Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter tyres, M+S Tyres, Chains, what does one do?

Poster: A snowHead
Boris, your wheels are the same size as mine IIRC. I understand that providing you have light duty (9mm? I have no idea what this is a measure of) chains you should be OK but avoid full lock if you can (not always easy on mountain roads). I understand that the problem might be fouling of the suspension strut, but with a bit of luck there'll be adequate clearance. i'd be interested to know how the test run goes.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DB, love those trucks. Do they arrive with Bose sound system? - and minus the dent some toe-rag stuck into the Nissan overnight? It's only a month old FFS!

JT, oh yes, I hope I will.

I think my confusion is cleared up, thanks all - maybe we need a sticky (or a wiki entry) on winter driving requirements in the various countries.

CANV CANVINGTON, hmmm, "it's low" (Chamonix). Two sets of chums have independently taken (different years) >24 hours to go Calais to Haute Savoie, chains all the way, at times in convoy because of the blizzards. In one case anyway the severe weather was NOT forecast (and they were in a 4x4 without snowtyres (it was early December) - as they didn't expect to need them until they'd arrived in the Alps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
richmond, 9mm clearance seems to be what the various compaines I have spoken to have said. With old pair, they really do hug the tyre closely so think the chances of fouling are rare - but will let you know on test run!

In the last 7 trips I have only ever had to use chains once for any distance, that was last year driving down from Vallandry to main road very early to beat the rush. Previously was for less than 1/2 mile to get that bit closer to chalet!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David Murdoch, valid.. but lets face it.. if the road to chamonix is shut to all vehicles without chains , the chances of me just getting to the front of the Q are remote.. i'll just spend the night in Geneva .. i've no intrest in a broken snow chain getting wrapped round my probably very expensive back brakes.. i know some aussies (yes the shame of it) who worked 2 or 3 seasons in chamonix driving 4 wheel drive vans with snow tyres and they only ever used chains twice
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CANV CANVINGTON, you may have misunderstood. The drove every km from Calais to the Alpes in blizzards, over 24hrs and in convoy. A nightmare.

But you're probably right all the same. I think in 3 whole seasons I used chains, err, twice - snow tyres were fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, yup.. hands up, totally guilty of speed reading and paying no attention! Sad
if the weather is that bad i think il stay in bed!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, must have been very unlucky - I've driven Calais to 3V twice when there has been snow lying on ground all the way, but roads were cleared at a rate which puts the UK to shame - i.e. when Kent stopped for 2 days due to a few inches.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris wrote:
DB, Wheels are 215/55 R16 - as we take one trip a year to the Alps I'm trying to avoid the purchase of Winter Tyres if I can get snowchains to fit. Appreciate they are invaluable if living in mountains or regular visitor, but for yearly run to Alps would only ever be needed once turned of motorway for last 10 miles.

Your chains / spyder spikes need to fit those 215/55 wheels then. If you get no joy from the UK send me a PM with any questions and I can ask a VW garage and the snow chain suppliers/manufacturers here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
richmond,
Quote:

i'd be interested to know how the test run goes.

Well arrived last week and fitted them Sat AM. Went on easily enough and self tightened as promised! Drove a few meters to check - all seemed ok, got my wife to drive while I watched very closely and no fouling at any point.

You do need to make sure that the join is flat to tyre wall, as this is tight to say the least.

UNfortunately it doesn't look as if I'll be needing them next week Sad
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks, Boris, and good luck.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks, Boris, and good luck. Did you check it on full lock?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richmond, Yes, I got my wife to drive backwards at full lock - this a) was a good test but b) was the easiest way to see under the car and past wheel to check it didn't foul. Was only a few mm clearance, but clear the suspension strut, brake lines etc they did

I got them from snowchains.co.uk and the guy their was confident they would be fine as they sell "lots" for SHaran/Galaxy/Ahlambra
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think there is a packing order for the skiers driving to the skiing slopes. Perhaps the best way to describe it is everybody will lose traction (wheel spinning) at the end when the weather gets bad enough. Even one says he/she has the best equipment and can go anywhere the roads may be closed down by the authority because the majority of the drivers can't use them.

Those daring skiers driving with hard summer types, which can clock up high mileage and hence economical, on Two Wheel Drive (2WD) in winter are expect to hit trouble first. 4x4 drivers will not be much better on a wrong set of tyres and may see 2WD cars outperforming them on just winter tyres.

The 4x4 cars also have AWD (all wheel drive), part time 4x4 which drives on two wheel most of the time and must lock up the differential in 4x4 mode, soft 4x4 which is another name for AWD but looks the real thing (with high ground clearence etc), sophisticated 4x4 which has low range gears and lockable differentials and army type 4x4 which can have all 3 differential locked. When a differential is locked the two axles or wheels must travel at the same speed and that means difficulty steering. It is good to get out of a trouble area mainly. Almost no manufacturer woiuld offer locked differential to the steering axle because in the wrong hand the vehicle can be lethal.

The chains come in their own if the snow is deep and the tread pattern or its depth no long matters.

If the depth of the snow is deep enough then it can start to carry some of the vehicle weight and so a normal car can "float" on the snow making 2WD, AWD and 4x4 irrelevant.

A large vehicle, with high ground clearnce, 4x4 ability and also equipped with snow chains is possibly the last one to get stuck after other vehicles have been grounded.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, for your own comfort, convenience and joy get some proper winter tires. You'd be stupid not to.

Try your local Ottos for a pretty good deal:

http://www.ottos.ch/index.php?nav=154,493&lang=fr
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
parlor, I ended up buying directly from Nissan - some Dunlop SJ6s - which are a bit noisier than the all season ones but make me feel better. No-one else (Speedy, Roady. etc.) could source the size I need. And the palaver of getting new different sized wheel/tyre combo just didn't appeal.
ski holidays
If you have a car whereby the Manufacturer says you can't fit chains because of clearance problems, try www.snowchains.co.uk I have a renault Vel Satis with 245/45R18 tyres, The Handbook says you can't fit chains, they made up some low profile Weisenfell "clack and go" self tensioning chains for me. I used them every day for 2 weeks in Les Gets, March 06. No problems at all. Also if you change cars they will exchange them for you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy