know what i mean ] will cause this problem

footbeds...ski show.....somehow this doesn't suprise me rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The only time in a lot of skiing that my boots have not hurt across my forefoot was when Hamish at Profeet London installed metatarsal arch supports on my Kork Pros.

Sadly they've now fallen out. Sadly (2) I have not had time to visit chez SZK. Though I really like the Mammut suit in the window (blue and orange heavier weight one).
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Murdoch, if you arer excessively loadinbg the metatarsal heads then applying a pad behind them to spread the load is the correct thing to do...do you have a nerve neuroma?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
CEM, I have no idea but I am about to go get myself another Corona. Which seems to rhyme.

And I'm about to try my first Swiss kebab. You may never hear from me again.

"I'll only be gone a short while"...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Murdoch, I have the said Mammut Clothing for test! Available only to clients and SNOWHEADS! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, we may pass though next weekend. I have to 1. meet you and 2. introduce my employees to you. I imagine they will want to meet you more that t'other way round but hopefully they'll have heaps of eager guests wanting to spend money with you.

CEM, the kebab from the kebab man in Thonex is not what I was looking for and unfortunately had a strange sauce. Which is now repeating on me. Unlike his kebabs which I will not be trying again.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy