Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The ugliest ski resort in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
colin_g wrote:
Not been to that many places but for pure ugliness it's got to be Alpe d'Huez or Les Menuires.
At least Menuires doesn't pretend to be pretty..

In fairness to ADH, while not the prettiest, IMHO its a long way off the ugliest ski resort in france. I think Flaine, les Menuires, Val Thorens, Tignes are some way ahead in the absence of charm criteria
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I haven't been to that many places, but I'd definitely put in a vote for Alpe d'Huez with Tignes running it a close second. Neither are picturesque, but the Alpe is pretty bleak.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bode Swiller wrote:
Aviemore Centre was never too pretty

At least its got one grand building in it - the Cairngorm Hotel, and some decent houses that aint hideously out of keping.

Id swap you Aviemore for any number of French carbuncles, esp Tignes, and some of the over twee obviously purpose built Canadian resorts.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not just French resorts (where my vote would be for Les Menuires) - Cervinia is another ugly resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flaine for me. Winter or Summer. The consolation as many have said is that has great skiing and convenience. Give me this over the other option of commuting best part of an hour to get onto the planks. Mind you the place I am thinking of is one of the most beautifu alpine towns with spectacular scenery. wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am generally quite impressed with the often innovative French architecture. They are always game for trying something new on the design front.

In retrospect we decry these once cutting edge designs, but really now we ought to be a little more open minded and try to see these buildings how they were originally intended to appear - as radical design concepts in tune with their environment.

If anything I would rather see a 21st century version of Tignes or Flaine or any of the others at Les Menuires rather than a mock tyrolean or mock anything.

At the very least these "ugly" resorts are authentic.

(Rant over) Blush
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kaiser, I bet most folks' main grumble against such architecture is that the rooms tend to be too small.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kaiser, with you all the way. I like geniunely pretty resorts, but mock pretty resorts ar egrim. Vail is the worst I've seen, but Meribel is pretty depressing. Tignes looks OK to me given where it is; it might be aesthetically better to have nothing built there, but I'd rather have bleak architecture in bleak surroundings than dreary little wooden buildings.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, I think that if you had stayed at the Hotel Aujon you might wish that it had disappeared.

I am not so sure about Tignes looking ugly; I have a very nice picture of Val Claret (admittedly from a distance) set as my desktop.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My vote would go for Puy St Vincent, the little resort that's held the ESC Championships the last couple years. Some nice skiing through the trees, but at the end of almost every run you see this huge concrete eye-sore in front of you spoiling what would otherwise be a beautiful place:

http://www.snowbizz.co.uk/resort.htm

Oddly, the resort seem proud enough of it to put it on all of their postcards!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
iblair, given that you have to accomodate the customers somewhere, what style would you prefer?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Frosty the Snowman, I hear them on the room size, but I do think they still represent value for money if not booked as part of a package, ie through the resort website or one of the independent agences immobliers.

Ultimately I do all cooking and sleeping and a lot of eating there at maximum occupancy and other than a few shocking experiences with overactive bowels at inopportune moments.

I am not aware of many apartments where there is serious mog-rotational viability - do you?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
richmond, this year they seem to have added some much nice wooded/wood clad smaller appartment blocks, so hopefully the concrete council flats will go soon Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kaiser wrote:
mog-rotational viability

Is that a Friday afternoon question or what? Confused
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't know? Is it?

I thought everyone knew that term! Toofy Grin
latest report
Bansko looks like a cross between a bomb site and a building site and the roads are ridiculous! even 4X4s tread carefully. Its cheap and the skiing is reasonable if limited compared to big re sorts in France etc.
latest report
Bode Swiller wrote:
For me it's a close call between Flaine and Les Menuires..

I think Flaine, whilst having dreary concrete buildings, nestles in a beautiful valley, whilst Les Menuires just looks like Benidorm with snow snow sprinkled around it - and what is that church spire made out of meccano Puzzled
ski holidays
It all comes down to IMHO that the French had a style bypass in the 60's / 70's and it was only in the mid 80's that they found the legendary French style again and started trying to put some of their mistake right .. even if it is a bit choclate boxy at times!
snow conditions
The French have had a long love affair with concrete which has always puzzled me. Still, as I've said, anything's better than Meribel, aesthetically.
snow report
richmond wrote:
The French have had a long love affair with concrete which has always puzzled me. Still, as I've said, anything's better than Meribel, aesthetically.

Le Corbusier perchance?
snow conditions
bh1, yes indeed, but whether he was the cause or a symptom, I don't know. It can look great, but often it doesn't; concrete telegraph poles down every street in an otherwise picturesque village, for example.
snow report
I really don't mind the modernism of Flaine but like a couple of others above I find the 'mock' period resorts like Arc 1950 terribly twee. It all looks a but like Disneyland to me. I find Tignes or Les Menuires the ugliest of all though.

Paul
snow report
bh1 wrote:
richmond wrote:

Le Corbusier perchance?

Does it have a good snow record?
snow report
velodocuk wrote:
I really don't mind the modernism of Flaine but like a couple of others above I find the 'mock' period resorts like Arc 1950 terribly twee. It all looks a but like Disneyland to me.

I know what you mean, although I think it is considerably nicer than its nextdoor neighbour Arc 2000. I think there would a justifiable outcry if Intrawest built something like Arc 1950 in the middle of a traditional Austrian or Swiss ski village, but to my eye at least development like this a step towards making the purpose-built resorts in France a bit less unattractive.
snow conditions
La Thuille - a quaint, Italian, moutain village dominated by one vile 1960's style hotel. Getting planning permission for the Plannibel complex must have taken an awful lot of backhanders to local councillors.
ski holidays
Clive, if you think La Thuile is ugly then you can't have visited many ski resorts. Get real.
snow report
Nick L wrote:
Helen Beaumont, I think that if you had stayed at the Hotel Aujon you might wish that it had disappeared.

Fortunately, we stayed in Les Lindars which then became Club Aquarius/Club Med.
ski holidays
The first purpose built French resort I skied in was La Plagne. I can remember sitting on the coach, chugging up the road & being completely horrified by the buildings I could see! I think I've become immune to them now! Just focus on the snow...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sazza42 wrote:
The first purpose built French resort I skied in was La Plagne. I can remember sitting on the coach, chugging up the road & being completely horrified by the buildings I could see! I think I've become immune to them now! Just focus on the snow...

best way I think! I've been to a fair mix of lovely and shocking resorts now and tbh I would rather stay in an ugly, older (but probabaly larger) hotel room/apartment and pay less than fork out a tonne of cash just to look at the architecture...which I'm not there to do....

If it's pretty: bonus, if it's not: not a dealbreaker!

Tignes for example is one of my favourite ski areas in france but it's renowned for being a bit of a concrete jungle. Dont really care! Each to their own though Smile
ski holidays
Zermatt

Typical Swiss , copying their designs from Chocolate boxes .
ski holidays
La Plagne (that monstrosity that was designed to look like ship!) closely followed by Les Menuires.
snow conditions
Well i reckon some of you are looking at the wrong things.
I don't look at the buildings - i look up at the snowy mountains.
All resorts i've been too look lovely in the snow.
Even Les Menuires. Even Plagne Centre.
(sorry about setting off that buzzer again @RG Toofy Grin )
If the pistes are all snowy-white, who cares what the building look like?
snow report
Plagne Centre has actually had a makeover at one stage. It used to be all concrete and they decided to put some wooden facing about. Bellecote was, for many years the prettier sister.

Aime La Plagne however takes some beating. I once read a La PLagne brochure describing it as like a sailing ship with it's majestic sails sweeping through the mountain. The reality is a cocktail of a Sheffield housing development / Coventry post war/ Brazilian Shanty town.

http://www.laplagne-immobilier.com/en/rentals/aime-2000-resort/aime-la-plagne.htm
snow report
Bode Swiller wrote:
Aviemore Centre was never too pretty

Probably true but the question was about ski resorts...
ski holidays
I am going to it next Sunday -its called Tignes - fortunately we have other trips planned later in the season, Zermatt and Ischgl - far easier on the eye Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Although it's low (non-existent) on my list of priorities I headed to Val Thorens last year expecting it to be pretty horrid. I didn't find it to be the case at all, plenty of newer chalet looking buildings no real high rise concrete structures I can recall. I was up the top end-Hotel Tango. Les Menuires on the other hand did look Fugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Nicest? I liked a snowy Kitzbuhel and Courmayeur of the ones of been to so far.
ski holidays
Bene wrote:
Although it's low (non-existent) on my list of priorities I headed to Val Thorens last year expecting it to be pretty horrid. I didn't find it to be the case at all, plenty of newer chalet looking buildings no real high rise concrete structures I can recall. I was up the top end-Hotel Tango. Les Menuires on the other hand did look Fugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

?

Wengen must be up there for one of the prettiest?
snow conditions
I find the buildings at Aime La Plagne to be magnificent. If you catch it in the right light coming from the Plagne Centre area, you can suddenly see what it is about. In the late afternoon, its shadow echoes the shadows of the mountains and you understand what the architect was seeing. Give it a try. It was also, I believe the first building in the world to have full disabled access. Anyting in a mountain environment will be an intrusion. It needs to say something. For me, it does.

snowHead
latest report
Flaine is ok until you go into the shopping area, or to catch the lift up to the Foret. Then it resembles a British multi story car park.
snow conditions
hedley wrote:
Bene wrote:

?

Wengen must be up there for one of the prettiest?

It may be but I've not been.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy