Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rate my Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I saw another post where a brave soul put up a video for other snowHead's to critique. All comments gladly received

http://youtube.com/v/97xDFEgOWGo

It was a red gradient and i was on tired legs so be brutal or gentle as you see fit.

PS my 12 year old is here
http://youtube.com/v/_lB4nTBmsjc
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
scottp, No disgrace in not being as good as your kids wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, ouch wink but fair comment, her short turns need some work
http://youtube.com/v/bnwaO3KtoOU but not bad for 8 weeks on snow huh...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 28-11-06 11:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
scottp, as you are both way better than me I feel unable to comment !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scottp there's some nice skiing here and you should be well chuffed - you're in control, turning when and where you want to and you're stonking down that red...

...so much so that it's a bit difficult to see much of you wink

You're clearly doing better than the bloke following you!

...but not as well as you're daughter - who could well teach me something.

Anyway, this frame say it all...

You're in the back seat and, I think, you also have your arms a little low - which will won't be helping you get forwards. Lifting your hands a bit is one of many things that can help you get your weight forwards onto those shins.

You can see both these points from this angle...

You also look a little tense / static - were you deliberately trying to keep your upper body quiet? If so, then you were probably overdoing it a little.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks PhillipStanton for the commments and thanks for your PM. Yup you are bang on, i used to be very bouncy with my skiing on steeper sections and have been trying to calm everything down. I was probably trying too hard to keep my back straight as i tend to waist break.

I can now see i was indeed sitting back and a bit tentative after a long day with tired legs. best time to critique ones skiing though.....

Never quite sure with hand postions as i find that a lot of people are too wide with poles and end up leaning into turns instead of angulating losing control on stepper pitches. But you are quite right.. my hands should be much higher coming into the next turn and that posterior is way too back.

How did you manage to get the freeze frames from the youtube video??? that made all the difference in your critique and i would love to know how you managed it.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
scottp wrote:
thanks PhillipStanton

How did you manage to get the freeze frames from the youtube video??? that made all the difference in your critique and i would love to know how you managed it.

No problem - I hope it helps.

The way to grab out of YouTube is really painful:

- play the clip
- press pause (not very accurate, so you have to repeat!)
- press Prnt Scrn on the keyboard to copy onto the clipboard
- open Paint - paste in the image
- select the area you want and copy onto the clipboard
- File / New - ignore changes
- paste from the clipboard
- save as a JPG
- upload to snowMedia Zone

...and repeat!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow, you are definately a dedicated snowHead going through all that hassle to help someone out.....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PhillipStanton, obvious when you think about it (and I hadn't rolling eyes) - like a lot of the best things, simple but brilliant! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
scott,

nice smooth turns

I've skied combe de saulire more than is probably healthy so I also know that in those snow conditions it can be quite flattering!

I had a spell when I was tending to push my chest forward with a stiff back thinking this was getting my CM forward. Looks like you are doing this. It tends to result in your bum pushing backwards in reaction. I found that instead of pushing my chest forward if I "round" my shoulders or roll them forward then this allows my hips to stay forward and prevents my backside pushing back. THink shoulders forward not breast bone forward. THink this also tends to bring elbows forward without dropping them.

Make any sense?

J
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jedster, yeah, it was nice snow and we werent really trying to do a technique video, just grabbing some shots for a missing mum....

if memory serves me i think i was trying to have a straight back and getting my "thighs higher" as i tend to sit in turns. I used to hunch over and break at the waist quite a bit and not unweight the skis at the end of the turn. the instructor i had mentioned reaching or pointing the pole plant hand to initiate the turn and trying to stay more upright..

I like the sound of shoulders forward as opposed to breat bone... good tip and i think you are right that it will bring my elbows forward.

I heard a really good ESF guy tell my daughter to the same rounded shoulder by trying to be like "king kong" in the movie which is similar to what you are saying.

thanks again for the tip i am out next week and will give it a whirl.....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
king kong - exactly
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy