Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Myth #3 = 50:50 equal weighting on modern skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
veeeight,
Quote:

Remember, this is good strong skiing we are looking at here, we are just talking about tweaking.

Agreed, however the reason his skis get wider apart during the turn is because his legs are angulating into the hill, resulting in one ski being higher up the mountain than the other - his legs are still the same width apart. To keep his skis equidistant would be a physical impossibility unless one leg suddenly vanished!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
veeeight, .
Quote:
His left arm pole plants are poor, they are late and sometimes non existent. More of a flick and jab at the last moment, not fluid and smooth. His lack of assertive pole swing (reaching forward and down) puts him in a slightly banked (inclined) position throughout the turn, and thus he is not effectively balanced as well as he could be on his outside ski.

Sounds just like the description given to me last year in Whistler.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

To keep his skis equidistant would be a physical impossibility unless one leg suddenly vanished!

You don't believe in having a consistent track width?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
veeeight,
Nah! I like both legs just fine!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
veeeight wrote:
alan empty, I'm not deliberitely ignoring you, but your very good and valid questions are at the point where they should really be talked through and demonstrated on a slope!

That's cool - as long as my questions are good and valid - unusual for me Smile

Quote:
The quick and dirty answer is that your inside ski should be involved by "hooking up" enough to steer it to match the outside ski, but by "hook up" I don't necessarily mean put your "weight" on it........

* head hurts *
I'm going to have to give this some more thought - possibly on snow. Is it January yet?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
alan empty wrote:
Quote:
Yep, agreed with not forgetting the inside leg, but this does not mean "weight" on the inside ski. Two footed skiing means using the inside ski to steer (turn, edge, pressure control) as well.

Veeeight, could you explain a bit more what you mean by pressure control? I can't picture anything that wouldn't involve a certain amount of "weighting" of the inside ski. As I mentioned previously, I've been working on getting my inside ski more involved for a couple of seasons - initially with a focus on using it to steer which definitely improved my skiing. However, last season I also played around with increasing the weight I put on it and that seemed to have some benefits as well. Are you saying that this something we should be avoiding or just that we shouldn't be neglecting our outside skis too much?

Just an observation, but it seems to me that you can press the ski or boot or little toe into the ground without actually standing on it. Weight is just that - relatively inert and passive. Pressure is active, but one does not necessarily include or exclude the other.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I apologise for being absent lately, but have too much to do, not enough time to do it, and replies to questions on this forum often require consideration! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
*bump*
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
To the original point, I don't think a strict 50:50 is desirable. You will need to be aware that you want to spread your weight over two skis more acutely in deeper snow so react accordingly but a concerted 50:50 on piste can look so contrived and not at all dynamic. Just my take...

I generally think that if you fill people's minds that they must be doing this and that in a dynamic sport, it can get confusing to them later on when physical forces rip that apart or that the terrain dictates another approach. They then say...but I was told...!!!!!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy