Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To Warm Delayed Openings

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23375682-details/Ski+resorts+fear+losing+out+after+warm+winter+temperatures/article.do
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Uh -Oh !! Don't sound good.
I'm in Morzine over new year. Hope it cools down soon. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As someone has said elsewhere, only a small number of days snow is needed to get things back on track. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That's 18C at sea level and that is a maximum daytime temperature in what is quite a short day. At 1000 to 1500m it is much colder, although not cold enough. They shouldn't hope for a cold January though - the last two seasons that's kept people away from the resorts and away from the ski lifts because it has been too cold to ski.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Im afraid it not much colder here in Bern or anywhere in Switzerland
Sad
http://www.20min.ch/news/wetter/

Last year Snow arrived in the City on December the 1st .
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
the last two seasons that's kept people away from the resorts and away from the ski lifts because it has been too cold to ski.

...not a bad thing wink

It's rarely too cold to ski in Europe, you just need the proper clothing.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
More tales of woe from the dutch doom & gloom merchant - stanton, you do love to be the prophet of doom don't you? wink have you always been a 'glass is half empty' kinda guy? Very Happy

Plenty of snow already fallen and plenty more to come, this from the SCGB website as of yesterday:

Skiing in Austria is improving daily following regular snowfalls across the country. The French ski scene has had a dramatic boost this week with up to half a metre of snow falling. Hard and fast skiing is the order of the day at the glaciers of Switzerland. Dustings of snow at Cervinia and Val Senales in Italy have improved the on-piste conditions. It is set to be a snowy weekend in Norway which will hopefully enable them to increase the open areas at the open resorts. The conditions in Sweden have turned around for this weekend with Sälen now looking the best bet ahead of Åre.
Some snow has arrived at a few USA resorts and many resorts are opening before the weekend. Canada really is the place to head for excellent early season conditions. Snow has been falling this week and is expected to continue into next week.

Doesn't sound quite so terrible does it? Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dare, I say that its only 24th November. Its still officially Autumn. Just give it time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AxsMan, quite right, I was a bit surprised to read that article because IIRC Austria actually had a better start to the season than most other European countries. Other parts of the Alps had big dumps a couple of nights ago and although some of that has inevitably melted it will have served a purpose in cooling the ground ready for more snow. It's not all doom and gloom although the season start might be a little slower than we might hope in our enthusiasm.

Oh, and don't forget that Scotland has had a dump of early season snow and Cairngorm plan to open lift served snowsports this weekend Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga, Good work - Focus on the positive, the snow gods will provide Madeye-Smiley snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AxsMan,
stanton, you do love to be the prophet of doom don't you?

No gloom.

Just like to get some early turns in while the European hills are green & the lifts are silent . Will be sliding in Aspen on Sunday Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ there's lifts open in Europe and, as I said above, they'll be turning in Scotland where the weather forecast (storms were predicted) is now looking much more benign than earlier this week.

Now you wouldn't want to sound a teensy bit smug by not acknowledging that would you? Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The pre-season in the Northern Hemisphere has been mixed so far.

Some regions have had a good start, while others have had a bad start. For every Colorado (lots of snow), there is an Andorra (no snow).

On balance, I would say the pre-season has been below-average in most resorts.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The lift is working in my office all the fat Swiss use it Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The temperature in Morzine - town centre today is about 8/9 degrees c and with a relative drop of 2-3 degrees every 300m that means that it isn't much above freezing in Avoriaz! It might be warm down in Geneva but up here it is deginetly chilly and we are getting frosts most nights! They had the cannons running in Avoriaz at the beginning of the week and (due to water being a bit short) they wouldn't run them if they thought it was all just going to melt!

2 years ago we were skiing on man made snow until the 15th Dec when it really dumped so don't worry yet!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
Forecasted freezing level in the Stubaier Alps is 3600m on Sunday. That's really freakin' high.

http://www.stubaier-gletscher.net/UserFiles/stubaiergletscher/Image/Wetter/prognose24.11.2006.pdf
latest report
The forecast here is for 'foehn' conditions well into next week. That means +16C in Garmisch and positive temperatures right up to 2500m! That's OK for me cos it means I can go mountain biking Toofy Grin There is not a trace of snow anywhere other than the glaciers right now, and if you want to ski those then it's a question of getting the lift up so you can join the queue at the top! Sorry if I'm bursting someone's bubble, but to be perfectly frank and honest about it, I would forget any ideas about skiing right now Sad
snow report
I'm in France at the moment and have had a wonderful week of skiing - in fact too much effing snow for what I want to do Wink
ski holidays
Mike Lawrie, that's my bubble burst then (actually it didn't have that much air in it anyway). Visiting Munich in two weeks' time and had been considering a wee visit to the Zugspitze for a quick slide but the website shows almost none of the lifts working and only a couple of mild blues open. Hey ho, just have to have another glass of gluehwein I suppose Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Skied in Vallandry last Chrimbo and was no snow on the web cams until well into December - all cams are already showing lots of snow even down in village so not entirely sure this is accurate.

This is London doesn't spring to mind immediately as a source of reliable information for, well pretty much anything
snow conditions
snowshine, two weeks is a long time!
snow conditions
Start skiing later and keep skiing until May. Easy answer hehehe
snow report
it takes one decent dump to put a base down at valley level,

stop worrying it will happen
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
I'm in France at the moment and have had a wonderful week of skiing - in fact too much effing snow for what I want to do Wink

Rob@rar -- where in France have you been? How deep is the snow? How low down did it go?
snow report
Whitegold, I'm was in Tignes for the week (although now in Les Arcs for the day). Skiing was only available on the Grand Motte glacier, but a few people skied down Double M to Val Claret (2100m) and said conditions weren't too bad because of the amount of artificial snow which had been made. About 50cm of snow on the Grand Motte, although strong wind means that some areas have more, some have less.

The official opening of Espace Killy has been delayed because of a lack of snow, but there is some skiing available at the moment on the glacier. Snow line in the Tarentaise is around 1500m, but only a few centimetres of snow at that level. Talking to locals didn't seem to raise any particular concerns at the moment - it's still very early in the winter season, and conditions now are no different to last year.
snow report
Oberlech this morning Sad

http://gebhardpichler.online.de/webcam/Schloessle.jpg
ski holidays
Quote:
rob@rar,
and conditions now are no different to last year.

The conditions will improve! Very Happy
Just hope that the avalanche situation isn't the same as last year! At the Aval. Awareness meetings, the poor base \late snow was cited as a prime factor of last years high accident rate.
Bring on the snow! snowHead
snow report
fraserp wrote:
Just hope that the avalanche situation isn't the same as last year! At the Aval. Awareness meetings, the poor base \late snow was cited as a prime factor of last years high accident rate.

Amen to that! Frequently heavy falls of snow, with no high winds or extreme temperature swings would be a nice way to avoid avalanche risk Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beg to differ about snow conditions being no different to last year - we had loads of snow for the first 2 weeks of the season last year, but very little in January.
This is the warmest its been in my 4 years in Les Arcs, but there is still a couple of weeks to go so not too worried (yet....).
latest report
Well I went out on my MTB today. Started in Garmisch (750m) and up to Kreuzeck (1650m). At the top we had a temperature of +16C Shocked In fact it was warmer at the top than at the bottom! While I have to say that it was very beautiful, it just doesn't feel right to be doing this at the end of November. In fact this is the first time I have ever been able to bike beyond the beginning of November. Something is most definitely totally f*cked up about the weather this year folks Sad
ski holidays
and according to the 'experts' the charts look poor for the short-medium term. Its even mild in Lapland today and almost all countries in Northern Europe are suffering the same. And there is absolutely no sign that this will end as we go into December.

If anyone dare look at the GFS you will see what I mean.

Its bad enough as someone looking for a holiday, dread to think what anyone who makes a living on Winter sports is going through at present.

Surely it must change?
ski holidays
lisach, it will. Have faith. I feel confident that come the 15th/16th December we will see a vast improvement with most resort being blessed with a good covering of the white stuff for all to enjoy! Very Happy I'm not worried in the slightest.
latest report
Hornster, well I guess if this pattern doesn't break in the next two weeks there are going to be some v.worried insurance companies, TO's and Chalet owners.
snow report
The 10-day forecast indicates warm temps and modest snow for the Alps. Half-a-dozen resorts, such as St Anton and Alpe d'Huez, open next weekend. Likely some will delay opening. St Moritz has already had a Dec 8 FIS race cancelled. It is another weak start to the early season.
latest report
I gaev an update post this morning

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=433&start=2280
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy