Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip report - Snoworks course, Tignes 18-15th November

Poster: A snowHead
Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place, but here goes...

I joined the Snoworks course in Tignes last week. I was booked into the GS race training, even I'd only skied for 5 weeks, and on long skis for 1.5 weeks beforehand. However an instructor on the course (Gareth Roberts) said I would be fine to do the course.

The evening before the course, I completely bottled it. I was terrified. All the people there, without exception, had been skiing for donkeys years, and all seemed to have way more experience and be far better skiers than me. Gareth persuaded me to continue, which I did.

The first morning started badly too - because I have cystic fibrosis and my lung function is only 60-70% normal, I struggled big time with the altitude, despite being very fit and doing lots of exercise, both general and specific, in preparation. I couldn't carry my skis to the funicular, and then found the uphill herringbone and traverse to where the gates were set up extremely hard work, requiring multiple stops to get my breath back. I felt very bad, because I was obviously holding up my group, who had to stand around in the cold waiting for me to struggle across. I also have a bad leg with reduced sensation in my left foot as a result of a road traffic accident, and found I was constantly stumbling over when pushed in the queue for the funicular in the morning rush.

I was also terrified by the gates, but managed two runs down without snowploughing and without skiing out (more than most of our group did!).

After the first day, I offered to drop out, because of the problems I was having and the delays I was posing for the rest of the group. However, Phil, John (my instructor) and Gareth got heads together and suggested I came up on a later, less crowded funicular, and joined the race group later on in the morning, then did a bit of John's technical course in the afternoon. This worked much better, and as it turned out, because of weather-related delays, I ended up doing almost all of both the courses (In case anybody is wondering, I did pay extra for this!).

Although I was placed (quite rightly) in the slowest, least experienced group, I made quick progress, and was the quickest skier in training in my group by a reasonable to large margin, which was very encouraging for somebody like me with low confidence. I also found the video feedback extremely helpful, because I thought I'd look like a rank beginner, but I didn't, and I was actually cranking over quite a long way, and carving very well indeed, using both skis with good technique.

The technical course was good, and re-inforced a lot of things, and the weather provided excellent practice at skiing in a wide range of conditions some of which I hadn't encountered before (including ice, blown powder, blizzard/whiteout conditions, heavy snow, variable snow, rut-runs. T-bars and so on).

I had bad luck in the race - the lift broke down and I got to the start late, when most people had already had two runs, so my first run was on an already heavily rutted and icy course. Then a skier fell in front of me, and I had to brake and avoid them. The course was much harder, longer, faster and more technical than anything we had practised on, and the length made my breathing problems come into sharper focus. Nevertheless I did complete a second run, but with a much poorer time than I'd expected. I still beat a few people 'though, including somebody doing instructor training Madeye-Smiley

Mr Docsquid did much better than me, and got promoted two groups, ending up with rob@rar. Mr DS is a very good skier, and I think this boosted his confidence too, because pushing him beyond his comfort zone was good for him, as he's been well within it skiing with me over the last couple of years.

In retrospect, the course was much too physically hard for me, and I won't be doing any skiing in Tignes again - it is just too high. Nevertheless I did improve, and that is the main thing. It taught me that I'm not the worst skier on the mountain, and that was also a confidence-booster, because I am usually convinced I AM the worst skier! Indeed, technically, John was very pleased indeed with my skiing, and another instructor I was chatting to said I skied "bl**dy well for somebody who has only 5 weeks experience". John used me as his "assistant" on occasions to demonstrate how drills should be done properly. I was chuffed with those most unexpected compliments.

I would like to try some more speed work, but probably have to accept that my knees are not up to skiing in the ruts that build up round gates, and my lungs aren't up to the altitude.

Another highlight of the week was watching a blind skier and his guide on the mountain - we were having such problems in the whiteout, yet he effectively skied like that all the time! Amazing, and both very nice chaps too.

My impression is that Phil Smith is a great and enthusiastic teacher. However I don't think he is so interested in people at a lower standard (i.e. below instructor trainee level), like me, as he could be. I also don't think he is very good at appreciating what physical disabilities are like. I wouldn't recommend the race course to anybody who has a physical issue, be it mechanical (bad joints), CV (heart or lung problems of any kind), or any other significant disability. The technical course is different and may suit a wider range of skiing abilities and physical disabilities. It is clear that they are very good and rightly popular courses.

I'm sure rob@rar will have a different perspective on the course.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great report, thanks for sharing!
hopefully there will now be a new perspective on the 'percieved versus actual ability' thread!!! - Nice one. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting reading docsquid, sounds like you personally got a lot out of the course in difficult circumstances and you both improved a lot.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
docsquid Intersting reading, it's our turn on the 2nd - though not for race training I hasten to add. Confused
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
docsquid, I skied with Phil earlier this year. Within the group were 3 skiers who were nowhere near instructor trainee level. He was just as patient, encouraging, supportive and enthusiastic with them as with everyone else. With your various medical problems as opposed to your skiing experience I think you were very courageous to take on a race training course on the Tignes glacier, weren't you? And I'm a little surprised you were then still advised that it would be a good choice for you. However, from the tale you've told it sounds like you coped pretty well and got a lot out of it despite everything, so well done you!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, which course are you doing? The technical course was really good, and I particularly enjoyed the fun activities on the last day, which included synchronised skiing. The bumps course was mainly technical because of lack of snow, but eventually they made their own bumps lines and used them combined with the rut runs on the slalom courses. The big dump we had on Tuesday didn't settle much on the glacier because of the high wind blowing it away, although it settled in places. There may be more snow before you go and the opportunity for bumps to develop.

slikedges, you are right, I was probably not advised well. I think the instructor was thinking about my ski ability, which WAS up to the course, as opposed to my physical difficulties, which weren't. I do think it is hard for extremely fit instructors to place themselves in the position of somebody with a major physical difficulty, unless they have specifically trained in adaptive skiing.

What I did like was the way everybody was very enthusiastic, and supportive. Overall, a positive experience, although for me rather physically and sometimes emotionally shattering!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
docsquid, The All Terrain Course is what I am booked on, but I may end up on the Easy Terrain, which won't be a problem as I am there to learn, not compete. Shame about the snow conditions though. Sad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
docsquid,
I am deeply impressed with what you have achieved and am sure that when you get skiing with a little more oxygen around you will really find the benefits. Hope you find better snow and lower altitudes for your next skiing. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You have my admiration for doing the course, and it sounds like you did very well on it Smile

Have you worked out what altitude is more comfortable for you? I certainly would like to think that Tignes has a lot more to offer skiing wise "in season" than just the glacier.

In fact I don't actually think I went up there on my previous 2 trips as there was plenty of very good skiing lower down.

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The All-Terrain course is one I am interested in. Cannot do it this year due to other skiing commitments at the times it is running. However, I would be very interested in reading the comments and experiences of those like IncogSkiSno, and cathy, plus others who are doing it shortly as its on my shortlist - perhaps for next season.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
docsquid, I think you're underestimating your progress as the week went on. I saw you ski a few times and thought you looked much more in control and fluid as the week went on, especially as you've had relatively little on-snow time compared to everyone else on that course. Knowing how anxious you were on Day One I think that's a considerable achievement. I think I disagree with your assessment of Phil Smith: although there's no doubt that his ski school caters for more experienced skiers, I don't think his threshold of interest is anywhere near as high as trainee instructor level. I think it's fair to say that the race training weeks are not typical of his regular in-season tuition as there is a relatively high proportion of pro-skiers and very proficient amateurs, with discussion and activities more geared to a higher performance level than normal.

PS: please say hello to Stephen for me; it was nice to ski with him during the week. Hope he's recovered from being bound up with a bungie cord Wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
docsquid, What can I say? Did Mr docsquid talk you into doing the course?

I skied at 3500m a couple of weeks ago in Les Deux Alpes. I like many folks were rather breathless after the walk up the funicular steps. The fact you stuck at it with a gammy leg and CF fills me with awe. Not all of Tignes is that high and I am positive you would feel much better below 2800m, so dont be afraid to return to the rest of that domain.

Well done on the course, but huge truck loads of respect for tackling it in the first place Very Happy snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
docsquid, well done. I agree with everything Frosty the Snowman, said. I would think hard before attended that level of skiing. Well done.

Come along to the ESoB although high you will find we dont work that hard and theres always a reason for a sit down with a beer or hot chocolate. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Without wishing to second guess any medical advice docsquid, may get going back to Tignes does not sound that sensible to me. If there was trouble carrying skis to the funicular at resort level it suggests that perhaps the lungs were working pretty hard at that level and even sleeping at that level might have contributed to her difficulties. It sounds like it is the equivalent of going an awful lot higher for the rest of us. You don't have to go to high altitudes to get good skiing.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I won't be doing any skiing in Tignes again - it is just too high.

Quote:

my lungs aren't up to the altitude.
Docsquid, we admire your sprit. It does take more than a few days for many to get used to the altitude, and with you starting with 30% less volume it takes longer to acclamize. Hang in there, just be there four or five days earlier.
Bob
latest report
That's an interesting thought Jean Claude Mogul, would docsquid be better off doing 10/14 day trips and acclimatise to the altitude over a longer period rather than the more traditional 7 day trip?
snow report
docsquid, HUGE respect to you for attempting the course in the first place, and double that for doing so well on it. I don't have any medical issues, (apart from being unfit and overweight!) and my last two days up the grande motte has been a real eye opener. My legs have felt like jelly and I've been kn@kered after a couple of easy runs. I saw the guys racing over the weekend and I wouldn't even consider trying to take part in anything so strenous. Well done again to you! Very Happy
latest report
hibernia wrote:
The All-Terrain course is one I am interested in. Cannot do it this year due to other skiing commitments at the times it is running. However, I would be very interested in reading the comments and experiences of those like IncogSkiSno, and cathy, plus others who are doing it shortly as its on my shortlist - perhaps for next season.

I'm sure we'll be reporting back telling you ALL about it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
FenlandSkier, That may be the case, but I should think that glacier levels would not be the best plan for her.

docsquid, I really take my hat off to you - WELL DONE. the point about altitude is well made. You may be fine at around 2,500m if you take the time to acclimatise. I keep banging on about this (summer skiing & PSB etc), but in your case I would have to suggest that your first thoughts are probably right. Glacier skiing is likely to be out of your reach. There are lots of places to ski that have good snow cover, low villages and top level of around 2,700m. Very Happy
ski holidays
A very inspiring tale docsquid and I'd say well done for getting the most out of the course in light of your medical history too!

I wouldn't give up on Tignes for recreational ski in future though - I assume you were up on the glacier which is certainly very high. In full season there is plenty of ski to be done at resort level (2100m) and even lower skiing if you go down to les Brevieres or les Boisses (about 1400m they are I think) or down to Val DIsere too (1800m)
snow report
Congratulations docsquid! Altitude affects everyone differently and there's no way of telling until you get up there. I wouldn't think there are that many people with CF even skiing, let alone battling and beating glacier altitudes. Maybe you didn't handle the altitude well, but it sounds like you handled the course admirably and from the POV of the improvement you've made, it doesn't sound like you were ill-advised to do the course per se.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the feedback folks! I would have replied to some last night, but the internet was on a go-slow.

FenlandSkier, we usually do 2 week trips, in fact, for this reason. I have been to A d'H and Courchevel 1850 for 2 weeks and it definitely makes a difference. Longer trips also mean that you don't feel you have to cram in every possible minute skiing, and so you can take it in a more relaxed fashion, and take it easy for the first few days.

easiski, I find I'm OK in Courchevel 1850 and can ski down from Saulire - that is, if I remember rightly, around 2800, but of course you don't stay that high for very long! I found the top at Alpe d'Huez a bit too high (3100), but then I was a beginner, and so my skiing was less efficient than it is now. Even in 1850, I do have problems carrying my skis up the steps to the bubble lifts, which is why I prefer chairlifts and drags, as you don't have to do any carrying!

Going to the Tignes glacier was a bit of a risk, but I had a lot of encouragement from Mr DS, and the instructors. It has certainly improved my skiing to attempt racing. I wouldn't give up on skiing in Tignes/Val d'Isere during the season on lower slopes, but a strenuous course on the glacier - no, probably not!

Lower altitude resorts are hard to find - obviously there are some in North America, but the last quote I had for medical insurance for one trip was £5000 (yes, really!), so this is out. I guess there are some lower altitude resorts in Norway/Sweden/Finland?

rob@rar, Stephen (Mr DS) says Hi. He found the bungee quite helpful and is talking about taking one to Courchevel in January for our next trip. Of course he hasn't told me what he's going to use it for wink My comments re Phil were made after overhearing a few remarks he made to another instructor about the beginner racer group (i.e. my group). Nevertheless, I think he is a very good and enthusiastic instructor and the courses he organises are really excellent. His DVD is also excellent and makes it all sound so simple (until you try and do it). I would do one of his performance courses again, just not the race training on the glacier!
latest report
Returning after a phone call! Nick_C, I'm always rather cautious about going skiing with other people/in a group for the reasons I described above - I tend to hold them up when going onto lifts, poling, traversing, skating and so forth. My skiing is now a reasonable speed, so that is less of an issue. That's why I've tended to go for private lessons and not group lessons - so I don't hold everybody else up.

Mr DS has suggested that we try skiing with some of the folks in the chalet in Courchevel when we go at the end of January to see how I get on free skiing with groups (when there is no instruction, so you don't get to stop a lot to talk on the way down a run). I s'pose by then it will be too late to book onto the EOSB. We'll see. I do like Val Thorens!
latest report
docsquid, last year peeps were booking (or in my case not booking Sad ) for the EoSB as late as a couple of weeks beforehand. I certainly won't know about it until prob mid March at the earliest
snow conditions
docsquid, I wouldn't dare book myself on race training....all power to you! There are plenty of low altitude resorts around Europe...you won't need to cross the pond! Just start a thread and you'll get a list as long as your arm! Snow conditions early/late season can be tricky but otherwise there are some very good ones round and about. Hope to meet you and Mr DS at the EoSB there's a button to click somewhere to sign up for info....
snow report
docsquid,

Well done..perserverance can be more than the half of it...

Just a note, if altitude is an issue. VT is 2300/2400 at resort level and going upto 3300 so take that into consideration. But if you feel comfortable there.....you'll have a blast, I'm sure
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy