Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts with mini-airstrips

Poster: A snowHead
The only one I know of are Courchevel where the Parisians fly into.

Here's a photo from March 2005. It was taken at Mannlichen, above Wengen.

http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/photo/561/limit/views
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alp d'Huez
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meribel has one. VT has an area marked out with a windsock, but it's not manned.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've flown on an excursion round Mt Blanc from Megève.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think there's something at Tignes as well, but just a small airstrip for light planes equipped with skis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, yes - I flew from there to Courchevel and back a few years ago. There's even a hangar for the aircraft.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair, what was the take-off in Tignes like? It looks pretty hair-raising to me!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, great fun - you get an interesting Shocked view of the resort. Worse was landing back there again, when a shadow from an adjacent mountain meant I couldn't see where the runway was. Good thing I had an instructor with me to point me in the right direction!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair, you were flying? Shocked Very impressive! Is Tignes the highest airstrip in France? It must be about 2500m?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Meribel has an Altiport as well as Val Thorens.

Did you know Courchevel runway can clearly be seen from La Plagne? Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin wrote:
Meribel has an Altiport as well as Val Thorens.

Did you know Courchevel runway can clearly be seen from La Plagne? Very Happy

And from the same spot you can also see ski lifts in Meribel, Prolognan, and Tignes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
and I forgot to mention that Murren, according to Chris Brooks, also has a mini-strip.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't know which of the Tignes or VT one is higher or whether there's a higher one elsewhere. Certainly they're all high enough to affect the aircraft's performance significantly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, is that where PG took some pics with his long lens and posted as where am I now?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, yes, that's the spot.
ski holidays
and NEVER forget there's one in La Ros too, next to the golf course.
ski holidays
Masque, you beat me to it. Very Happy
ski holidays
I've uploaded a few pictures of my trip from Tignes to Courchevel here

ski holidays
Alastair, that'a a nice plane - you've got a pilots licence - two expensive hobbies I see Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Shocked nice flying Alastair, I see what you mean about the shadows!!
snow report
I'd love to be able to fly a simple plane - nothing too complicated. The nearest I got to fly was a Cessna for 1/2 hour on my 21st birthday - sure beats accountancy any day of the week. I might try again!.
snow conditions
hibernia, yes - flying couldn't really be considered a cheap hobby Shocked . Great fun though.
ski holidays
I like the captions - "Alastair" "Aeroplane" - no messing around there Laughing
snow report
They do pleasure flights from a small snow airstrip from the Mannlichen at 2230m above Wengen when the weather is good during the ski season
ski holidays
riverman, that was the subject matter ( see photo ) of my thread!. During lunch they took off every 15 minutes or so in that orange plane. ( sorry - didn't make it clear enough ).
ski holidays
Blimey! Landing at Tignes looks like you just crash into the side of the mountain. That's very impressive.
latest report
Where is the end of the runwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa......
snow conditions
hibernia, Sorry must read all the thread
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
riverman wrote:
hibernia, Sorry must read all the thread

Otherwise we'll have to send you here Pay attention you at the back wink Laughing
latest report
I think you have to differentiate between bits of snow where plane landing is allowed as at Tignes and proper airports.

Courchevel's altiport was really pioneered by Michel Ziegler the former mayor of Courchevel and a well known pilot. Ditto for the Henri Giraud altiport at l'alpe d'Huez. Remains of Henri Giraud's crashed plane are currently being disgorged by one of the glaciers in the Ecrins. Giraud is best known for landing a Piper cub on the Aiguille du Midi in 1957 (I guess the LP was too expensive) and on top of Mont Blanc in 1960 and is amongst the greats in mountain flying.

Other areas - Val Cenis has a real airport at Solieres (sp?) and Peyragudes has a hard strip that was once "an international arms bizarre somewhere on the border with Russia".
snow report
davidof, Yes, I think thats the right spelling. Our ski guide Zeb, who I keep mentioning, keeps a light plane there.
snow report
Aspen.. Laughing
ski holidays
Alastair, Interesting pictures snowHead . A question that springs to my mind... when you bring the plane to a halt, do you put the skis under the front wheels into a snowplough, or is it more of the "hockey stop" approach?
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, when the skis are down (they retract for landing on a non snowy surface) you use gravity to stop and then park sideways on to any slope. You turn the aircraft using rudder and a bit of power.
latest report
Alastair wrote:
... you use gravity to stop and then park sideways on to any slope.

A bit like a snowboarder?
ski holidays
Alastair, Lovely photos. I have always wanted to land on such a strip. I am not a pilot but have been a passenger in a DH Beaver landing on frozen bays on skis in Canada, which is rather rougher than landing on floats due to the expansion of the sea water as it freezes causing humps. We did once set the emergency locator transmitter off with one rather hard landing.

A few things I am interested in, what are the options for going around at Courchevel if you get your approach wrong? Do they close the strip if the wind is downhill?
latest report
Is the criteria full ice runway, ski to the check-in etc. lots of North American resorts have their own airports though not really skiable to e.g. Jackson Hole, South Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, Eagle (for Vail & Beaver Creek) etc. I'm sure there are a few Swiss as well.
latest report
fatbob, and Austria - Zell Am See has a small airport for private and pleasure flights.

D
ski holidays
My friend who has rating for Courcheval reckons there is not much room for errror. IIRC you have the one shot after the point of no return which is lines up around the road....and you can end up flying into the hill

I may be wrong and I'll ask him.

I've always wanted to fly into Courcheval
ski holidays
JT wrote:,
Quote:

and you can end up flying into the hill

Quote:

I've always wanted to fly into Courcheval

Laughing
snow report