Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How many Irish Snowheads are there and should we have an Irish PSB in Kilternan

Poster: A snowHead
Have noticed in the last few weeks that there have been plenty of Irish posters on snowHead 's

First question is how many of us are there?

Secondly should we arrange or own PSB in Kilternan some night in the near future?

If there are enough of us Dublin based then we sould do a weekday night - Or go for a weekend afternoon meet if there are countryfolk
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me, from Longford but live in Dublin, could be interested but afraid of falling on dry slope after previous thumb injury! Smile On numbers there may be something location in the memberlist.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm Irish but living abroad, will have to pass on Kilternan Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also Irish person living abroad. Will probably pass on Kilternan also Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
live in enniskillen bit too far for me as i have no car
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm another one. I live in Cork though so its a bit of trek. Was in Kilternan the end of Oct but only because I was in Dublin for the week and was on my way back to Wexford to visit the folks.

Glad to see there are a few Irish on here. Pity the Irish market is so poorly served shop wise with only Great Outdoors in Republic AFAIK. Certainly nothing in Cork unless any of you guys know otherwise
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dia duit, I am Dub. Going to try out kilternan for the first time on Sunday. Like the idea of a PSB. i'm on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am from Coleraine in the North. Brave drive to Dublin for me, but would still consider it if I'm down for the weekend
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not Irish but living in Dublin and might be interested in this.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm in Portglenone (near Ballymena) in North. Right oul drive, but if there was one happeneing I'd definately have to think abou it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
(johnboy, how long would it take you?)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd guess about 2.5 hours for johnboy as it takes me about 2.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Michelle,

Coleraine - North Dublin = 3.5 hours
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
(johnboy, I was gonna call you a wimp, but if it's that far, I'll refrain wink )
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MhicEasmuint,

You're probably right, think I could do it in less than 3.
snow report
(MhicEasmuint, pah - johnboy's a wimp... homphomp and I do Milton Keynes 2 1/2 hrs on a fairly regular basis Laughing)
snow conditions
johnboy,

Yeah i can do north dublin in 2 hours easy enough, only about 20 mile from here not Motorway or Dual Carriageway.
Did Dublin airport in 1 hour 45 mins for my last skiing trip although that was leaving here at 1am
snow conditions
MhicEasmuint,

Do you ever go to the slope at Craigavon? I haven't been in a few years.
latest report
johnboy,

Never been, is it any good? Are dry slopes worth it in comparison to real snow??
snow report
killian,

Killian

IF you are there on Sun can you check out prices etc for us as I have never been myself - You might even manage to negotiate a SH discount
snow report
Will do.
latest report
Prices can be found here.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 24-11-06 22:27; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Spideog, get rid of the quotation marks wink
snow report
I'm Irish, but live in South West London, since 1984 - it's possible as I get back to Ireland about 4 times a year - usually to Shannon.

I believe that there is an Irish Ski Club - is it the same as Kilternian? - I' ll do a google later to find a site. Its South Dublin isn't it not far from the Wicklow Hills.

The Irish skiing market is not served well as a lot of Irish have to fly to London airports in order to get the onward connections to the European resorts. We really are so spoilt in the UK with the multitude choice of skiing destinations and departure airports whereas Ireland has just got Dublin and Belfast and to a restricted number of destinations. Choice in therefore limited.

And the other factor is tradition - Irish in general prefer sun holidays ( oh to say this on a snowsports site ! ) and the idea of skiing is newish , past 10- 15 years being opened up - am I right ( or am I too long away to make that type of statement )?.

What's Kilternian like?. Is it a big dry slope?.
latest report
Careful guys - I think that you have to look really, really bored to ski there Laughing
snow report
Michelle wrote:
Spideog, get rid of the quotation marks wink

Thanks, I was wondering what was wrong with the code as I have to use quotes on other sites.
snow report
Michelle, thanks Michelle, ahh, its near near Dun Laoghaire and Bray in South Dublin, which for the benefit of our UK studio audience is the posh area of Dublin. which is the UK equivalent of say Wimbledon. And guess which ski club is in Wimbledon?.

I see they do ski holidays to Saalback and Courchevel.

Skiing on a dry slope is OK but really not the real thing IMV!!.
snow report
georgedelaney, there is a Patagonia shop in Dublin. Not sure of what street it's on but it's on the Northside not far from Grafton Street.

hibernia, About the relative newness of skiing in Ireland - I think it's a class thing. When I was a kid growing up, I only knew one person my age who skied. A son of a local solicitor who used to get to go on foreign holidays 2 times a year !!! Most people didn't have the money to go on foreign holidays (unless you were a doctor or solicitor) and if you did, you sure as hell weren't going to go where the weather might be "bad". You were going to go someplace where it was sunshine and blue skies all the way ... and at least 30 degrees. Irish people have more disposable income now and that's why more of us are skiing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="smolo"]georgedelaney, there is a Patagonia shop in Dublin. Not sure of what street it's on but it's on the Northside not far from Grafton Street.
ski holidays
smolo, oops not sure what happened there - Northside is it near O'Connell St ??? Do they carry much stock ? any boots or skis or just clothes ?
latest report
Patagonia shop is really just a clothes shop

Best ski gear in Dublin at the moment (Clothes) is in TK Maxx

Pamela Scott also has a ski clothes shop if you fancy spending more on your gear than the actual holiday
Great Outdoors is not bad and the have some equipment as well

Also a friend of mine bought a snowboard in Lidl today for €150 anyone know if they are any good or not

ps Aldi doing ski suits next week
snow report
Patagonia is off wicklow street on the southside of the city. Kilternan is beside dundrum in the south county.

Skiing in Ireland was until recently an unaffordable luxury for most, the economic boom, drop in travel prices and the likes of directski.com setting up have made it into a very fast growing sport/holiday.

Kieran is bang on the button, having gone shopping last week TK Maxx is the best spot to get ski gear. There is also a 49' Degrees open somewhere near Kilternan. I was in Lidl a few days ago and saw the snowboard, seemed low quality. I did get a boot bag there last year for €9.99.
snow conditions
hibernia, Walking across Front Square in TCD one Jan. morning in the mid-60's I met two young ladies in extremely hairy boots. Curiosity got the better of me and enquiry led to me being signed up for the following season's Trinity/Oxbridge ski tour......30something hours by ferry/train to somewhere in Poland! I held on to my money until summer but then bowed to peer pressure to blow it all on a similar jaunt......to the Med! As the gentleman behind the bar in Davy Byrnes used to reply to the American tourists who couldn't drink straight Irish/
Scotch, "If yez want rocks, there's plenty out at Dun Laoghaire! Who in their right minds would pay money for ice?!" Yup, we longed to escape from cold, damp Ireland to the sun, but little did we know that it also shone brightly on the tops of snowy mountains snowHead
snow conditions
Mac46 wrote:
hibernia,"If yez want rocks, there's plenty out at Dun Laoghaire! Who in their right minds would pay money for ice?!" Yup, we longed to escape from cold, damp Ireland to the sun, but little did we know that it also shone brightly on the tops of snowy mountains snowHead

Too true!.
snow conditions
...just checking in...
From Broughshane, then Belfast, now Strasbourg most of the time.
latest report
Ok

So with 34 posts on this thread to date it is fair to say that there is indeed an Irish contingent on Snowheads

Killian is going to Kilternan tomorrow so will and will suss out prices etc - I think that we should try and meet up on the dry slope for a Saturday afternoon before Christmas and maybe a pint on the way home - How about Saturday 9th of December at 2pm?
snow report
Hi,

Based in Dublin, I would know at least a dozen people who go skiing but don't go to Kilternan. I have never been there myself so what is it really like? Heard of people getting injured (eg thumbs caught in dry slope) which has put me off but don't know if that is just urban myth etc.

thanks
ski holidays
Not being Oirish myself but don't PSB's have to happen PRE-season - that being why they're called, err, PRE season bashes. I guess you are now restrictied to having an Early season bash, or a "just-mised-the-start-of-the-season-but-want-to-join-in-too bash".

Apologies for pedantry...
latest report
It could be IB (Irish bash). Very Happy
latest report
easiski, "guffaw"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy