Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to stop dropping/dragging a hand?

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any tips to prevent my dropping/dragging my hand?

My worst fault is that after a pole plant, I tend to let my hand get dragged back and low as my whole body moves forward.

I'm pretty sure my plant is ok, it's "post" plant that I have a problem,

Some pics....

cheers.

greg
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski - frankly it's looking good to me - dropped hand(s) or not.

The usual advice is *:

- think of the pole plant as being a wrist action, rather than an arm action - your arm(s) should stay out in front of you (and (reasonably) static) and the pole plant should be "lift the hand at the wrist" to extend the pole; plant and then...

- "punch" through the pole plant - so as the pole goes vertical you actively punch that hand forward which will...

- ...keep both hands within your vision.

Personally, I'd be pretty pleased with all of those pictures - you look to be having a ball snowHead

BTW - from the sample of photos, I'd also recommend turning left... wink

(* Case of do as I say, rather than do as I do here...)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers Phillip,

Yeh they are nice pics, but the hand is taking me off balance, which is ok in nice snow, not so good in trickier conditions, hence I want to work on it!

I like the idea of punching will try and remember that one Smile

regards,

Greg
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski, as you go in to the turn push your hand down. I do exactly the same thing. It's more a conentration than an ability problem. I'm too lazy.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski gave me a drill for this last year, which involved punching forward after my pole plant, which seemed to help the problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski,
Quote:
as my whole body moves forward

Can't really say from the stills, especially with that pack on; how much too and from bending from the hips (chin along ski) do you think you do?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Probably tougher to do in fresh snow, but my coaches have me dragging the tip of the old inside pole in the snow after the touch. I can't do that and drop my hand, of course. Something to think about.

I find the punch works, too, especially in the bumps. nolo coached her crew in bumps to think of the bumps as trolls. Stab the trolls with your pole, then punch 'em as they wake up. Stab-punch, stab-punch. Seems to work for a lot of folks. I coached a few in my group on Wednesday to do this, and it improved their pole and hand use in the bumps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, Yorkshire is renowned for its knuckledragers wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oooh I do this too, I am hoping I shall get it sorted out next week on the Snoworks course, I don't look anywhere near as good as kitenski though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex wrote:
kitenski,
Quote:
as my whole body moves forward

Can't really say from the stills, especially with that pack on; how much too and from bending from the hips (chin along ski) do you think you do?

not a lot I think....I do have some video which maybe shows it a bit better, here:

http://gregh.co.uk/divx/gregski.divx

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, in the lessons we had this year we were all doing the arm drop thing. we were told to plant using principally the wrist and keep the upper arm relatively quiet. Plant by pointing point the pole ahead using your wrist and as you ski past the pole, the wrist rotates down and through rather than swinging the whole arm. If you need more power in a plant the lower arm is used more but the upper arm should not be working much.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, IMHO, and I'm no instructor, you are somewhat asymmetric - your right arm wants to live in your right pocket and your left arm is doing a fabulous job of gate opening.

I think the most important thing is that you at least recognise the first problem. IIRC, and it's been a while since anyone told me, you want your ams to be relatively quiet, pole planting is a wrist flicking exercise (except in bumps, if it's really steep or you're racing, etc.). So your arms shouldn't need to be moving around a great deal at all.

Unlike what they're doing...

Maybe just focus on thinking about where your hands are - try and keep them roughly as you would if you were driving a car with a large steering wheel.

I think just being conscious of where they are and where they should be will help.

Hopefully someone suitably qualified will be along with a helpful exercise soon!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kitenski,
I have seen this lots of times, one idea that seems to work is to imagine you are reading the Sunday Times (or any other broardsheet) ie. both hands in front and reasonably high and wide, don't let your hands get out of your line of sight. The CSIA teaches dragging a tip on piste but not so easy off P.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chill - the basics are their and good. You probally do this on piste but the pow exagerates it. It also looks like you have enought tips to last you a life time.

Turns are more Z than S -
I however find that deep powder requires an adaptation of your basic skill - try rolling you wrist around with your poles more lateral. I find that you then can keep you body open to the mountain and your feet turning (passively/smoothly).

Sometimes when you try and plant ias far forward as you last pic the deep stuff you can fold at the waist. Just touch the snow (the pole will drop through it anway) as you ski down the fall line just keep you hands in teh vision window of your goggles.

Also if you want to look a real geek - put a rubber across both pole grips and keep it taught. Go up and down a blue run concentrating on wrist only pole planting, slowly flatten you skis - dont try and carve, you just want to pivot (as you kinda in the pow).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

a real geek - put a rubber across both pole grips and keep it taught

Shocked
snow report
tailskidder wrote:
Also if you want to look a real geek - put a rubber across both pole grips and keep it taught.

Isn't that more inclined to make you look like a real gimp????? Shocked
snow report
I think keeping getting taught will help to erradicate a lot of bad habits. snowHead
ski holidays
When I was a kid it was all about a tray of drinks... six g'n'ts should just about sort you out... well, at least you'll not care where your hands are, just getting up will be enough... Wink
ski holidays
parlor, I find that tends to get the hands too high, the elbows up, and the arms pretty much out from the shoulders instead of in a more relaxed "ready" position. I don't often use that drill for that reason...
snow report
kitenski, Just get caught stealing in Nigeria Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy