Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Myth #3 = 50:50 equal weighting on modern skis

Poster: A snowHead
As usual, the subject and topic goes way deep, but for now:

The key phrase is "Dominant Outside Ski".

Once you can balance well on the outside ski, everything else will follow (Marc Girardelli).

When the snow is hard, and you want to extract maximum grip from your skis, you need to be balanced on your outside ski. The more you use your inside ski, the less the available grip on your outside ski. Being balanced on your outside ski will maximise the penetrating force relative to the slipping force.

All the time?

Just about. Unless the snow is very soft, you will almost always make a better turn of you have a dominant outside ski. Even in soft snow, a dominant outside foot usually works well. Deep bottomless powder is just about the only situation where a more even weighting may be desirable.

You will need a dominant outside ski in the steeps. For sure.

Interestingly, if you incline (lean into the hill), you will almost certainly transfer the way you stand on your skis, and lessen the dominance of the outside ski. Which is why too much inclination is not good, and you must start to angulate. This will help move the Centre of Mass into the inside of the turn, but help maintain the penetrating force on the outside ski.

Width of stance will also play a part. Novice skiers ski with an ultra wide stance because their lateral balance is uncertain. As you get better, and the speed and forces build up, if you try and move your Centre of Mass to the inside of the turn, but still have a wide stance, chances are that you will inadvertantly load up the inside ski, and you will lose performance from your outside ski. It will take practice to ski, with your skis the appropriate width apart, and not load up the inside ski too much (think short leg, long leg).

Always strive to be balanced on your outside ski. How can you tell if you are? If you're skiing on the pisted runs, you should be able to pick up your inside ski at will. If you're "falling" back onto it, or having to put it down again to recover your balance, chances are that you're not well balanced on your outside ski.

50:50? Yes. Momentarily, normally in the transition.

Many people confuse the phrase "modern skiing is about two footed skiing" with having even "weight" on both skis.

Oh. And beware those that try and define a ratio (eg; 80:20, 70:30 etc.). How can you assign a specific number on a ratio that is constantly changing depending on: turn phase, turn type, speed, radius, snow condition etc.etc.?There is no "basic ratio"!! Just a dominant outside ski.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 28-11-06 19:12; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
veeeight, Sadly it's not a myth - there are (apparently) loads of instructors out there telling peeps to do it! Shock
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know. That's why I want to set the record straight!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
...and the 100:0 isn't right either, in my opinion.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
...and the 100:0 isn't right either, in my opinion.

It is when you've lost one ski!!!
snow report
 Darky
Darky
bh1 wrote:
LOL!!! Very Happy rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, so that explains why when going fast, putting extra pressure/force down the outside ski makes the turn more assured/stable.

veeeight wrote:
Oh. And beware those that try and define a ratio (eg; 80:20, 70:30 etc.). How can you assign a specific number on a ratio that is constantly changing depending on: turn phase, turn type, speed, radius, snow condition etc.etc.?There is no "basic ratio"!! Just a dominant outside ski.

I suppose I start with an equal weighting (naughtily I think it's occassionally even more on the inside ski), and then as I go into the turn I just add more and more to the outside ski until it 'feels' right.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i agree Dominate the outer, but dont forget you have an inner. a lot of intermediates end up leg locking when trying to dominate the outer and fall into the hill on their weaker side.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's interesting reading stuff like this, veeeight - keep 'em coming.

I did some exercises last season where I focused on putting as much weight through the turn on the 'wrong' ski. I found it pretty helpful in getting my passive leg more involved (particularly with flexing the ankle) - up to that point I'd focused on using it to steer but I wasn't as 2-footed as I'd have liked. The instructor pointed out that I didn't need to think too much about the 'dominant outside ski' because I'd spent years skiing like that and, to an extent, it would mostly retain the power/balance/thingymajig around the turn anyway. That leg was already trained.

Apologies if that's a bit garbled - obviously I'm not an instructor Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
veeeight, wonderful. Very Happy
Only query
Quote:

Always strive to be balanced on your outside ski. How can you tell if you are? If you're skiing on the pisted runs, you should be able to pick up your inside ski at will. If you're "falling" back onto it, or having to put it down again to recover your balance, chances are that you're not well balanced on your outside ski.

When you are skiing at high performance levels you need both skis? (I mean at speed)

This is a question as I believe that at the edge of performance, both skis are working, agreed not 50:50 not even close.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skisimon wrote:
veeeight, so that explains why when going fast, putting extra pressure/force down the outside ski makes the turn more assured/stable.

It sure is!

Yep, agreed with not forgetting the inside leg, but this does not mean "weight" on the inside ski. Two footed skiing means using the inside ski to steer (turn, edge, pressure control) as well.

Quote:
When you are skiing at high performance levels you need both skis? (I mean at speed)

This is a question as I believe that at the edge of performance, both skis are working, agreed not 50:50 not even close.

Yes, you use both skis. Your outside ski is however, still dominant. The inside ski is laying down a parallel track, you have to make this happen, but the majority of you is still balancing on your outside ski.

By way of observation, most recreational skiers (and high end skiers) *think* they have a dominant outside ski, but in actual fact, don't.

Now I just know I'm going to regret posting this link - this is a very good high end skier. But for my eye, he still has a little too much inside ski action, especially with his right-turns. But don't get me wrong, this is very good solid skiing. I'm just using this to show that even at the top end you can still improve.

http://youtube.com/v/t6ZoJZ0exPI
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Veeeight,

I see what you mean with the video but is the fact that he is weighting the inside ski more than necessary placing any limitations on his skiing. Isn't the technique that he's using a reasonable CHOICE given the speed, radius and snowconditions? I think it can be fun to play around with more equal weighting in conditions like that. If I was on hard snow or trying to bend the ski very tight I'd be aiming for close to 100% on the outside ski.

J
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
by the way, should have said that this is a good myth to puncture - as easiski says many instructors / articles talk about equal weighting as if its something to aim for
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
veeeight, I think I see what you mean - seems to me the chap is sticking his bum into the mountain instead of standing on the outside ski? (Apologies for the idiosyncratic terminology)
snow report
So what is the % split in powder skiing? Is the outside ski still dominant?
ski holidays
"On soft snow, the best technique is directly derived from monoskiing. On hard snow, the modern skis allow us to follow monoski technique up to about 50 %."

If we do not agree on this, then the 50-50 is really a myth. If we do, hey, bring those planks back! I remember that getting some air with them was way cool!
ski holidays
I can't imagine a situation where the outside ski is NOT dominant, even on flatter sections. I can't see how control can be maintained without this domination. Can someone give me an example of where this might not be the case?
snow conditions
zammo,
Quote:

I can't imagine a situation where the outside ski is NOT dominant, even on flatter sections. I can't see how control can be maintained without this domination. Can someone give me an example of where this might not be the case?

Royal Christies?
ski holidays
T Bar, are they like Christies but German/Greek/Scottish in descent?
latest report
zammo,
Probably, Actually I think they were a ski ballet move where you turned on your inside ski holding your outside one in the air leg parallel to the ground, I am not certain though,only seen them in books.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also White Pass turns - start the turn on your inside ski, switch to the outside one as you get into the fall line.

Regarding this topic, I tend to shy away from anyone (no matter what their qualifications) who will say you should never do something, or you should always do something else.

I don't think either 100:0 or 50:50 is "the best", but the ability to ski either, or anywhere in-between - that adds to your ability. Being fixed in an "everything on the outside" or "50:50" is limiting, in my opinion.
snow report
So, v8, no such thing as feathering the flex to modulate turn radius?
snow conditions
Quote:

Isn't the technique that he's using a reasonable CHOICE given the speed, radius and snowconditions?

Yes, no great consequence on that terrain.

Quote:

I can't imagine a situation where the outside ski is NOT dominant

White Pass Turns. A valid GS technique/tactic.

Quote:

Being fixed in an "everything on the outside" or "50:50" is limiting, in my opinion

Yep. have the ability to go from 100:0, 50:50, 0:100 and everything in between at will. But in "normal" all mountain skiing, you do want a dominant outside ski (no ratios please) for the most effective turns. And remember, this is an open skilled sport, so the ratios (if you want to think of them as such) are constantly changing.

Quote:

So, v8, no such thing as feathering the flex to modulate turn radius?

Yes, feather the flex, but do so on the dominant outside ski. And yes, racers use either ski depending on their line and tactic choice. But for now this is aimed at general all mountain skiing.
latest report
veeeight, looking at that video clip, I would feel that his left turns are actually less certain and look less stable (to me) than his right turns which look more dynamic and confident.
I think everybody has their preferred turn-direction and left isn't his (IMHO).

This seems to be the opposite of what you are saying - BTW, when I say right I mean the turn which from the view of the camera below is on the right side of the slope and in which the skier makes a clockwise turn when viewed from above.
snow conditions
I think his turns to his left are stronger than his turns to his right. (Left and Right are from the skiers perspective).

Is that what you meant?

And yes, everyone has a stronger/weaker side.
snow conditions
zammo wrote:

As I posted on V8's first "myth" thread

Quote:
In the end of course [GS] race (admittedly a quite flat and easy course, some tighter corners with a bit of bare glacier ice in the middle, it was possible to stay in a tuck through the vast majority of it), Phil had two runs. In the first he concentrated on being as light and smooth as possible on his skis throughout, with as even weighting between inside and outside as possible. On the second he adopted a much more traditional weighting the outside ski, push-to-accelerate-out-of-the-turn, approach.

The first was well over a second faster than the second (50.57 vs 51.84).

A clear case where outside dominance was measurably inferior to a 50:50 weighting. The snow was essentially 3-5cm of hardpack on top of glacier ice.
latest report
I think he'd look a whole bunch better if he was wearing pants that weren't black.

(Am I on the wrong thread here?)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch wrote:
I think he'd look a whole bunch better if he was wearing pants that weren't black.

(Am I on the wrong thread here?)

Right thread DM - it's all fashion wink
snow report
Nick L, you see confidence; I see a bit of rush on turn entry so that he's high on the RH edges almost immediately. I thought it was terrain influenced, whaddoIknow.

As to what eng_ch mentions, is this guy CSIA?
ski holidays
Well I'm very glad to see that this thread isn't going the way of the last thread on this subject. Of course as you become a better skier you will improve your ability to change the amount of weight and pressure on either ski according to the terrain, snow conditions and your mood. At the end of the day, as already stated the outside ski still needs to be dominant (if that's the phrase you like). I am quite alarmed at the number of peeps recently who've had lessons with a variety of nationalities and have apparently been told to keep 50-50 in all conditions - wouldn't have worked very well at the mondial! Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

As to what eng_ch mentions, is this guy CSIA?

It's from the PSIA-NW Tech Team Website NehNeh
snow conditions
veeeight, whats your take on the skier in the videos foot width. He seems to start and finish the feet together and go to a wider stance through the turn, I've been critisised for skiing like this in the past.
snow report
GrahamN, hmmm, in run 1. Mr Smith claims to be skiing v smoothly and run 2. claims otherwise. What's he was doing is the old instructor trick of spoofing you into doing what you should be doing. So he demonstrates case a, while claiming it is case b, but making it look like case a all along.

I believe that MI6 and the KGB had this down to a fine art in the 60's ("The Spy who came in from the Cold", f'rinstance).
ski holidays
rich, Well spotted.

That is one of the visual clues that he is over his inside ski a little too much (amongst other things). In the transition, he is at neutral. Shortly after, he looks very well balanced on his outside ski. As he progresses through the turn however, his skis widen laterally (the inside ski, because it has enough edge and pressure against it, takes it's own, shorter path, therefore the lateral distance between outside ski and inside ski widens). It is only because of his skill he can steer both skis to maintain them in parallel and not fall to the inside.
snow conditions
Quote:
Yep, agreed with not forgetting the inside leg, but this does not mean "weight" on the inside ski. Two footed skiing means using the inside ski to steer (turn, edge, pressure control) as well.

Veeeight, could you explain a bit more what you mean by pressure control? I can't picture anything that wouldn't involve a certain amount of "weighting" of the inside ski. As I mentioned previously, I've been working on getting my inside ski more involved for a couple of seasons - initially with a focus on using it to steer which definitely improved my skiing. However, last season I also played around with increasing the weight I put on it and that seemed to have some benefits as well. Are you saying that this something we should be avoiding or just that we shouldn't be neglecting our outside skis too much?

Quote:
By way of observation, most recreational skiers (and high end skiers) *think* they have a dominant outside ski, but in actual fact, don't.

I'm surprised by that - would you say that was also the case when we were all on straight(ish) skis or is it a result of changes in ski technology (and instruction)?
snow report
Quote:

I'm surprised by that - would you say that was also the case when we were all on straight(ish) skis or is it a result of changes in ski technology (and instruction)?

Credit to Ott Gangl for this bit of brilliant writing:

Quote:
To manufacture skis with adequate torsional stiffness they were also very stiff lengthwise and when standing on both of them they would barely flatten out.

....which meant to make then turn, one had to put ALL/FULL weight on the outside ski which left the inside ski vulnerable to wander or cross since it was just hanging there...

...consequently we had to control that ski without putting any weight on it...

...by advancing the inside ski about six inches and pressing it sideways against the outside ski and boot the tip couldn't cross because the shovel of the outside ski prevented it and the tail couldn't cross because the boot of the inside ski was ahead of the the weighted boot...

....and like magic we could keep the weightless ski from wandering without having to put any weight on it.

It was true one ski skiing,. For carving we pressured the front of the boot hard and if both the inner boot and outer boot were laced well enough it would transfer the pressure and bend the ski from forward of the toe piece to the shovel and carve nicely. The tails of the skis were too narrow to follow as the shaped skis do so they just brushed or chattered along.

When softer and shorter skis came out, we discovered independant leg action and everything went haywire..........
ski holidays
alan empty, I'm not deliberitely ignoring you, but your very good and valid questions are at the point where they should really be talked through and demonstrated on a slope!

The quick and dirty answer is that your inside ski should be involved by "hooking up" enough to steer it to match the outside ski, but by "hook up" I don't necessarily mean put your "weight" on it........

If easiski or ssh or anyone else wants to have a go at answering this one feel free as my brain is now fried as I've just written and posted #4.
ski holidays
veeeight, .
Quote:
I think his turns to his left are stronger than his turns to his right. (Left and Right are from the skiers perspective). .

I think i can see that his left turn is stronger than his right but it looks like his pole plant is actually less defined when starting his good turn comparred to his weaker turn. Am I completely wrong here or is this of no consequence? Also trying to tie together threads how do you view his upper body position in relation to direction. I think he looks pretty square to the skis all the way through the turn and also on the corresponding short radius video.

Just looking for comments as I am in no way an advanced skier but can see a lot of myself in what this guy is doing.
snow report
His right arm pole plants are quite good, the pole basket is swinging at roughly the same rate as his outside foot (ski), and he's keeping the pole swing assertively forward, putting him in a good angulated position to balance on his outside ski.

His left arm pole plants are poor, they are late and sometimes non existent. More of a flick and jab at the last moment, not fluid and smooth. His lack of assertive pole swing (reaching forward and down) puts him in a slightly banked (inclined) position throughout the turn, and thus he is not effectively balanced as well as he could be on his outside ski.

Regarding counter, I would say that he is appropriately countered for what he is doing. He's most definitely not square to the skis in either the short radius nor medium radius. His hip is "open" to the outside of the turn, and facing his line of momentum.

Remember, this is good strong skiing we are looking at here, we are just talking about tweaking.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy