Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many Irish Snowheads are there and should we have an Irish PSB in Kilternan

Poster: A snowHead
David Murdoch, You stay in your village and I will stay in mine. Anyone who tries to make us change our ways is a witch and we will kill him. Keep out of our village.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=oirish
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
killian, I blame it all on this movie - the quiet man

( btw Galway is my city of birth )
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hibernia, That movie is a nice little earner for the village of Cong. The museum is quite entertaining.

'The Quiet Man' itself is a fine piece of paddywhackery that I always enjoy watching - particularly the prolonged fight scene.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Latchigo, have not seen it for a few yeers now until this thread reminded me of it.

I have never been to Cong, Co Mayo - John Ford who lived locally was a gifted film director and in casting John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in the lead roles, was on to a winner from the word go.

The novie is enjoyable in the sense that they do not make movies like that any more, it is set in time which is part of its allure.

So you've been to Cong?.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hibernia, Latchigo, I much prefer The Field, based on John B. Keane's play. The same basic plot of rich Yank finding his "roots", but much darker!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
laundryman, nay, too much reality. For me, its always The Quiet Man Cool
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman, It does not have big John Wayne or Barry Fitzgerald in it though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hibernia, Cong is a tidy little town. If you could slip into the museum at the same time as a coach party of Americans you would get best value from the experience.

It is not very far from Galway. Doolough valley is always a lovely drive too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Latchigo, on my list - deffo!.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hibernia, By the way, did Mr Goldsmith turn up today for the avalanche bleeper testing ?

It is not too long now until his big night at the SCGB AGM.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latchigo, no, its tomorrow! - at 2:00pm - he is definitely on the list - you'll see from the thread. I am getting the gut feeling that he will not, it will be a pity if that is the case, as we all can learn from each other.

Have you sold all the tickets for the AGM?. Do you reckon that we will see Tim?. Championship bout here - the " rumble in the jungle" - best of 12 rounds I say Laughing . Hope that the Young's do not run out of beer Laughing

snowHead snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wil the massed ranks of snowHead be lined up on Henman hill watching the proceedings on a big screen as they can't get inside the clubhouse?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FenlandSkier, the massed ranks of Snowheads can meet up at the Rose & Crown at 6ish onwards on Thursday 30th November rose and crown
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hibernia, The AGM without DG would be like Christmas without Santa.

I hope he does turn up. His various postings about the SCGB annual report are fascinating.

I can detach myself completely and watch all the fun - whereas Tamsin discussions on Snowheads were a bit irritating at times to say the least.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Latchigo, I agree. You've been following the latest shennagins it looks like Laughing . The Ski Club should be paying him for this stuff!!.

Also agree re Tamsins.

I just posted a thread re the AGM on the Snow Events here and given you star billing! ( Don King ) !.
snow conditions
hibernia wrote:
I just posted a thread re the AGM on the Snow Events here and given you star billing! ( Don King ) !.

Good idea, we have gone off track with this one somewhat.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier,

Agree goldfish have longer attention spans

Anyway back to whether anyone is interestedin going to Kilternan on 9th December?
snow conditions
I am a west brit living in the "weshht". We get a good crew going of a few holidays in the season. Our biggest problem is the two flight problem. Dublin is a bug to get to. This year we are taking a local flight from Shannon and returning to Faranfore. Happy days. Except for the long transfer the other side but that wont worry us too much, thinking of the white stuff. Very Happy

I think you are brave going to Kiltiernan. Have never been and wouldn't really want to, however the clubhouse sounds very apealing.

Haven't counted but how many of us is there?
snow report
whoops!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 27-11-06 15:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
hibernia wrote:

The Irish skiing market is not served well as a lot of Irish have to fly to London airports in order to get the onward connections to the European resorts.

And the other factor is tradition - Irish in general prefer sun holidays ( oh to say this on a snowsports site ! ) and the idea of skiing is newish , past 10- 15 years being opened up - am I right ( or am I too long away to make that type of statement )?.

You are right in part as Ireland has changed dramatically in the past ten years. The TOs say 80,000 will go skiing this year compared to 60,000 in recent years. However these are probably package holiday figures and don't account for DIY trips.

Regarding DIY flight options to the snow there are now many cheap options from Dublin to places with snow and mountains- Ryanair goes to Oslo, Tampere, lots of Poland, Salzburg, Friedrichshafen, Grenoble, Nice, Girona, Malaga, Turin, Bergamo, and Venice so that covers everywhere with snow in Europe really. In addition Aer Lingus flies to Zurich, Lyon, Geneva and Munich to name but a few. All my recent skiing trips have been DIY.

I think it will snowball further as more people go more will want to go as they tell their friends and tell them what craic it is.

David Murdoch I still think it is PRE Season, where in Europe has the season started? Not many places. snowHead
I think we should go for something in Irish maybe 'ceann sneachta Eireannach eachtra' which means snowheads Irish event, mind you I am no Irish scholar so not sure if this is correct Irish.

Kieran was in TK Max yesterday, I hate the way everything and everyone is on top of you there. The initial prices of the clothes is exaggerated also e.g. Trespass Jackets down as €199 reduced to €99, but this seasons stock in Arnotts from €70-100. Arnotts has the best value ski gear if you get them in the post Christmas sales, got my last two jackets there although they don't have as much selection out at the moment compared to last year, only have Columbia and Trespass at the moment. The best selection of clothes is in Great Outdoors, I got a new rip curl hat there yesterday, but it's tends to be more expensive but I suppose you pay for quality.

I find the dry slope to be very grippy compared to snow unless it is very wet, although they say this is better for technique. Still could be up for Dec 9th, don't bring your good ski gear if you go as if you fall the surface can scratch/tear it.
snow conditions
David Murdoch,
Your argument presumes that PSB stood for Preseason bash as it does in the UK - Yet everyone know that it actually stands for "Pub Sitting Bash" - you need to be more thorough in your research

Peter Ross,
Don't be silly - you can't ski on a pint of Guiness you can only surf on one - haven't you seen the ads on TV

Also thanks for the heads up on the jacket for Kilternan - I intend to wear a rather fetching ex Co Council flourescent anorak which I expect to the the whole rage this season
ski holidays
Another addition to the Irish contingent!

Any updates on how Kiltiernan went on Sun? I've never been there either.... I emailed them a couple of months ago re: a technical course they were advertising on their website & got an email to say they would confirm details but haven't heard from them since...
snow conditions
I went to Kilternan years ago and it was ok, bit far from me in NI, and even further when in Sheffield which is where I am until the summer....
latest report
Nuts, .........maybe a 'technical' failure....... Toofy Grin

Kieran, .....brave thread...it's never that easy to put the genie back in the bottle ......! Laughing

Not sure about a Pre Season Bash in Kilternan without a fleet of ambulances! ...... snowHeads though is more of a 'family' and a PSB without the other inmates across the pond might leave them feeling lonely and unloved wink Les Deux Alpes this year would definitely be more exciting than skiing on a rug, but there is the time & cost elements. I would certainly be up for a day/night out, but it needn't necessarily be Kilternan, or associated with skiing, I suppose. Hill of Tara, on 'grasshopper' skis and chasing an oval cheese down the hill? Some beers, a meal ....it could be anywhere....? snowHead
ski holidays
Hey another irish snowhead here.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 2-12-06 16:41; edited 2 times in total
latest report
georgedelaney, Hey, i you're looking for new snow gear and you're in Cork go to a shop called incide. Not sure exactly where cork it is but if you go into cork city ask around and i rekon you'll find it. It's got pretty good trousers and jackets but there boarder ones, at a good price as well.
good luck with the search.
ski holidays
I Seez, thanks for that I'll try and track it down
ski holidays
Ok, i know its up near the river on the train station side. It's aso near a subways. Not sure if that will be of help but give it a bash
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was thinking of trying out Kilternan. Any news on how Killian got on.
ski holidays
I'm on for saturday at 2pm. anyone else.
snow report
Yes - I still plan to be in Kilternan for 2pm next Saturday - HAve work christmas do the night before so may be in a bit of pain - I'm sre that Killian will be back on to share his experiences
snow report
See you there so .Are you going to use your own skis and boots or rentals.
Mark.
snow report
jimmjimm,

My gear lives out in France so will have to make do with what they give us - Haven't had a chance to ring kilternan yet re booking etc - will do so tomorrow
latest report
I live in Dublin (not originally from there though)....ski two or three times a week in Kilternan. Hoping to get a good fall of snow there again this year Happy
Very good race training & personal performance classes are run there during the week.
latest report
I'll be at the Salomon Grom camp this Saturday, plan to go race training next week as have a gift voucher of a lesson.
latest report
I heading to that myself, Peter, apparently these guys are exceptional (even on a dry slope Confused ). The race training is on a Tuesday night.....
latest report
I'll see you Saturday so, a mini SH bash! I fear boxes and rails anyway but add the dry slope and falls are not worth thinking about! Those camp guys are pretty amazing alright especially as they are so young. Still hopefully learn a bit from them. Not sure if I'll bring my twin tips as prefer to keep bases and edges in good order for real snow, although I believe no twin tips for hire is there?
snow conditions
Nope, they don't hire out twin tips, although a few of the better skiers have their own twin tips up there. You are safer leaving your twin tips at home alright Happy
snow conditions
Skyhawk, Oh I am intrigued you will have to tell me who you are drop me a pm. If you want to organise a snowHead let me know and I will talk to the club and see what we can arrange

Peter Ross, Skyhawk, Race training is on both Tuesday and Wed night, If you need anyting for the camp let me know. I have posted a link showing the boxes and rails all newly built for the day.

Skis and boots will be included on the day but sadly not twin tips. Guys are awsome even on dry slopes super bunch of guys and ther are really up for this.

The rails are here
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=63124&id=1368871577&l=7f669f86b1

6, 8 and 10 inches to break you in gently. There is also a group on freestyle for it

Freestyle for Kilternan
snow conditions
i'm from the Claddagh (yup, with the hookers and shiny rings) but living in Scotland (snow on the tops, season imminent)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy