Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The ugliest ski resort in the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
Definitely Le Menuire - it looks a shamles and thrown together. And guess what, they are going to bulldoze it.

Any other candidates for the title?.

Link - here
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm glad they still read PisteHors.com at the Skiclub

http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/0646-get-clarines/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For me it's a close call between Flaine and Les Menuires but at least they're honest ski stations... the prize has to go to Val D'Isere for trying to stone-clad it's way out of ugliness.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Avoriaz - mock cladding falling off run down buidlings, at least Flaine didn't pretend to be wooden.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CP, I like Avoriaz. From the bottom of the valley it blends in (in summer anyway). The original buildings and concept work well for me, tho I can't argue they (as usual) sort of let it slip in the 70s-80s.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CP wrote:
Avoriaz - mock cladding falling off run down buidlings, at least Flaine didn't pretend to be wooden.

Méribel - B&Q's Garden Shed section spread over the Allues mountainside.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pisetehors.com reports how some of Les Menuires biggest eyesores are being bulldozed. personally I think it is a very convenient base for 3v skiing. Not great for nightlife, but to be able to click on the skis and whizz down to the le Masse lifts and ski in the morning sunshine is fantastic.

It is intersting to note that not all are in favour of the postcard tyrolean stuff that is going up in place of the concrete monsters

EDIT: Just read the whole thread. Knew i had seen it somewhere Embarassed

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 29-11-06 9:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flaine without doubt. Bloody awful. Tignes ain't so pretty either.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why has no-one mentioned Alpe d'Huez - a real eyesore
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cervinia's not great either; but my vote goes to La Plagne, especially Plagne Centre.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
CP wrote:

Méribel - B&Q's Garden Shed section spread over the Allues mountainside.

Hear, hear. Avoriaz may be badly made, but it looks OK; rather that than mock chalets any day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tessaventer wrote:
Cervinia's not great either; but my vote goes to La Plagne, especially Plagne Centre.

Yeah, Plange Centre is awful, as is Avoriaz. Flaine is pretty drab - but has a certain Je ne sais Quoi Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For me it's a toss up between Tamworth and Milton Kynes. Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Aviemore Centre was never too pretty
snow conditions
tessaventer, Plagne Centre is paradise compared to Bellecote!
latest report
Any resort with me and charlatanefc in it wink
snow conditions
Actually Sierra nevada doesn't fall far short of Menuires either in appeal, and theres no snow there at the moment either on the webcam
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
tessaventer, Plagne Centre is paradise compared to Bellecote!

All that is a question of point of view

Wink
snow report
RG, Does a buzzer go off in your room when the words "La Plagne" are typed in snowheads Smile snowHead
snow report
Arc 2000 is a bit of a 'blott on the landscape'. Fortunately it's very close to some brilliant ski terrain, so I can forgive the ugliness just a little Smile
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
RG, Does a buzzer go off in your room when the words "La Plagne" are typed in snowheads Smile snowHead

Exactly Laughing
snow conditions
They could transplant most modern Tarentaise resorts to a British 60's urban horror development and noone would spot the difference IMHO.
latest report
Martin Nicholas, its not that bad! Bergers is pretty ugly along with the Rif Nel avenue but the main body of the resort isn't on the same level as Les Menuires and the old part of the resort where the tourist office is, could even be described as pretty. Austria and Switzerland though are way out of our league!
latest report
I can't believe nobody has mentioned Val Thorens! Concrete jungle.... nice Smile
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
They could transplant most modern Tarentaise resorts to a British 60's urban horror development and noone would spot the difference IMHO.

Although not many of the 1960s British Urban Horrors offer world class skiing on their doorstep... Wink
snow report
Funny how (almost) all those mentioned so far are in France! Smile Clearly architecture comes very low in the priority list as to where most of us choose to go skiing.
snow report
tessaventer wrote:
Funny how (almost) all those mentioned so far are in France! Smile Clearly architecture comes very low in the priority list as to where most of us choose to go skiing.

A higher preference for me is skiing convenience in a large and varied ski domain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
tessaventer, I think that's because many of the big resorts in France were purpose-built, and therefore designed to be functional rather than atmospheric.

Robbof, I read somewhere that Val Thorens was designed so as to look attractive when seen from a distance, so when you're in it you're not seeing it from its best aspect.
snow report
johno, I second that! Have you seen the French Families- 6 in a studio for a week and they pack EVERYTHING to take with them!
latest report
johno wrote:
Val Thorens was designed so as to look attractive when seen from a distance

Sounds like good marketing-speak to me!
snow report
johno,
Let's put things into perspective, the only time VT looks atractive from a distance is in the rear view mirror. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee wrote:
johno, I second that! Have you seen the French Families- 6 in a studio for a week and they pack EVERYTHING to take with them!

Yes that's because French salaries are low and taxes are high so people have far less money to flash around.
snow conditions
johno wrote:
tessaventer, I think that's because many of the big resorts in France were purpose-built, and therefore designed to be functional rather than atmospheric.

Robbof, I read somewhere that Val Thorens was designed so as to look attractive when seen from a distance, so when you're in it you're not seeing it from its best aspect.

Really, I kind of see the point in a way as the ski down to it is not too bad.... I don't think it helps being to high for trees!!! Also the chair lifts above the car/coach parks make for quite a shocking view! Still, the run off the Peclet is awesome and makes the ugliness worthwhile! Razz
snow report
I don't think Flaine is too bad. It's not big enough to be truly nasty. I wouldn't want to stay there, but the architecture isn't a distraction to the skiing.
latest report
Most of the resorts in France are grim. Flaine, Isola 2000, Les Menuires, Avoriaz, Tignes and Alpe d'Huez will all be near the top of the list. It is the price you pay for the best and most accessible skiing on the planet.
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
It is the price you pay for the best and most accessible skiing on the planet.

IYHO wink
snow report
laundryman, the architecture in Flaine was (I think) designed to blend into the mountainside when viewed from the pistes. When I first went there, I couldn't believe how ugly it was as we descended down into the bowl, but from high up on the slopes, the buildings disappear.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, I can well believe that.
snow report
Not been to that many places but for pure ugliness it's got to be Alpe d'Huez or Les Menuires.
At least Menuires doesn't pretend to be pretty..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy