Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good Ski Novels?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking for some good ski novels for my family and friends for Christmas. Everything I'm finding is non-fiction. Any suggestions? Thanks.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I suspect they will be few and far between.

I could knock you one out though if you give me a couple of weeks. So I know where to head with it, what do you want from it? Humour? Raunchy? Evil? Save the world plot (I'm sure I could manage it)? Feel good (not so sure about that though, but I'd give it a shot)?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try The Ski Bum by Roman Gary. It's out of print but copies can be had very cheaply on Amazon marketplace. It isn't strictly a book about skiing but the main character is a skier and there are a lot nice passages about skiing. Written in the 60s and a little bit trippy. Definitely worth a look.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
khbeach, A really interesting question. I read lots and OHMSS is the only one I can think of I have read with decent skiing in it and it is pretty old school skiing at that. So much more great literature about climbing it seems.

Searching Abebooks I have found "Death goes on Skis" by Nancy Spain and "Dead men don't ski" by Patricia Moyes...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
khbeach, welcome to snowHead 's
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
khbeach, Good? No idea, not read it , but this was advertised in Courchevel last winter :

http://www.clampedthenovel.co.uk/

Author is a boarder so...............what?!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
khbeach, remember reading one years ago, I think it might have been called parallel lines. It was ( 4 letters, anagram of carp).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jon Trigell who used to work for Natives.co.uk is writing (or has written) his second novel at the moment I believe. It is called Cham and is based in Chamonix.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
this is good, but he ain't finished it Sad

http://masia.org/snowd.htm
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hammond Innes' "The Lonely Skier"?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skisimon, I'm already writing my own ski story NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't know any novels myself - but the Heroes of Telemark story is good enough to be fiction. The recent biography of Shackleton is pretty good too.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
p.s. welcome to snowHeads, khbeach snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
www.aspectjournal.com is a site of ski stories written by skiers. I know it isn't exactly what you asked for but it is good reading. If anyone writes they can submit their stories to the site.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"another long day on the piste" by will randall caught my eye in waterstones a couple of weeks ago and provided some mildly amusing enteraintment for a few hours. Pretty un-salacious however for a boook about a season in the french apls.
ski holidays
The Lonely Skier - Hammond Innes

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lonely-Skier-Hammond-Innes/dp/0330342363?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
Checkout my novel, Snow Waste.

The following is what reviewers are saying about Snow Waste that should give you an idea of what the book is about. You can also visit the book's Web site at www.snowwaste.com.

Great Characters...“Lovable Maine characters."
Unforgettable Characters...“The characters in Snow Waste live still in my memory.”
Maine Setting...“The setting is pure Bethel (Maine).”
Wonderful Story...”A great story line."
Corporate Suspense...“Reflects almost to a tee the battle between ski areas and environmentalists.”
Environmental Intrigue...”Sure to delight anti-establishment viewpoints.”
Ski Resort Underground...“Seedy underbelly of ski resort management.”
michaelebemis@snowwaste.com
www.snowwaste.com
snow report
meb, Welcome to SnowHeads! What a highly original first post Cool .
snow conditions
DarkSummer wrote:
Jon Trigell who used to work for Natives.co.uk is writing (or has written) his second novel at the moment I believe. It is called Cham and is based in Chamonix.

I have just ordered this on Amazon for £3.75 its about a seasonaire in Chamonix.
snow report
Waterstones have it too, well my local one did - it's now in my hot sticky hands
snow conditions
Bode Miller's autobiography is well worth a read.

Not fiction though.
snow report
Cham is a good read especially if you know the place, one review says its misogynistic, that will be cham then.
snow report
khbeach, hey, you wouldn't happen to be a good friend of meb would ya? Just a thought. Hope the film is as good as the book.
snow report
Death in Kashmir - MM Kaye. Nice insight into skiing pre lifts (and how it still is in much of the Himalaya, even where they advertise winter sports), and a good mystery.
latest report
DarkSummer wrote:

I've just finished this. The plot's a bit over-fanciful, but it's beautifully written. I'd be interested to know what SZK thinks of it.
latest report
jbob, The first book, Boy A, has been adapted for television - it's on Channel 4, on Monday at 9pm. It's had very good preview comments (and there's an interview with Trigell in the new Radio Times.)
ski holidays
I have just finished two novels

"Chundering off Chairlifts" and " Toilet facilities at the top of the Lauberhorn"

The first I have experience of and is really an autobiography. The second I have to thank Snowbird and RachelQ for their input.
latest report
Smokin Joe,
The portaloos were full of crap and we did warn all around not to eat yellow snow!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy