Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

la plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Specialman, the second slope? ITS FLAT!! You may aswell take your skis off and walk. I agree with you, cutting beginners up isnt nice, but that should never be a beginners slope- its the only way to get to the melezes- although I think theyre building a new chair from 1800 up to it which is a bonus!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nadenoodlee, said
Quote:

I think theyre building a new chair from 1800 up to it which is a bonus

Details here of the planned lift from Plagne 1800 to Dou du Praz on RG's website http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/News.htm and scroll down to January 5th Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nadenoodlee, yes you have to trudge around the side of the apartment block (if you aren't coming off one of the runs) before you get to that slope which joins the beginner' area near the chairlift. If you have enough pace coming off one of the runs then it's no problem. To be honest, I have no sympathy for anyone who doesn't want to get off their board and walk 50 yards becaus they can't be arsed to give beginners a wide berth.

Maybe it's just bad planning but there are those rather obvious orange signs around the top of the beginner's area saying ' Zone Debutantes' so really there's no excuse for people to come thrashing though. I'm sure the more pacey people only moan when a numpty like myself gets in the way even though they aren't supposed to be going through that way. I had a few near misses thanks to knobends trying to carve around me and would have definitely fought my corner if they had knocked me over!! Mad

I know it's kind of in the wrong place if the resort is supposed to be fluid skiing from one run to another but beginners have to start somewhere and not everyone can afford to spend £100 learning at Tamworth or Excape before their holiday so why not give visiting beginners a true learning area?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Specialman, 10 days and counting,cheers for the advise,i'll keep an eye out for high speeders on the nursey slopes,hopefully they wont cause to much bother to the newbies in the group,although if they do hit one of the blokes they will come off worse(his about the size of the plane we are going in Smile ) hoping the conditions will improve and that horrible ice goes away,does anyone know how long it will take to get from geneva to lp?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
notverygoodatskiing, we flew to Lyon and it took dead on three and half hours, which included dropping all the other people off at the different resorts before Belle Plagne (which is the last one).

I was told that it takes between 2.5 and three hours from Geneva. Apparently, it's a bit shorter thn from lyon but the road's not quite as fast.

It was a lush journey from Lyon though and with the old iPod on, it was just nice to see such beautiful scenery, especially when we got to the mountains. You'll be a gibbering wreck by the time you gte there, full of excitement to just get skiing!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Specialman, the green run down to the Melezes isnt a Zone Debutante- the bit above it is. Are you seriously suggesting people go at the speed of light down into Plagne Centre to get along the flat bit and avoid the other run? Its not possible to get along that on a board even with "a bit of pace" - especially as all the kindergarten kids are based there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee, All I'm saying is that it's not a matter of brain surgey to deduct that a green run attached to a beginner's zone is going to be full of people who aren't too gifted (such as me) when it comes to sliding about on snow, hence why certain users should take this into consideration and be a little more thoughtful.

I know that for my own safety, I shoudn't be venturing onto black runs like those coming off the top of the Glacier. It'd be foolish of me to think that I could do it safely and even though the adrenalin is flowing when I'm on a board and I think I'm invincible, I'm still aware enough that if I go out of control I could seriously hurts someone (being 6' 3" and 14st) regardless of what grade of run I'm on. That's why I obnly did a red run with my mates surrounding me to keep people away.

The same applies to greens - although they're open to everyone, a little bit of common sense from experienced skiers and boarders should dictate they stay clear of areas where beginner are bunched up.

As I said, maybe it's bad planning on the part of the resort, but regardless of this, safety doesn't seem to be the first thing on certain people's minds... and a little bit of walking never did anyone any harms, did it? Very Happy

Looking at the piste map, the green run falls into the 'zone debutante' (it's in the yellow shaded area) so it's pretty clear to anyone that there will be beginners on this run.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just looked on the webcam and they are grooming,why at this time of the day?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's probably snowing (higher up). Looks like rain in Montchavin & Montalbert.

Actually is that the run that's going to have the races on it in the next couple of days?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="Specialman"
The same applies to greens - although they're open to everyone, a little bit of common sense from experienced skiers and boarders should dictate they stay clear of areas where beginner are bunched up. [/quote]

Why should I avoid it? I've paid the same for my lift pass but that's the best route to return to 1800 at the end of the day when I want to put my feet up and have a beer. I'm not advocating bombing through as fast as possible: as it's a novice slope people are lible to turn/emerge in front of you or fall over with no prior warning but OTOH neither me nor 99% of others I'd suspect are going to sideslip through gently: there's plenty of room to go through safely at speed and this is what most people boarders and skiers do.

Anyway isn't being buzzed by the more experienced a significant part of the learning curve? NehNeh
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swirly, Beginner bashing is a rite of passage for most skiers/ Boarders. My youngest brother absolutley loves it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
but that's the best route to return to 1800

Swirly, Over Christmas and New Year you couldnt get to 1800 that way Shocked

(The piste bridge was closed off.) The best route was via the Tele Metro Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
boredsurfin, Its always "closed off" everyone still goes down it though
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boredsurfin, Could have built a jump, that would give everyone an excuse to hammer it down.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nadenoodlee, Ok, Fenced off NO ONE was going down it!

and the 1800 ski school was bussing it's clients up to and down to Plagne centre Confused
snow report
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Swirly, Beginner bashing is a rite of passage for most skiers/ Boarders. My youngest brother absolutley loves it!

Nice philosophy, I'll remember that!

I know I'm most probably in the minority with my opinion but that's what an open forum is for. I learned a lot last week, not only about actual boarding skills, but also about the old skiers Vs boarders thing and just how pig-headed and arrogant some folk can be. Most people weere cool and recognised I was a numpty. Some just didn't give a toss and were greeted with a swift middle finger from yours truly!

I still don't agree that just because you have a higher skill level you are entitled to scare the crap out of people who aren't so sure-footed or confident. I'm a big fella and if some chancer were to bump into me and lay sprawled on the floor as a result, I'd help them back up but not before giving them a mouthful they wouldn't forget quickly (unless it was completely by accident!. That's me though - my 5' 2" girlfriend wouldn't be so forward and I'm sure it would dent her confidence massively and possibly ruin her trip.
snow conditions
Specialman, oh calm down and learn to recognise a bit of sarcasm. its a forum not a soapbox ! And your "holier than thou" attitude is quite boring. When you manage to get off the nursery runs and appreciate the mountain a bit more then you will see they are there for EVERYONE not just beginners.
snow report
i was whiped out at Xmas on the Rhodos (Green) at Merebel, not once but twice, the first time I was just standing there minding my own (to one side of the piste of course) a boarder took me out, luckily I was ok . When you are a beginner (as I sure you all were once ) it is terrifing hearing/sensing/ seeing skiers/boarders hacking down down on you . My New Gen instuctor was getting realy worked up about it. Just a little thought would be good. I want to crack this skiing lark without wetting myself. wink
snow report
moon, couldn't agree more. I crapped myself enough going down a basic blue, not to mention having a blast at one with hundreds of other people surrounding me!!! It's a confidence thing I know - I'm sure Noodlee came out of the womb on a board but not all of us are so gifted!!!

And I do know what sarcasm is thanks Nade. And by the way, a soapbox is just that, a box that soap comes in! A forum is a place for debate and open discussion (oops, that's me getting all sarcastic) Very Happy

I'm sorry if my instinct for the preservation of my own life offends you and that I'm obviously not appreciating the mountain from my nursery runs. I do know that everyone is entitled to use the mountain – I never said any different – but am I not allowed to have my own opinion? You never know, after my next trip in March I may be skilled enough to join your elite club and look down my nose at everyone else Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Is it snowing in La Plagne valley at the mo - or raining?

Can you tell from the lamp light on the precipitation?

(Obviously, at the time of posting)
snow report
Specialman, I do like it when the little people try.
latest report
Nadenoodlee, thanks.

Apology accepted for trying to say that I'm a boring numpty who has no place on the mountainside snowHead snowHead snowHead Nadenoodlee,
ski holidays
NADENOODLEE ' MEGA-SNOWHEAD ' BOUT RIGHT ID SAY Madeye-Smiley
snow report
La Plagne threads x 2
snow conditions
Specialman, im looking forward to the coach ride to see the scenery,ive got my psp until we get to the mountains
latest report
notverygoodatskiing, You'll love it
snow report
Specialman, did you see a bloke skiing in a superman outfit?

so much has been posted since I lasted check, whoops....

But avoid the saloon bar, we went there twice, but way to expensive.
snow report
notverygoodatskiing, psp did get abused on my holiday... not much to see on the drive up to La Plagne, over 3 hours from Lyon you just wanna get to your hotel and not too bothered about the scenery, lol
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman, oh yeah, i found out that i fractured my thumb in 2 places on tuesday, did it on my first day skiing, and carried on skiing with it, Laughing
ski holidays
vernz1983, oops,i carried on for a day when i "hurt" my arm,turns out it was broken,conditions look like they will be better by the time i get there,come on the 27th,hurry up.
snow conditions
If you want to check which lifts
and pistes are open
in La Plagne.

Link here:-

http://www.skiplan.com/skiplan/infostation.php?p_lang=fr&p_station=la-plagne&p_region=alpes&p_pays=france&p_stationformate=La+Plagne
ski holidays
and......

The weather for La Plagne is

Here:-

http://www.ski-laplagne.com/php/bulletin-neige-SAP.php
ski holidays
and.................

The best La Plagne webcam page

is
Here...............

http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Webcams.htm
latest report
Or the english version:
http://www.skiplan.com/skiplan/infostation.php?p_lang=en&p_station=la-plagne&p_region=alpes&p_pays=france&p_stationformate=La+Plagne
snow report
English for weather again Razz
http://www.la-plagne.com/php/bulletin-neige-SAP-vEN.php
snow conditions
vernz1983, La Plagne is in France wink
Only 15% of visitors are from the UK, isnt it remarkable that they go to so much trouble translating theese sites wink
snow conditions
vernz1983, I saw a lot of crazy thinks man but I think that was down to too much fizz in the old Kronenbourg!!! Very Happy

Broken thumb is not good but at least it didn't spoil it for you - 2007 hard man award goes to Vernz!!!
snow report
anyone know where i can find actual temps in the villages?
latest report
just back from a week on the pistes

sunday 14 to wednesday 17, fairly good skiing if you stayed high and on north facing slopes, low and south facing slushy where the pistes existed at all, skied down to plagne 1800

thursday 18, rain - sleet - snow, all height dependent, still skied all day but got very wet

friday 19, pistes covered by about 4/5 inches of wet slushy snow, made for interesting skiing - had great fun on this

BUT by the end of the day the pistes were badly cut up, in some cases down to the base, very brown in many places

really need a long dump of good snow to rebuild the pistes and provide some off piste to ski

best skiing of the week was the mogul run next to the chairlift on the glacier de la chiaupe

I'd love to go back to this area with good snow coverage - it's huge
snow conditions
Does anyone have an update on the very useful (if slightly worrying) report by AlpineWalker, I am rubbish at understanding the weather websites and they seem to be rather generalised and non specific. Going on Sat - what's the latest and what to expect??

Thanks!
A snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy