Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Clocking up the K's

Poster: A snowHead
I've just indexed another resort report and noticed the kilometrage of pistes available... so I thought I'd look for some more:

3 Vallees - 600km
Paradiski - 425km
Zermatt - 394km
Espace Killy - 300km
Ski Welt - 250km
Serre Chevalier 250km
Silvretta Ski-Arena - 210km
Saalbach-Hinterglemm - 200km
Kitzbuhel - 158km
La Rosiere/La Thuile - 140km
Obergurgl - 110km
Schladming - 109km
Saas Fee - 100km
Val Cenis - 80km
Bansko - 65km
Westendorf - 45km

I've tried to just put down the fully lift linked kilometrage, rather than including bus linked areas. Mostly from www.j2ski.com ... Anymore more that you know? Does it matter?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-11-06 21:25; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Rosiere 999km
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Latchigo, I think you've confused "km" with "miles" - that should be "999 miles".
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Serre Chevalier 250km
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val d'Isere 300km
Banski 301km
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It doesn't count if you make up numbers Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alta - over 500 inches annually. Who cares about how many prepared pistes there are! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wear The Fox Hat, absolutely - the real measure should be inbounds acres multiplied by inches per year...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Salzberger Sportwelt Amade boasts 865 km - they say "linked" but I guess some of those links are by bus. The totally lift linked area though is still pretty vast... bigger than Ski Welt.

Grand Massif 265km

But, you can only ski one run at a time and if I find just one of approx the right gradient that gets 500 inches a season then I'm a happy camper.

I'd love to see how they arrive at 600km for the 3V. From London to Glasgow on skis! It's nonsense.

How about 1325 km if you install just a couple of lifts to link 3V, Paradiski and Espace Killy... I'd still rather go to a couple of T bars in an Austrian farmers top field.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, absolutely - the real measure should be inbounds acres multiplied by inches per year...

But shirley that would mean that a very large area with very poor snowfall, would score as well as a very small area with humungous snowfall. I know which I would prefer.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tuckerman Ravine . . . 44 15 41 N, 71 17 37 W (Google Earth) . . .0Km piste, 0 lifts . . . VERY popular

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 23-11-06 8:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From here http://bergbahnen.zermatt.ch/e/skigebiet/ Zermatt/Cervinia/Valtournenche is 313 rather than 394...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, I can believe 600k more than 300k for Espace Killy in the sense that EK never seems twice as big as 3V - there seem to be a lot more longer runs in 3V that drop over 1000m's. Now ducks for cover!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, OK - so we have to have a weighting system, but I am sure we can develop a formula

Annual snow fall in inches x square root of skiable acres x %advanced terrain/% beginners terrain x number of decent apres ski bars on run home x 1/proportion of chairlifts which are not detachable = skiability quotient

or something similar?

The km idea is just so bogus - all those flattish french runs with a drag lift up the side...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother wrote:
The km idea is just so bogus - all those flattish french runs with a drag lift up the side...

Ah yes the 10K link to La Thuile rolling eyes
ski holidays
Masque, I thought some people said the link away from La Rosiere was the best bit.... never been there myself..
ski holidays
stoatsbrother wrote:
Kramer, OK - so we have to have a weighting system, but I am sure we can develop a formula

Annual snow fall in inches x square root of skiable acres x %advanced terrain/% beginners terrain x number of decent apres ski bars on run home x 1/proportion of chairlifts which are not detachable = skiability quotient

or something similar?

The ski areas with the best powder usually correlate with the number of fixed grip chairs. This is becuse lack of express chairs keeps the groomer obsessed hordes away.

I agree on the French thing - look at PdS, some wonderful skiing but an awful number of "commuter runs".

Termas de Chillan in Chile makes a big deal of having the longest run in South America, its good in a couple of places but its also a long and winding road, same thing applies to the Sarenne in AlpeD'Huez.

Any ski resort can manipulate stats in its favour - not got a big enough linked area? - put in a horizontal gondola - its the same as a bus but allows you to claim "lift linked".
snow report
deleted (repeated info)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 23-11-06 11:43; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
fatbob, fair point. One of the reasons the Whitehorn gullies and adjacent runs at Lake Louise stay pretty good is a"double black" poma lift to access them.
latest report
Masque wrote:
Ah yes the 10K link to La Thuile rolling eyes

Bellecombe 1 skilift 1.710metres gets you to Italy

Add to that for the run back (if you come back that way:
Bellecombe 2 skilift 1.144km

You have 1.71km or 2.95km depending on your chosen route. In heavy wet snow it is dull. In fresh snow it can be a hoot with jumps and lots of off piste excursions. Considering that this is La Rosiere, the snow will of course be deep and fresh.

PS I did it once in heavy snow, into a hooching gale, and it was awful Laughing
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
That could only be used in the US since we don't have inbounds/outbounds in Europe.
However if one said lift served area it might be interesting. But if you can walk for one minute or 5 minutes to open up another whole valley or mountainside - should it be included? Or 10 minutes, or 15 minutes? And does it make a difference if the walk can be on skis (but not, of course, on skins)? And should the end of a run take you directly back by lift, or can a short bus ride be allowed?
Without bus rides and walks Chamonix has almost no pistes.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Thu 23-11-06 11:48; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Hoppo, The Portes du Soleil is meant to be 650km.
snow report
STOP THE BRUTAL GROOMING Very Happy
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, There isn't a TIC smilie wink
snow conditions
hersham surrey 00k ...dooh there is no justice
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy