Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I love whiteouts - am I weird??????????????

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from scariest moments I thought I would ask if I really am as odd as my ski friends say. I enjoy skiing in white out conditions cos I cant see down the slopes and just have to concentrate on turns and getting down. The heavier the better. Indeed I have been known to refuse to ski a slope that I have been doing for 3-4 days in total blizzard, just when the sun comes out.

I appreciate its dangerous to ski in poor visibility conditions but kitted out with warm clothing, goggles etc i find that I am happiest when the weather is poor!!!!!

The best laugh I ever had skiing, was on the Kaprun glacier in a white out in March 02. As we all (yes there were quite a few still out) came off the top of the chair lift, we had a left turn and turn again down onto the piste. Trouble was it was fresh powder about 3-4 ft deep. Each and every person who attempted to dismount the chair, ended up face planting in the deep stuff - I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself (blame child birth, I always do).

Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, you're weird. Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fruity. Pardon me for being so ignorant (I don't know if you're male or female) but is this you?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No David, that's the guy who just bought my Spyder Jacket Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Em, David, if Fruity were male, how could she blame childbirth?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Dunno about whiteout but I do like poor visibility a bit as it sorts out the good weather skiers or boarders form thos who can ride any adverse conditions!!!!

Mr. Green
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mmmm...I remember getting my goggles iced to my head and it hurting when I pulled them off Sad

On the other hand - as Fruity says - what you can't see, can't scare you!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah, I see David's found a picture of Whistler on a good day !
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
a couple of seasons ago, on 3 seperate trips I was having trouble getting my technique 'flowing' till we had a low visibility day and all of a sudden I had no option other than to adopt a knees bent stance and try to 'feel the snow': totally sorted the technique out and when the sun came out again I was skiing way better.

Use the force(of gravity)!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We had a complete whiteout day in Obergurgl this year, and after initial nervousness it was great fun, a good chance to concentrate on technique as it was to dangerous to pick up too much speed.
The sight of three enourmous snow plough vehicles come out of the mist on a very narrow run, like giant metal monsters, was something to behold too. We had no idea which direction they were coming from and literally had to jump out of the way when they finally emerged.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Having torn my MCL in a whiteout (thought I was on the same piste as my friend, so skied over to him - to discover he was actually about six feet below me on the adjacent run) I think you're weird.

If you're lucky you can use the conditions to your advantage (use the Force, Luke) but if you're unlucky like me, then you'll hate whiteouts forever.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fruity. Sorry for getting your gender wrong last time. Let me try again - is this you?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Must be very Fruity, I can't even get in there to have a peek!! Shocked
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you're locked out, try going to http://community.webshots.com/ first.
Then paste in this URL:
http://community.webshots.com/s/image5/3/51/44/72035144XlAsnn_fs.jpg

I can't get it to go wrong now. Perhaps the home page has put a suitable cookie on my machine?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ta Pete, all is revealed. Smile
snow report
Was once on the Kitzsteinhorn, Kaprun in a whiteout. It was snowing hard and hardly anybody else was brave enough (read stupid enough) to venture out. I remember how still and silent everything was, couldn't even hear my skis. Had I become one with the mountain, my movents so smooth and technically correct that they were no effort at all?
After a quick prod with a ski pole I realized that I was in fact 90 deg to the fall line and wasn't moving at all.
Of course when I did point the skis in the right direction and set off again I just fell over like a right t.....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 16-02-04 9:47; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Whiteout in La Plagne earlier this year. my boyfriend and I shussing along, wind in our hair, snow battering our faces, M. Collins getting down further into the tuck position... only to look down and realise we weren't actually moving Embarassed at least no-one else could see us Cool
snow conditions
Well I certainly would be happy to ski in the sunshine after days of dumpage! However there is nothing like skiing in a blizzard when the snow is accumulating so fast your tracks are covered between runs. Deep Powder Yeah!!
When there is no new snow to go with the whiteout, as in thick fog reducing visibility thats another story. I'd much rather be able to see and not have to worry about whats in front of me. I tend to tense up when I can't see and that makes for bad skiing. I like to stay near or in the trees when its like that.
snow report
My wife hates them - makes her fall over! We were in a white out in Tignes and she completely lost her sense of balance. Was quite funny really. it looked as though she had been drinking rather heavily!

Personally, I quite like ski=ing in a white out - makes for some extra excitement Very Happy
ski holidays
Maybe not a complete whiteout - but going out on a bad weather day can be fantastic because you have the slopes to yourself.
Last day of this years holiday was snowy - but was one of the best days. Nasty bumpy slopes get evened out by the snow - and if you do take a tumble it doesn't hurt. Instead of bombing it down the hill - you have to take your time due to the poor visibility, really concentrate on technique and you pay much more attention to what your legs are feeling.
Just need to have good gear - christmas list is already made as I discovered my trousers and gloves weren't made for wet weather!
snow conditions
Don't mind them too much myself (it's about all I can recall from the last 3 of 4 trips), but only 'cos the payback is great snow.

I find myself grinning stupidly with the few other skiirs still out there Laughing
ski holidays
feeling rather glad that i'm not the only loony out here,just skied in total peace last week,but seems that plenty of folks in bar that night do not agree,but maybe they will learn to have fun some non sunny day!!!!
snow report
My first day on my last trip was an unexpected whiteout. Was totally bricking it but more focused on getting down in one piece (bug technique!) so probably, ski-wise, I know hat you mean. Besides which, the chant of "just keep going & you can have a big glass of vin chaud" was enough to keep me going.

Eeyore

p.s. does this make me a snow/p1ss head?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy