Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 'cinch' bindings

Poster: A snowHead
Okay... I know it's still August... but I'm starting to get that feeling in me tummy again... I've started looking at the new gear for this season.

Guess no one will have had a chance but... any opinions on K2 'cinch' bindings?

http://www.proctorjones.com/pjonline/dept.asp?s_id=0&dept_id=7878

I think they're new for this season (please correct me if wrong) Basically seem to be the same principle as flows but with straps. The highback folds down and slip your foot in.

I liked the idea of easy on/easy off flows but have always thought that straps give more response.

Don't spose any snowdomers have seen these for demo?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go with FLOWS Laughing !!!!! No lack in response - well not that i've experienced anyway. NehNeh

Not tried them but look ok, may be even better if they had to toe cap strap that others seem to be bringing out this/last season??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What they have done is taken a strap binding and copied the flow mechanism where the highback is unclipped and dropped back allowing "slip in" entry.

Suppose it gives the fans of strap bindings quicker access whilst keeping the feel they claim is lost with flows.

Osh, quite a few sites have the 2005 range up already -

http://www.optionsnowboards.com

http://www.simsnow.com

http://www.ridesnowboards.com
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oisin Osh Kelly wrote:
... any opinions on K2 'cinch' bindings?

but the whole point about Flows is not their easy "on/off-ness", it is the feel of the things and the fact that you have really comfy feet all day and so can ride as hard as you like even at the end of the 7th day. They have plenty of response for me.

I guess these could appeal to those that like to tweak their bindings constantly, but then what's the advantage over the vast choice of normal strap bindings?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
seems like there are quite a few fans of Flows here then Shocked Shocked ..............that's a tad surprising for a snowboarding forum as most love to slate them - probably without ever trying Wink NehNeh
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We had a few discussions on the old SCGB site about this - I tried them to cure constant ankle pain and toe cramps in my right foot with what I put down as uneven pressure from my strap bindings.

I tried flows and problem was solved. Plus I think they are more responsive for freeriding which I think is where flow bindings excel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Philip Prior, normally you see the sort of responses saying flows are gay and all the other rubbish. So far I've tried most other types in my short relationship dark side, all been good but for comfort and repsonse and ease of use, Flows win hands down - i converted earlier this year and have used them for 14 days so far and i love them snowHead

ps I don't ride a Burton though Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think there is a "fashion" issue going on with some of the teenage and early twentysomething boarders that think they don't look cool and a bit like a pair of slippers. But I don't care what they look like ( I think they look OK personally). I don't spend too much time in the park anyway.

Whatever their positives, straps IMHO are a real pain to in the A to reset after every lift. Flows certainly impress skiers if you are riding with them as they do not have to twiddle their thumbs as you twiddle your bindings.

I have even mastered now clicking in on the run before hitting the piste....luverly.

Like I say....freeriders weapon of choice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For those who want to know more.............

http://www.flow.com
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ouch... Looks like I have upset you flow dudes Laughing

I have no opinions either way on flows. I rode with a guy last christmas in Pas who was using flows. They look pretty cool to me, but then again I'm neither teenage nor a twenty something... more to my shame, and i was impressed with the on/off speed. I have though read arguments regarding responsivness against strap technology but thats not to say that there is an issue. just somethinig I am aware of.

I use straps, I like them, but do towards the end of a day find it a pain in the butt when your tired having to sit down, strap in, and pull yourself up. I quite fancy giving flows a go, but have hadn't had a chance... I can't afford to fork out to find i don't like them.. i probably won't.. but theres always a chance. And getting to a snowdome is a real pain for me to try and demo some. Hey I work in IT and am slow to embrace change Shocked

I really like the idea of the toe cap on straps.. think these K2 cinch bindings could be improved by these. You can buy the toe cap seperatley and attach yourself, right? but only burton do these? I wouldn't defile my self or my equipment by having anything made by Burton on them Laughing Laughing

Seriously though.. didn't really mean this to be a flowe versus straps discussion.. just thought .. that's a good idea.. wondered if anybody had heard anything or even tried them yet. As with all new ideas theres bound to be a few teething problems along the way. I heard that with flows initially there were a few glithces.

Any advancement made in equipment is worthy of discussion...right? You bunch of flow wearing freaks Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oisin Osh Kelly, good to have discussion!

yeah burton do the cap strap a seperate, i assume it can fit most other types of binding...............but being burton they probably wont and you'll need some sort of fiddly adapter plate! rolling eyes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Apparently they will fit the C16, C14, CFX, Mission, Custom, Lexa, Syncro, Ray and Freestyle Bindings.

www.subvertboardstore.com will have them and they're £25 from Urban Legends.

Think we'll have to wait and see how they'll fit non-burton bindings..
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I currently use straps but if I was going to buy some flows which model(s) are recommended here?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stephen bleakley, what sort of riding do you do? how hard core and stiff would you want them to be? any budget?

I have the old FL-11s which are great for general freeriding. They have been replaced now by a very nice looking upgraded model but i cannot remember its name. About £130.

For sheer bling factor and the ultimate in stiffness (and therefore pain), there are always the carbon ones.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Board4Life wrote:
Apparently they will fit the C16, C14, CFX, Mission, Custom, Lexa, Syncro, Ray and Freestyle Bindings.

How about P1-HD bindings? I quite fancy trying them out as the reports on them seem pretty good.
ski holidays
Tony,

General all mountain stuff.
A few natural jumps etc. Also like riding fast.

I used the flow bindings selector on their website for the 03/04 season and it recommended the PRO S FR.

Budget is not really an issue.
latest report
Stephen bleakley, like with boards unless your an expert or spend loads of time on the snow to warrant more than one board, bindings etc it's always best to choose the "all mountain" models.

AMP's are the budget range I think. Tony's model has now split into a freestyle version Pro 11 FS or a freeride version Pro 11 FR. One of those would be the best bet depending on choice. The carbon versions are great but expensive

The freestyle versions are basically softer and more forgiving which I actually prefer but that is because I suffered cramps in my foot.
snow report
Lager wrote:
Board4Life wrote:

How about P1-HD bindings? I quite fancy trying them out as the reports on them seem pretty good.

I think they're standard on the P1's aren't they? Just had a look on Blue Tomato and they seem to be.
latest report
Board4Life wrote:
Lager wrote:
Board4Life wrote:

I think they're standard on the P1's aren't they? Just had a look on Blue Tomato and they seem to be.

Was wondering if they'd fit an old pair of P1s. I'm guessing they probably would.
snow report
Since I'm stuck in one of these

for most of the season, anyone reckon it might fit into a 'Flow' binding?
I'll switch to goofy if it will.

Ummm . . . just in case . . . it's a real query.
latest report
Masque, don't see why not?
snow report
Just had a look at the K2 Cinch in our local store and they look pretty solid. I currently ride Flows, but it seems to me that the Cinch has two advantages - Firstly you can unhook the wire which holds the highback and then fold the highback flat across the binding, without destroying your settings. With flows you have to take the binding apart to get the highback low enough to fit in my board bag. A small problem but a pain.

Second - I had the pleasure of boarding in 2 foot deep powder early this year, unfortunately trying to put flows on in these conditions is damn near impossible, all you do is dig yourself a lovely deep hole, which by the time you've got out of it your too knackered to enjoy the ride. With the Cinch's you could just use them like a conventional binding.
latest report
I've never had a problem putting flows on in powder. infinitely better than step-ins and no worse than straps in my view. not quite sure why you'd think that straps have an advantage in this respect
snow conditions
I have to agree with Tony here, been riding with flows for 2 seasons now and never had an issue with using them in deep powder. You always have to create a bit of space to put your foot in anyway.
ski holidays
forgot to say welcome to SnowHeads, Otto!!
snow report
I've always been concerned with the weight of flows.
The carbon ones seem the lightest,but from what you lot say there a bit stiff.
Which are the lightest & most flexible then?
snow conditions
They are heavy, but they can't make that much difference to the overall package when you take into account your weight etc? Well i know they don't with me!

Gotta go and observe the fox hunting protest at the conference on the sea front! Little Angel
latest report
Simon, the top of the range flows are much lighter but you are then in the bling zone and would be looking at 200+ smackers!!! Shocked

I think you only notice the weight when your carrying the board. Certainly not when riding it.

The one disadvantage flows have is that you have to remove the front pads to get the highbacks down to fit in your boardbag. Then you have to reset each binding to your taste before each trip. Slightly annoying but for the overall benefits of the binding worth it. You don't have this problem with the cinch so it may be an advantage there. The price of the cinch is not too bad either...bout 150. Flows distribute pressure much more evenly over the foot the conventional straps which is the main reason I prefer them. No pain or cramps for me. The quick release and entry makes them even better.

But the cinch does look a great binding on paper. Maybe someone will try them and report in.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use Salamon SP4 bindings which are a kind of straps/cinch hybrid. I think they came out last year, (at least thats when I got 'em). The front strap never completely releases so although they aren't as quick as flows they are quicker to get into than conventional straps. They're pretty comfy and not as heavy as Flows. I rode piste and pow and found them excellent in both conditions. They retail at about £130.
For a decent idea of bindings that are on the market (as well as other kit) check out this months Snowboard UK. It pretty much covers everything.
snow report
Philip Prior, if you put you bindings on your boots when packing your bag you save on space and also not having to take the pads off or stress out the cabling on your flows Cool snowHead
snow conditions
Richie, i had a pair of them before i got my Flows (must be 3 seasons ago). They are well designed and the front strap does halve the time to do up the straps but i still found that they gave me footache by the end of the day and made riding over bumps very painful (to the point that i would lose all technique and get bounced off the bumps). This is nothing against those particular bindings but i reached the conclusion that straps and me don't mix. I think that part of the problem might have been my tendency to overtighten them - something i don't do with Flows.

It is for this reason that I think that these K2 Cinch bindings are neither one thing nor the other - if you like to fiddle with the tension on the straps on your bindings, are you that bothered about being able to slide your foot in the back? if, like me, you like the feel of the Flow front pad, you don't get that benefit.

just my £0.02
ski holidays
Had a gander at the K2 'cinch' bindings in Slush and Rubble last night.

The bloke said nobody had bought a pair yet and frankly I'm not really suprised. Once you release the high back the high back doesn't go flat like a pair of Flows would. Instead the high back moves back a little, the top strap moves up a little and you slip your foot into the slightly larger area between the high back and top strap. Seems to me it would be far more difficult to balance while getting your foot in than it would be with a set of Flows. Also the cable on the highback release lever came off and was pretty fiddly to get back on. Not really that impressed to be honest. If I wanted to avoid having to strap in constantly I'd buy a pair of Flows. I wouldn't buy these.
ski holidays
Chatted to the owner of our local shop, Blue Tubes in Lancaster, a few weeks back about them. He stocks mainly flows and always sells out each year. He said that he felt that he would be stocking less flows this year nad more of the K2's. At a recent trade show the K2 cinch bindings were selling like hot cakes (why do hot cakes sell so well??)

He hadn't got any in stock then but will go and check em out now that we've got our first review....
snow report
Oisin Osh Kelly,
Quote:

why do hot cakes sell so well
cos when they're hot you get that nice aroma of just baked cake coming off them ?
latest report
I had a look at the K2s on a recent trip to the Snowdome at MK. The only thing that came to my mind was that they felt bloody heavy.
snow conditions
Won't make much difference with my gut !! Laughing
latest report
I read a reply on another site from one guy who had demoed the K2 Cinch bindings and he broke two pair. He recommended waiting till next year when they have all the bugs worked out. Flow had some bugs with breaking parts the first year too. When I bought my first Flow bindings 6 years ago, I was a bit self-concious about how strange they looked.
However, while other boarders are on their ass in the snow putting their bindings on, I've riding by slipping my back foot in my Flow as I go. No groveling in the snow for me. I'm already on my way. Pluch, in a pinch, I can slip my back foot in my back binding and lock in while I'm on the lift. It does take some wriggling around, but it is possible, if you have a steep exit from a lift and want full control on the the lift exit.

My only beef with the Flows is that my size 13 boot just barely fits into a biding that was supposed to accomodate 12-14 (US Size). This is a 6 year old binding I'm talking about, and I'd hope Flow has resolved that issue since then, but I haven't tried my boot in one yet at the local snowboard shop.

I like the design of the K2 but I can see that the Flow eases the pressure points for a more comfortgable feel. I'd suggest you "Go With The Flow". (Pun intended) Razz
ski holidays
welcome to snowHeads waynesol!
snow report
Thank you all for your recent postings about your experiences with the K2 Cinch. You've convinced me to stay with the Flows! The four things Flows have over the K2 Cinch are: 1. After I'm off the lift and moving, I can kick down the back with my loose foot and slip my boot in the binding, reach down with one hand and lock in - all while I am moving. That's what it is all about! 2. If I'm about to head down a steep chairlift ramp, I can still slip my foot in the Flow and have some control, even though the back is not locked in. 3. The large surface are of the top of the binding prevents pressure points and cramping that strap bindings create. 4. The Flows have been around for many years and the bugs are already worked out of them with great materials and design. I'm gonna Go With The Flow.
My choice is the Pro 11-FR. I had the old version of them and liked them a lot. The new versions are even better.
I beat the hall out of my last pair for 6 years.
latest report
Not having the benefit to compare Flows against Cinch's, I can but offer my (biased) view of the K2's.

Combining rigidity and response of a conventional ratchet with ease of on/off they're a good option to do away with wet bums and wasted time. I've for the 05's which bear a big weight hit, but K2 have thrown out a lot of heavy alloy in favour of expensive carbon in the 06's to rectify this.

One tip is the wire system sometimes pop out - K2 will send you a wire clip for free to fix this - I got mine from Boardwise when I bought them.

All in all, I'm a fan; they're solid and let you keep up with the cheeky skiers that can never be @rsed to wait for boarders off the lifts.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy