Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Vaujany - anyone on here been?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi I'm a first timer on here so treat me gently.....

I have booked to take my wife and 7 year old son to go to Vaujany 6-13 of January. I was wondering if anyone on here had been or stayed there and what their impressions of the area are. Any recommendations for places to go or avoid as the case may be. Any advice or tips would be gratefully received. Cheers.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-11-06 21:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads.

Can't say I've been to Vaujany - but a quick archive search here has produced the following threads
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Armitageblue, Vaujany is the pretty part of the Alpe d'Huez ski area. It should be fine in January, and there's access to the whole ADH area. No doubt Arno will be along in a minute to extoll it's virtues as it's his favourite haunt. Very Happy

welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We were in Oz last year - another satellite of ADH. The skiing around Vaujany is lovely - perfectly suited to beginners and beginnerish. Good access to the rest of ADH via a huge telecabine. Really nice character mountain restaurant 'Les Oreilles' I think - will think about it a bit more and maybe post when I've had slightly less red wine!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As easiski suggests, I am a big fan of Vaujany. It's a nice attractive village and the links into the skiing area are very good. You do have to take a lift to get back to the town at the end of the day but that doesn't really bother me. Les Orelles is a good recommendation. Also, the swimming pool is worth a visit. Nice sauna and jacuzzi for the adults and some good slides for the kids
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Vaujany is a pretty old farming town. Linked to ADH via a giant tram. Quiet nitelife. Good ski area. It is a bit low, but plenty of snowguns if needed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for all the info and will take it on board.

Sounds ideal for us, I've already started praying for snow(assume I'm not on my own there).

Cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I went to ADH and skied down to V, it's a lovely quiet area compared with the main resort, it also has some nice tree lined runs. Pretty easy to link to the rest of the slopes too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some of my favorite skiing in ADH is down to Vaujany, don't forget your cossies as the sports centre has some great jacuzzis with amazing views!! Les Aurelles as Arno mentioned is also one if the nicest restuarants on the mountain, ask if George the waiter is there and mention my name - he should magic up one of their special homemade raspberry vokas which you might need around about midday! If you do fall in love with the place there is a brand new development in the pipeline planned so the property in Vaujany will once more be available to buy!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seems to be some disagreement as to how to spell that restaurant Laughing I reckon Sarah's probably right though - she's the local

Anyway, sarah@alpedhuez, are those appartments at Vaujany the ones featured on the immo-oisans website? I can never work out whether that site ever updates. Some of the "new" developments have been on there for about 3 years!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno, mmm, think it is Aurelles but def could be wrong.

Not sure about the immo-oisans website - I know that it a new property developer, the plans have been approved and the first phase is due to complete for the season 07/08. There are 30 odd apartments and 7 chalets being built in a fabby dassy location right next to the big cable car right in the middle of the resort. I do have the plans actually!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Would Vaujany be a sensible place to base oneself for a late (April) ski hol in LDA area?
snow report
 brian
brian
richmond, no, cos it's in the ADH ski area !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
brian, obviously, when I said LDA Imeant ADH. I wondered if anyone would spot that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richmond, it would take probably 30-40mins drive to get from Vaujany to LDA so if you're set on LDA, probably not. Have a look at Venosc for what seems to be LDA's answer to Vaujany (ie cute village with links to a big ski domain). Don't think the link is quite as convenient as Vaujany's - from memory, you get a lift up to one end of LDA town, then have to walk a bit to a lift to actually take you into the ski domain.

Vaujany in April is very nice in many ways. It is south facing so it's nice and sunny when you're sitting around having apres ski. However, the lift takes you into the most north facing bit of the ADH terrain so the snow stays pretty well. It is also very quiet by then if you avoid Easter. It may even be quiet at Easter but I haven't visited at that time. I've had some fantastic days skiing in April in this area - short sharp dumps of snow followed by sunny, long days. Perfect snowHead
snow conditions
ahhh - you can ignore the first paragraph then /\/\/\
ski holidays
Arno, thanks, yes, bit of a slip. My only visit to LDA was to the Venosc end. The lift down to Venosc was convenient for our chalet, but not ideal for skiing. Sounds as if Vaujany might be a good spot for a couple of days skiing, a bit of light pottering, walking and so on in April.
snow report
I've skied dwon to vaujany or as near as you can on the black piste at the far end of the domain. The runs in the Vaujany ski domain are probably some of the most scenic in the domain. Fantastic cable car in Vaujany
snow conditions
Thanks again guys for your comments, we really appreciate it. Just come back from the Snowdome practising for Vaujany but from the sounds of it we will spend most of our time in a certain mountain restaurant drinking raspberry vodkas or in the sports centre jacuzzi, lol!

Cheers
snow report
Armitageblue, you will have a great time in Vaujany. I was there for christmas a few year's back. Good queueless access into the Alp d'Huez area. Excellent choice.
snow report
The cable car at Vaujanay has a rather sad history.

Vaujanay I understand was a rather poor village. In the 1980's the inhabitants agreed that a dam be built below the village and in return for allowing that to happen, struck a deal by which they would receive significant investment in skiing infrastructure. Up until then I am not even sure if Vaujanay was linked to Alpe d'Huez.

It was about ten years ago when I was there and the investment was such that the cable car constructed had a capacity (150?) probably larger than the village needed unless it has grown significantly.

Tragedy occurred when during testing in 1989, the cable car dropped off the wire into the valley below killing the eight occupants. The graves are in the valley floor, directly below the cable, I believe at the spot where the cable car struck the ground. I don't know the explanation but it was certainly a state of the art cable car at the time and there was no obvious reason.

I'm not trying to scare anyone off as I am sure the cable car is now as safe as any. I just thought that anyone going there might just like to be aware of the history.
snow conditions
richjp, I believe that one of the people killed was the mayor who arranged the compensation for the dam and the building of the cable car. a very sad story, as you say
latest report
Its a big, very modern lift. I think that might be a very good place to be based. Good [url=http://www.alpedhuez.net/media/alpe-d'huez-piste-map.pdf] piste map here [/url]. There is, by the way, a huge off-piste possibility starting at the Pic Blanc and keeping right, cutting to the right just below the tunnel - a bit of poling then all the way along above all the other skiing till you get to the valley which leads to Vaujanay. (The other really big one continues along the ridge from the Pic Blanc keeping to the left (far right on the map) left of all the pistes, till you get on the long valley you can see returning to the pistes at the bottom. There are several variants.)
ski holidays
snowball, that area to the left (as you look at the map) of the Dome des Rousses above the Vaujany/Montfrais ski area is riddled with couloirs and interesting lines through. Definitely somewhere to get shown around by a local!
snow report
Armitageblue wrote:
Hi I'm a first timer on here so treat me gently.....

I have booked to take my wife and 7 year old son to go to Vaujany 6-13 of January. I was wondering if anyone on here had been or stayed there and what their impressions of the area are. Any recommendations for places to go or avoid as the case may be. Any advice or tips would be gratefully received. Cheers.

Hi there, my first post so hopefully I done it right!! Razz
We too are going to Vaujany for the first time at Christmas,i do know someone thats been and loved it, perfect for families as the queues are virtually non existant, not much night life though so no good for young groups!!
I am just worrying ther e won't be enough snow???? anyone got any views??? Puzzled
snow report
feefee, it's looking like there should be quite a bit falling between now and Christmas although it's not clear how low it will go to
latest report
feefee, Snowing over there today in ADH although its been raining lower down for the last 16 hours apparently. My on the spot contact reports ADH are claiming 7 runs are open! Heavy snow predicted for Wednesday, hopefully the freeze level will drop.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
feefee - my first post too! we are also going to Vaujany for the first time at Christmas - do you have children travelling with you, if so do they need lessons and have you arranged them yet? They are aged 10 and 8 and have both skied one week (last year, La Rosiere, can get down blue runs) Am a bit anxious about ensuring they get a good English speaking instructor. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gamekeeper, ESF in Vaujany are excellent for kids, I would e-mail them asap, not sure how busy they will be at Christmas. http://www.esf-vaujany.com/
ski holidays
If you want private lessons, it might be worth looking into this lot who I think are new:

http://www.vo-coaching.com/

Barbara used to be part of Masterclass, a British ski school in Alpe d'Huez, and she's very nice and speaks good English
snow conditions
gamekeeper - Very Happy yes 3 children 6, 12,16 we are going with friends with children aged 13 and 16. We have booked a 2 private instructors for sunday 24th for us bigger peeps, and Tom is booked into ski-school. i done it all via email with esf, they were very helpful and from what I have heard should be good!! xmas day we plan to do our own thing, then see how we go for the rest of the week, although I am hoping Tom will stay in ski school for the rest of the week. We too have only skied once in April in Kaprun, it was fantastic!! The other link from Arno, I think I emailed Barbara a while back but didn't get a response? maybe we will see you there?? Are you driving or flying? Puzzled
ski holidays
feefee - we are flying out early on 24 december, to Grenoble. if all goes to plan and our transfer meets us at the airport we should be in Vaujany late morning, in time to ski in the afternoon (praying for some snow). Have been in touch with ESF and hope to get children sorted for morning lessons all week, though they may miss the first days lesson. Not sure if we will take any lessons (poss just one private one for the two of us to get us going)
snow report
gamekeeper- we driving there on 22nd! I keep looking at forecasts but my frequently skiing friends insist it is still early and not to worry!! the cable car takes us straight up to ADH anyway so should be snow there, lets hope its as good as we expect!
snow conditions
feefee, gamekeeper, I'm driving over there on 22nd Dec. Staying in Oz across the valley from Vaujany. There will be snow!
snow report
Nick Dawes - I'm sure there will !! have you been there before? just bought an in car dvd to keep the kids amused on the long journey! Little Angel
latest report
feefee, I've been many times, liked it so much we bought an apartment in Oz last year! Vaujany is a great little place, excellent uplift to ADH with rarely a queue in sight however very quiet at night. Its a straightforward drive, normally takes us 9 hours ish from Calais with fuel stops only & kids strapped in front of dvd's!.
latest report
gamekeeper, I'm having a blank on his name but a girl I work with speaks really fluent English (met him several times after he spent 4 years living in London), he works with the ESF and if you are interested I'll jiggle my memory to find his name to allow you to book him.
snow conditions
Sarah, that might be useful, if it does come back to you, please let me know. Thanks.
ski holidays
Armitageblue, snowHead Hi there, we've just returned from a week in Vaujany, we all had a great time even though the snow was disappointing, not all the runs were open but there was enough to keep us amused! My 6 year old done ski school with esf every day and they were brilliant, he was lucky enough to have other english boys the same age in his group and thoroughly enjoyed it (and passed his 1*) we had private tuition for 2 mornings with Pierrot and Guilliam also from esf, it was worth it as the pistes were very icy, different from the last time we skied. We skied down to Oz which was nice along a red run which seemed nicer in the conditions than the blues. We also bumped into fellow snowhead gamekeeper, snowHead hope you all had a good time?
The village itself is very quiet, I advise you take as much as you can with you as the shop isn't that great and gets very busy. We ate out and definately recommend a very small restaurant, (can't remember its name) but go up to the top of the escalators up the last stairs, turn left into the square the restaurant is next to the cheese shop! We ate in the bigger one just along from there too, and another right at the bottom, the people were very friendly, we hired our equipment from atou ski, got 20% discount and was able to leave our skis there overnight. The equipment hire varied in price so shop around.
The cable car goes regularly and is very quick up to the Alpette, or you can take the little eggs up to Montfrais, there is much snow forecast this week so I expect you will have much more available to you than we did! The mountain restaurants near the Montfrais are great for lunch or a drink and I can recommend the Vin Chaud!! lovely......
have fun! Very Happy
ski holidays
Armitageblue, Hi there, we've just returned from a week in Vaujany, we all had a great time even though the snow was disappointing, not all the runs were open but there was enough to keep us amused! My 6 year old done ski school with esf every day and they were brilliant, he was lucky enough to have other english boys the same age in his group and thoroughly enjoyed it (and passed his 1*) we had private tuition for 2 mornings with Pierrot and Guilliam also from esf, it was worth it as the pistes were very icy, different from the last time we skied. We skied down to Oz which was nice along a red run which seemed nicer in the conditions than the blues. We also bumped into fellow snowhead gamekeeper, hope you all had a good time?
The village itself is very quiet, I advise you take as much as you can with you as the shop isn't that great and gets very busy. We ate out and definately recommend a very small restaurant, (can't remember its name) but go up to the top of the escalators up the last stairs, turn left into the square the restaurant is next to the cheese shop! We ate in the bigger one just along from there too, and another right at the bottom, the people were very friendly, we hired our equipment from atou ski, got 20% discount and was able to leave our skis there overnight. The equipment hire varied in price so shop around.
The cable car goes regularly and is very quick up to the Alpette, or you can take the little eggs up to Montfrais, there is much snow forecast this week so I expect you will have much more available to you than we did! The mountain restaurants near the Montfrais are great for lunch or a drink and I can recommend the Vin Chaud!! lovely......
have fun!

Thanks feefee for your comments, they are appreciated and helpful. Sorry that you did not get any snow but it sounds like it didn't spoil things for you too much.

When you say you had morning lessons is that 2 or 3 hrs and how much did they cost? Are you a better skier for having them?

Luckily (I hope) we are staying in a catered chalet so will just need a pizza or something for lunch up the mountain somewhere with a couple of vin chaud of course! Not expecting a lot in the way of amenities in the village, that was one of the things that attracted me to Vaujany along with the gondola. Did you go to Pic Blanc? Any must do runs (my wife likes the pretty ones).

Thanks again.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy