Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone skied Kyrgyzstan or Kazakhstan?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Skiing in the Kyrgyz Republic aka Kyrgyzstan is pretty good. Plenty of places to stay. It takes a bit to get used to things and easy to get overcharged. (Ripped) If you are planning to come over these parts of the globe. Let me know and I can point you in the right direction. Be Safe.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I live and work in Bishkek - Kyrgyz Republic aka Kyrgyzstan. Good skiing, if you anyone is coming across and need pointing in the right direction, accommodations etc. Drop me a note.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We (a group of Dutch friends - good skiers) are planning a 10-12 day ski trip to Kyrgyzstan and/or Kazachstan early March 2012. We want to do a combination of lift assisted off piste skiing, ski touring (maybe a multi day tour) and/or heli skiing (if it brings us to interesting places).

One idea is to fly to Almaty and ski near Almaty first (Chimbulak?) and then cross the mountains into Kyrgyzstan. Not via Bishkek but via the pass that leads to the Karakol area. Does anyone know if this is possible in winter (by 4WD)?

We would welcome suggestions on areas to go in Kyrgyzstan and Kazachstan. What are the best areas for off piste skiing? Any interesting summit or crossing we could attempt? Good heli options?

I read the posts here and am getting the idea there must be some great gems to find. I have been to Kyrgystan twice but both times were in Summer. Now looking foward to experiencing this beautiful country in Winter.

Thanks for help!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=81126&highlight=
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would start in Almaty:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1819389&highlight=#1819389

Big buzz for skiing there this year with hosting the asian winter games. Lots of new infrastructure and easy to get to the resort from the town then what looked to be some great glacier skiing to be had as you climb above the main resort high point.

Not skiied there yet but heading back in Feb. I loved the city.

Chimbulak is actually spelled Shymbulak Smile a first for me correcting someone elses spelling Toofy Grin

http://www.shymbulak.com/en/

You will need a visa from the london embassy if you are planning coming back into the country more than once, but if your just staying in the country then you can get a single entry visa for $95 (US dollars cash only) from the consulate services desk at the airport And make sure you get TWO stamps on your entry card ( most hotels will sort this out for you) if you dont then the police will give you a hefty fine.

For my money Id do the trip to the london embassy and get a multi entry visa to give you the flexibility as they are quite strict on keeping tabs on visitors.

The roads upto the Shymbulak resort are in good condition (better than many in UK) but beyond that they looked to be fairly 'interesting' to say the least and even in the summer our driver was not happy taking his hilux further than the resort (mind you is was brand spanking new)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 6-11-11 21:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Roga and Kevin for quick replies! And thanks for correcting my spelling of Shymbulak Very Happy! I skied there one day in 2002. We planned to hike but it dumped 50cm powder so we had no other choice than to change our hiking booths for rented ski boots..

As for 40tribes, I am in touch with them but we probably opt to not stay at Karakol all week. I have been there 10 years ago as part of a fantastic one month travel in Kyrgyzstan (2002). Spent another 5 weeks in Kyrgyzstan to climb Pik Lenin (1997). What we are looking for now is great skiing and adventure. We prefer to do a combination of places. A friend is guiding for 40tribes and has been there last year as well. He says it's great. So curious to hear your experiences. BUt we will try other places.

So anyone with other ideas - please shout!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A visa is no longer required for entry into Kyrgyzstan if you are a citizen of most "high GDP" countries, including the UK. I'd assume that the Netherlands is one of those:)

The passes from KZ to KG near Lake Issykul are often blocked by snow in winter, but road improvements are always ongoing so who knows? Maybe ask on the Lonely Planet forum as folks there are pretty knowledgeable:

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/forum.jspa?forumID=13

Cheers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kazahstan still needs a visa so if you are starting in Almaty you will def need a multi entry visa. Good to hear that Kygy is relaxing the visa requirements though may mean that KZ follows suit
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abartelds wrote:
We (a group of Dutch friends - good skiers) are planning a 10-12 day ski trip to Kyrgyzstan and/or Kazachstan early March 2012. We want to do a combination of lift assisted off piste skiing, ski touring (maybe a multi day tour) and/or heli skiing (if it brings us to interesting places).

One idea is to fly to Almaty and ski near Almaty first (Chimbulak?) and then cross the mountains into Kyrgyzstan. Not via Bishkek but via the pass that leads to the Karakol area. Does anyone know if this is possible in winter (by 4WD)?

We would welcome suggestions on areas to go in Kyrgyzstan and Kazachstan. What are the best areas for off piste skiing? Any interesting summit or crossing we could attempt? Good heli options?

I read the posts here and am getting the idea there must be some great gems to find. I have been to Kyrgystan twice but both times were in Summer. Now looking foward to experiencing this beautiful country in Winter.

Thanks for help!

Did you ever go to Kyrgyztan last year and how was it?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
finkelberry, I went with 40 Tribes Backcountry last year and had a very enjoyable trip - look them up on Google and/or Facebook. They have had a bit of media attention over the last couple of months so there are links .

I posted a report of my trip on this website, but all the pictures don't work since the service which hosted them was removed (.mac by apple rolling eyes ) and I haven't bothered to put them back up. It was a great experience though. You can find a writeup and photos by the trip organiser here (see the sidebar for links to the Kyrgyz stuff)

http://offpisteskiing.blogspot.co.uk/2012_03_01_archive.html
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
this is a fun thread. Makes a change from "shall I go to La Rosiere or Ellmau?" wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy