Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski socks

Poster: A snowHead
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Hello as above

what do peeps wear in their boots to keep feet dry n warm

1 pair of sock two pairs Puzzled Puzzled its that long i have forgotton what is comfortable
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One pair of socks.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One pair of thin socks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wear smartwool (thin or medium) ski socks and they are excellent, added bonus is that unlike cotton socks they don't smell!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
1 pair of thin socks, although I have been advised that if you're serious, a thin coating of olive oil is all that is required (and all that should be possible). At least, I think he was talking about slipping into a ski boot.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
One pair thin socks. No olive oil, but I'm not Popeye...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
cookie monster, 1 pair good, 2 pairs blisters.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Like Sparkygirl I wear smartwool and have found them excellent.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and a clean pair daily snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski wrote:
and a clean pair daily snowHead

Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
got a couple of pairs of smartwool socks - compared to tube socks, they make loads of difference warmth and comfort wise
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was very happy with my new thin Thorlos at the PSB, no problems with cold feet despite them being the thinnest sock I've ever skiied in.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smartwool socks (made from natural merino wool) are awesome Smile
1 pair only and get the thinnest ones they make (race version)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is no way I would wear dirty smelly socks. Clean ones only...Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JT wrote:
There is no way I would wear dirty smelly socks. Clean ones only...Laughing

There was something at one point about tumble-dried socks wicking better than line-dried ones. Can't substantiate it at the mo so that's just a rumour for now.
snow conditions
TK Maxx have loads of good socks at the minute. I got a pair of Nordica thin, shaped Race socks with a slightly heavier sole and front of shin for 6 quid and they had Salomon and Technica ones too:)
snow conditions
comprex,

I have 4 pairs of x-socks and the like, so I hand wash-them and drip-dry
ski holidays
Usually Falke SK2, but sometimes Falke SK1, and I have 1 pair of cheap Dutch polyprop ones that usually get reserved for the extra half-day if I arrive early on arrivals day. The thinner SK2 are better, but I did spot a pair of SK4 pro-race ones.
For those with expensive taste, I note that Falke also make a Cashmere version of the SK1 at 90 euros a pair!
ski holidays
smart wool always!
snow report
Another fan of the Falke SK2 here...
ski holidays
JT, I reckon we can set up a test by mass with some wet rolled-up newsprint.
snow conditions
Bit of a mixture - Falke (the ergonomic ones), smart wool and merino ones - all thin.

snowHead
snow conditions
comprex,

Or, just get the hotel to do the laundry... Laughing thats my plan but I will hand-wash them if I have to.
Wicking isn't really an issue for me
ski holidays
I#m probably going to buy some Quecha Argentiere 700 socks this year - Decathlon's own brand of high end socks, and only €16 a pair. (they do ones that are one level higher, and cost about twice as much, but are slightly ribbed along the front)
snow report
Womens silk stockings are best.

The choice of many (male) WC racers.

http://www.merinet.com/tip.php?id_tip_type=3

http://www.courchnet.com/faq.php?id_faq_type=67#293
snow report
Presumably the "net" in the two links in veeeight's post refers to a style of ladies stocking.
ski holidays
Adrian, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
I cover my feet with goose fat (available in sainsburys) and duck feather before putting on ski tubes, followed by thin ski socks, followed by spare goose fat, then a spare pair of ski tubes and spare thin ski socks and................ roberts your fathers brother ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Smokin Joe wrote:
I cover my feet with goose fat (available in sainsburys) and duck feather before putting on ski tubes, followed by thin ski socks, followed by spare goose fat, then a spare pair of ski tubes and spare thin ski socks and................ roberts your fathers brother ! Very Happy

Campbell's my brother and I think you'll find duck fat works better. Laughing
ski holidays
element, I picked up some Salomon socks yesterday - your post made me make the trip out specially! Unfortunately they were out of any decent Ski socks in my size (large), but I did get some snowboarding socks. The other half had some in her size, and when unpacked they're very similar, so not a problem really.
snow conditions
Quote:

Unfortunately they were out of any decent Ski socks in my size (large), but I did get some snowboarding socks.

I wear thicker socks for snowboarding, but I think that's just the size of my boots (the snowboard boots are maybe a tad large, though v comfortable). But is there a general difference? In my ski boots I wear one pair of thin socks but I think I need thin ones with some extra padding round the heel, as I have narrow heels but a wide foot in the front. Anyone come across good socks with thicker heels but not thicker toes??? Maybe this is a boot fitting issue - I hope not, as I got new boots from my local resort shop, last year.
snow report
cookie monster, another vote for smartwool socks. I've also found that keeping my legs warm using long-johns (in my case I use Falke ladies 3/4 length so they don't crunkle up in ski boots) helps to keep my feet warm too.

Both Mr docsquid and myself have had Salomon socks and they shrink terribly even when washed according to instructions. Not recommended, unless they have improved since 2005.
ski holidays
another vote for SK2s.
snow conditions
pam w, you would be better off getting the inner boot modified rather than wearing padded socks. My wife had a similar issue and Lockwoods simply added some padding on the outside of the inner boot around the heel area. It compressed the heel section and worked fine.
latest report
I can confirm that TK Maxx are seeling techincal socks for half price, tube sockes even cheaper. Just got 4 pairs of mixed types for £24.
all the names are there Nordica/solamon/head etc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy