Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet ski charge only gets 12kg extra

Poster: A snowHead
This has just been said on another thread and it was noticed by spyderjon - however I think it needs bringing to the attention of all easyjet passengers.

Paying £15 each way to carry skis now only gets you an extra 12kg on your hold luggage allowance (ie total 32kg).
This is not currently made clear in the FAQs on their site, (but is in the Conditions details) but I have asked that it should be in future (Don't know if this will change anything).
This probably means you cannot now take 2 sets of skis in one bag as you used to be able to (unless you have very light skis/sticks/bag).

Ryanair still allows up to 32kg (extra) on a ski bag, but have, of course, reduced the main baggage to 15kg.

For both airlines, if you want to take your boots under this heading they must be in the same bag as the skis. (ie you need a double bag).
or you can put boots in medium-size backpack so they fit the hand-luggage size limit.

I have checked these facts on the phone

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-11-06 1:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Right this is definitely a scam - anyone intelligent at easyjet will know that the most practical ski/board bags are wheelie cases- which then are the logical choice to pack a lot of extra clothes etc in. If they are saying that you can't have a ski bag over 12kg then they are actually asking for the no of bags they handle to increase not decrease.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and to think we used to joke about wearing your ski boots onto the plane... how about long johns, ski trousers and jacket, gloves and a helmet? snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fatbob wrote:
If they are saying that you can't have a ski bag over 12kg then they are actually asking for the no of bags they handle to increase not decrease.
Well, suitcase plus ski bag 32kg max, and then hand luggage. If you wanted another bag you'd have to pay.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only people I know who would need more than the 32kg are racers with several (heavy) pairs of race skis. An average holiday skier should easily be able to stay below 32kg in total.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well I think my skis are about 6kg (too heavy for kitchen scales, and my bathroom ones are not very precise), plus 2kg for bag and sticks (and 4.5 kg for boots). Two sets of skis would mean reducing the other luggage to compensate. Recent years my friends have shared ski bags.
I tend to take things like shovel, probe, avalanche transciever, touring converters, skins, water bottle, first aid kit, file, ski waxing kit etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I took 2 pairs of skis to the PSB in a wheeled ski bag which weighed almost 17 kilos. Got case weight down to 15 kilos. I know it was 5 days rather than a week but not much difference (few more undies and socks). My hand luggage was full of anything heavy though. They didn't weigh that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowball wrote:
fatbob wrote:
If they are saying that you can't have a ski bag over 12kg then they are actually asking for the no of bags they handle to increase not decrease.
Well, suitcase plus ski bag 32kg max, and then hand luggage. If you wanted another bag you'd have to pay.

For a shortish trip I would ideally only want to take my wheelie case with up to 20/32kg of kit & clothes in , so if I am restricted to 12kg on it (& some wheelie bags themselves weigh up to 5kg) I will be taking an additional checked bag = incremental handling costs for easyjet.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Georgio wrote:
The only people I know who would need more than the 32kg are racers with several (heavy) pairs of race skis. An average holiday skier should easily be able to stay below 32kg in total.

Yes but an "average" holiday skier hires a pair of stock rental skis from the nearest shop so its a non-issue for them. People who care about having the right tool for the job are more likely to have multiple pairs of skis or perhaps even skis and a snowboard as they enjoy both sports.

It will be interesting as BA are clearly positioning themselves as the "real" skiers airline.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Here's the relevant section from Easyjet's T&C's:

"Payment of the additional fee increases your checked-in hold baggage allowance (including additional item) to a maximum weight of 32kgs

Where your total checked-in hold baggage weighs more than 32Kgs, normal excess baggage charges as set out below shall apply in addition to the above fee.

Currency Excess Baggage
Per kg
GBP 5.00
Euro 7.50"

I'm not sure if a single passenger is allowed to book two ski bags & if this would up the allowance to 44kg? I'm going to phone them tonight to find out as I'm off to Verbier in Jan & want to take two pairs of skis plus fully avi gear etc.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
fatbob, I was told recently by a BA pilot that they're reviewing their baggage policy early next year & to be prepared for ski charges.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I tried to summarise the allowances a few weeks ago, someone suggested doing a WIKI but i dont know how to do it. can anyone sort this out??

snowHead Airline baggage Summary

RYANAIR
Checking bags cost £7 return for each bag if done on line
Double this if done at gate and not on line
Checked bag allowed weight reduced from 20kg to 15KG
Carry on allowance is 10Kg
Excess Baggage Charged at £5.50 per kilo each way
£31 for checking skis return, weight of skis is in addition to your 15kg

EASYJET
One hold bag per person, free of charge.
Additional bags £10 return for each additional bag , when pre-paid online
Double this if done at gate and not on line
Checked bag allowance 20kg, are subject to excess baggage charges
Excess Baggage Charged at £5.00 per kilo each way
£30 for checking skis return, weight of skis is in addition to your 20kg but limited in total to 32kg
??easyjet doesnt seem to have a carry on weight limit

SWISS economy
Carry on 8kg
Free one pair of skis and one pir of boots in addition to your 20kg checked allowance
20kg checked baggage allowance which can be pooled between group

BA economy
Carry on 8kg
Free one pair of skis and one pir of boots in addition to your 23kg checked allowance
23kg checked baggage allowance which can be pooled between group

Eurostar - No weight limits

Tips
You can try it on and put two pairs of skis in one bag
On Ryanair take boots as carry on if they fit the size restriction 55 x 40 x 20cm
Make sure no one bag exceeds checked bag limits of 15 or 20kg

EASYJET & RYANAIR You cannot pool weight if you are traveling as a group.
Don’t share one big case, you will get done for overweight luggage!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BA is different to North America too - up to 32kg per bag I think but with some weird ski bag interaction thing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
scottp, You're right re Easjet's carry-on policy is one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm with no weight restriction.

Providing one can lift it unaided in to the overhead lockers & it fits in the 'gauges' at the check-in then that's ok.

It's therefore best to take small/heavy items as carry-on. Unfortunately many items won't pass the security check, ie avi shovel & tool kit etc.

Unlimited carry-on still doesn't help anyone wanting to take two pairs of skis rolling eyes.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, the 32kg is a health and safety limit for all baggage (70 lbs in american money) so the baggage loaders dont kill themselves.

Most carriers are a bit more relaxed on weight limits for trans atlantic flights.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 29-11-06 9:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
When did these new rules come into effect, and if you booked your tickets prior to it, do the old rules still apply ?
ski holidays
spyderjon, that
Quote:
I was told recently by a BA pilot that they're reviewing their baggage policy early next year & to be prepared for ski charges.

concurs with what I was told by BA check-in staff on Friday and posted here http://snowheads.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=20975 earlier.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 28-11-06 19:25; edited 1 time in total
latest report
IncogSkiSno, Easyjet rules were in place on 31 October, start of PSB. Don't know about old rules. I think they make them up and you have to stick by them unless you have printed them all out, dated, when you first booked. And who does that?
snow report
maggi, hmm, we booked in July and have never had a problem with the weight of the snowboard bags before which are stuffed full: 2 boards (minus bindings), boots and all sorts of kit in. If they have changed it, surely they should let their customers know, but I guess there is no profit it that? Confused
snow report
I either a) put my boots in my rucksack or b) if using my touring boots, wear them onto the plane and frequently then get everything else into just my skibag - as I'm wearing my ski-trousers, jacket, thermals etc, and helmet is either in the skibag or in my carry on daysack. Sounds like I should be OK then Wink .
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
fatbob, I was told recently by a BA pilot that they're reviewing their baggage policy early next year & to be prepared for ski charges.

April may be the time for a change - below from BA's website

Snow Ski Equipment that falls within this definition is carried free in addition to your normal baggage allowance, until 30th April 2007. A maximum weight of 23kg (51lbs) applies to each bag.

snowHead
latest report
You don't need to "try it on". I asked Ryanair if their 32kg rule meant they allowed 2 pairs of skis in one ski bag and they said yes.
ski holidays
£30 charge to carry skis? It never used to be like this. Alot of the national airlines do not charge, are using more expensive airports & can quite often match or beat the fares of Easy Jet ?

This is a direct exploitation of the snowsports enthusiast.

How about charging other sportsmen for say

Tennis Raquets
Footballs
Hockey stick

I hope skiers go back to hiring in resorts thus denying EasyJet there quick buck from our sport.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy