Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland's Cairngorm Mountain to open this weekend.

Poster: A snowHead
Cairngorm Mountain have confirmed that they'll be opening a limited area this coming weekend weather permitting. Looks like they're intending to run the Funicular, the Ciste Tbar and the M1...

At the moment it's a bit unclear what weather conditions will be like and there may be storms (hopefully laden with more snow) so keep an eye on their website (good luck!), Winterhighland and Highland Instict for more news.

Here's the full announcement from the cairngorm website:

Quote:
CAIRNGORM MOUNTAIN TO OPEN FOR SNOWSPORTS THIS WEEKEND (24/25th November 2006)

Conditions and forecast are marginal, but we do plan to open for skiing if at all possible this weekend (24/25th November).

We will open for skiing from 09.30-15.30 (upper lifts closing 15.00) on both Saturday and Sunday subject to wind speeds and weather. We will have to close again during the week to continue with scheduled maintenance.

We hope to have the options of the Ciste Tbar, the M1 (marginal at the moment) and the Funicular (depending on conditions)

Although we anticipate that most visitors will be season pass holders additional tickets will be available at 16.50

The ticket office is still under reconstruction and the base station concourse area is currently occupied by the winter market. We will therefore use the exit stairs as a temporary ticket facility either in this part of the base station or the Ranger base

The Ptarmigan will be open for limited refreshments, the Ptarnmigan shop and exhibition will be open.

We expect some non skiers will want to go up on the Funicular

The Cas bar, lower shop and winter market will open from 09.30-16.30

This page will be updated Friday 23rd early afternoon.

Don't ask me what "additional tickets will be available at 16.50" means, must be a mistake.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
roga, I assume it means £16.50, as in that's what they'll charge for a day ticket. I was up last season in November and the day ticket was reduced as it was just the funicular open for skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought the whole point of having the funicular was that it wasn't weather dependent like the old chairlift! Shocked

sounds possible though - good for them. Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
easiski, the funicular is supposed to be closed for maintenance so I suspect they'd rather not run it if they could just use tows but yes, it can definitely run in conditions far worse than the old chairlift.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
easiski,
Have you seen the forecast for Saturday? Winds southerly 45-70mph which probably means gust speeds quite a bit higher. Even the funicular can't run in a severe gale particularly if its blowing across the tunnel entrance. We'll just have to wait and see what turns up though. Alan reckons we might be lucky as its all dependant on the exact track the low takes as it crosses the UK.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brian wrote:
roga, I assume it means £16.50, as in that's what they'll charge for a day ticket. I was up last season in November and the day ticket was reduced as it was just the funicular open for skiing.

Ah, my stupid there - should have spotted that!
easiski wrote:
I thought the whole point of having the funicular was that it wasn't weather dependent like the old chairlift! Shocked

As Brian says it's closed for maintenence, so I'd guess in theory they shouldn't really run it at all but they must have found a way. According to Alan on Winterhighland they're bound by a far stricter safety regime than a chairlift would be because it's legally classified as a train.
Quote:
sounds possible though - good for them. Very Happy

Absolutely Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Horsley, Even for Cairngorm that's a fair wind! wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
Dave Horsley, Even for Cairngorm that's a fair wind! wink

All that nice sunny French weather has made you soft Charlotte wink wink

There's nothing wrong with a howling gale and a facefull of spindrift Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So we should take our fat powder skis then?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
veeeight, yes, you can shelter from the wind behind them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski wrote:
I thought the whole point of having the funicular was that it wasn't weather dependent like the old chairlift!

If the weather is like last weekend the wind could be up to 120mph at the top, not good for anything. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If the weather is like last weekend the wind could be up to 120mph at the top, not good for anything.

Unfortunately it's starting to look like it may be Sad

snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cairngorm Mountain should start by improving its website. It is rubbish. Very user-unfriendly. Very dull. The webcams don't work half the time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just checked the 10-day weather forecast. Looks like it will be sleety and windy up on the mountains this weekend. Warming up slightly next week. Not ideal.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ATM if you're planning on going sometime soon, I'd aim for Sunday. We could well be sat under a ridge of HP and if the UKMO is right, there won't be too much warm air pumped over the area in the high winds before then. This is down to some pretty fine line stuff though (the margin of error is very small), so keep an eye on the charts over the next 36 hours. After the weekend is a different matter entirely.
snow conditions
The weather aparently turned out pretty good and everyone who has reported here and at Winterhighland and Highland Instinct seems to have a very good time and were very impressed with the effort Cairngorm put in this weekend.

There are more reports, links and photos on the Scotland 06/07 thread here
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitegold, yes the problems with the website have been reported to Cairngorm in detail and word is they're trying to do something about it - I hope they're reasonably quick!
ski holidays
I was up there Saturday. High sparse cloud and light winds in the morning with stronger gusts pm. Snow was hard and spring like after numerous freeze thaw cycles over the previous week.
It wasn't busy and the only time I had to wait was when getting on the funicular at mid station to go back up.
Good wide cover on the Fairway, Traverse and the 105.
The gunbarrel looked interesting but my wife didn't risk it so we trundled down the zig zags.
A fantastic day getting the legs back into ski mode and lovely views to Glenmore and Loch Morlich in the sunshine.
I missed Sunday despite the blue skies - went mountain biking instead.

Paul
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy