Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another Newbie to the site

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Smile

I've been snowboarding for about 6 years and mountainboarding for 3 years. Absolutely love both.

Hopefully, I will be off somewhere snowy early next year and am now looking to buy my own gear. I've always rented boards in the resorts before and have been reading the very helpful advice on this site regarding board purchase. I've also looked on numerous board websites but my brain is now overloaded ! Confused

Can anyone recommend a particular board for my needs:

Female
Height: 5' 4"
Weight: 8.5 stone
I can and do ride switch so need a twin tip board. I don't ride the parks or rails - just the piste.

Any help would be much appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Dobz, and welcome to snowHeads. Sorry I can't help you with any answers to your questions but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to snowHeads Dobz snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My good lady has just got a Nitro Fate board 153cm. She's about the same stats as you at about 9 stone and 5'6". Board is bigger( from her normal 148 ) as she is going longer for a lot more freeriding with a bit of freestyle.We hope to get in loads of backcountry with a guide.
Can't tell you what the board is like as i have size 12s!
She found it ok at Cas' but the real test comes next month on the mountain.
I think it was around $200. I ride a K2 illusion wide, they do a ladies version,great board.

welcome to snowHead snowHead

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 19-11-06 14:10; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dobz, .....welcome to snowHeads ... snowHead

.......I am sure you will find a few amigos
here

....... snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dobz, Hi and welcome to the pond. There aren't that many alpine board riders here, or boards for that matter. If you're not going to bleed in the park then any middle range board will suit you and you don't need a girlie specific plank.
<off topic ramble> Why is there so much bollux about boards for men and women? Women are just as strong as most lads these days, often have better agility, usually fitter and have more muscle mass than their mothers . . . and if anyone's going to buy a board just on the basis of pretty graphics . . . the sooner they try to huck a 300 foot cliff the better </off topic ramble>
I had a play on a Elan, Prodigy 154cm at Castleford that would very likely suit you. It is a symmetrical twin tip and at that length will take you into the trees too. It didn't chatter in the crud so I'll assume it's got a decent wood core.
Elan has a good rep for making tough and fun skis and I'll be shelling out for the monster 'El Grande' this winter to keep my lardy butt above the rocks in the powder.

I think Admin has some sort of Devil's deal with an Elan rep. It may be worth while dropping him a PM for more info.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hels_t, do you have to put Whistler in Location. Have some sensitivity for the rest of us, working for a living.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi All

Thanks for the welcome and board advice - very much appreciated.

PaulM - I've been looking at the Nitro boards. Like your good lady, I think I would prefer a slightly longer board for my height. As I won't be leaping like a loony in the parks, I think a longer board would give an easier ride - although someone correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Masque - totally agree with you about the womens/mens board thing. It doesn't cut no ice in the mountain boarding world as I don't think you can actually buy a womans mountain board! I've not looked at any of the Elan boards will have a look on Bargainboards.

Think a trip to Castleford is on the cards soon Very Happy

hels_t - any jobs going in Whistler?? wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dobz,

Flex is more important that length although the diff between a 151 and a 161 is obviously noticable. The softer the flex the easier the ride. The catch is less stability at speed. If your a pister with the odd visit to powder for your height and weight a 154/155/156 would suit.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, Your off topic ramble is pretty correct IMHO, a girls board *may* be of advantage to a beginner if she is particulary small, however, once past this any general board will give a decent ride. As for colours I'm not a huge fan of crazy decoration, my board is white with very dark eggshell writing, most of the time it's covered in powder anyway.

Dobz, most things people have said seem about right but the best thing you can do is try a few out, you've got a fair bit of experience behind you now (much more than me when I got my board I must add) so see what feels right, is there any set up you've had in the past you particulary liked or hated? Any good shop will let you hire a board to test it and even change a few through the day and will knock the rental price off if you then buy. What you need to remember is it's you riding the board so the board must feel right for you, not anyone else!

and welcom to snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Philip and Swirly,

Thanks for your welcome and advice.

I really need to try a variety of boards to get one with the right flex, length and weight.

Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Welcome Dobz,
Check out this months edition of Whitelines snowbard mag. They have a review of about 20/25 ladies boards in there....or as they call them "chick sticks"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with the guys above about there being no real difference bettween guys/gals boards apart from aesthetics. That was my wifes only decision maker as she is really girlie.
Trouble is ,she is annoyingly quick and can turn on a dime on her tiny chick stick Toofy Grin (yes i am still talking about her board...oooer missus) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulm, maybe we should wait for what she has to say about your tiny 'chick stick' wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque,

It can fill a pram Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy