Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telepeage

Poster: A snowHead
The 30 euros is refundable if you send the telepeage back when you are finished with it. Yes you can have it debit your nationwide credit card no extra charge. The charge is 2 euros per calendar month, It is the time it can save you queing at the peage even on a quiet day. Also you dont have to worry about loosing the entry ticket.It is much more convenient when you are on your own no unbuckling seat belt or leaning over to get ticket or pay. It also saves you waking up a sleeping passenger!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 9-09-08 19:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
brock, bonus-I'd be happy to pay that anyway if it makes my life easier as a sole driver-so why would anybody say they wouldn't bother with one because of the increased cost? I'm confused.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
VolklAttivaS5, You will not need to queue in December. You shouldn't need to get out either, just take the car out of gear and reach across to the attendant.

Stops will be - St Omer, Reims x2, Lyon x2, Chambery x2 and Albertville.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
VolklAttivaS5, The extra cost involved on the tariff I'm on is 2 Euro each month of use. So Going for Christmas/New year costs 4 Euro's. I paid a 30 Euro deposit for the transponder and something around 4€ for p+p.

So, for one trip a year it is not worth it.

Simply use your credit card, some of the CC barriers work as fast as the Telepeage ones.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, lovely. Why would someone else say about the getting in and out of the car, perhaps they couldn't reach across or something. Do you pay cash at the booths when you drive rjs?

So that's 8 booths to stop at then. Cheers.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
VolklAttivaS5, Dont forget thats 4 pay and 4 only take a ticket Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, I'll be going more than once a year though, first trip is in December yes, but I'll be going more often after that.

Re credit card-do you use Nationwide-I was under the impression that they are the only ones that won't charge you per transaction like Barclaycard do. I don't want to pay £6.00 for spending 15 Euros on a toll. Thought I would use cash in case the credit card isn't accepted like someone else said they found earlier on in this thread I think.

Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, Dont forget thats 4 pay and 4 only take a ticket

Sorry I don't get what you mean there. Do you mean that at 8 booths, 4 times I would be paying and 4 times I would be taking a ticket, so if I have to get out to pay (if I can't reach the booth but can reach the ticket machine etc) then I'd only have to get out the car 4 times? Is that what you're saying?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Think I'd have to get out the car to pay actually because when I stop at the Severn Bridge tolls even with the car right next to the booth, there is no way I'd be able to reach across if I was sat in the passenger seat here in the UK.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5,
Quote:

Sorry I don't get what you mean there. Do you mean that at 8 booths, 4 times I would be paying and 4 times I would be taking a ticket, so if I have to get out to pay (if I can't reach the booth but can reach the ticket machine etc) then I'd only have to get out the car 4 times? Is that what you're saying?

Yes and No! Very Happy All the booths (except the first one at Calais) are designed for LH drive cars so on 4 of them you only have to stretch to get a ticket. On the other 4 you only have too stretch to put your credit card in and out Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boredsurfing, ok. Just seen on a driving to france website that all you have to do is put the handbrake on, take the car out of gear, take your seatbelt off and stretch.

Surely it must make a difference which credit card you use re cost. Which one do you use? Nationwide is the only one I know of that doesn't charge every time you use it for Euro purchases. Is this right because if so I shall apply for one. Have got their Flexaccount already.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Think I'd have to get out the car to pay actually because when I stop at the Severn Bridge tolls even with the car right next to the booth, there is no way I'd be able to reach across if I was sat in the passenger seat here in the UK.

I couldnt' reach across to the opposite side of my car and out of the window to put money or a credit card in to a machine. Not tall enough.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, hmm this is what I'm thinking, I think the person that said it can be done taking your seatbelt off must be a bloke.

How tall are you? I'm 5ft 6. Think I would rather just get out and pay instead of dropping the card on the floor or something and having to pick it up!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, only a 5ft 1 pixie, so I would probably do myself a serious injury trying to reach across
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've read that the skilfull use of a long set of BBQ Tongs can get the card into the machine
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5, Nationwide Very Happy
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, yes indeed!

Boredsurfing, so you don't get charged per toll charge then? Is the exchange rate they use quite good?

Boris, I will just get out of the car, run round, pay the person and bog off back into the car! Prob quicker than getting my card in the ends of the tongs and risking dropping the damn thing. Laughing

So is credit card quicker than paying cash then? Do you have to enter your PIN like here? Also-what happens the first time I go to use my Nationwide credit card in the machine and Nationwide doesn't allow it because they think I'm a fraudster using it abroad?
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, The charging is actually a bit of a mystery, I have had some trips spread over 3 credit card statements, I think what happens is you get charged for all the tolls owned by one operating company, if that company supplied your transponder it goes straight to your bill, the other operating companies then add up the tolls on their section of the autoroute and then send the charge to your transponders issuing company who then send the charge to your credit card. Therefore some charges hit the statement really quickly others take longer.
Using the CC the machines only check if the card is valid, no pin number is required.
If you are worried call Nationwide fraud dept and tell them you are going to use the card in which country and on what dates. I'm afraid that I view the exchage rate in the same vein as death and taxes.....inevitable and beyond your own control Sad
ski holidays
Boredsurfing,
Quote:

I'm afraid that I view the exchage rate in the same vein as death and taxes.....inevitable and beyond your own control

True and I agree, I've heard their exchange rate is better than most anyway and better than if you got cash from Travelex here before you go so that's good.

As long as they don't charge per transaction that's fine. I bought some kit from Telemark Pyrenees using Barclaycard once and they charged me £6.00 for the privilege plus a shite exchange rate no doubt. Have got a Maestro card but not all shops in France take that.
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, The charging is actually a bit of a mystery, I have had some trips spread over 3 credit card statements, I think what happens is you get charged for all the tolls owned by one operating company, if that company supplied your transponder it goes straight to your bill, the other operating companies then add up the tolls on their section of the autoroute and then send the charge to your transponders issuing company who then send the charge to your credit card. Therefore some charges hit the statement really quickly others take longer.

Im not with Sanef (Escota) all my charges come through detailed on the same statement regardless of operating company, just seperate parts of the invoice .. invoice is voluminous but they dont seem to miss any Shocked Confused
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, no charges at all with a Nationwide card.
ski holidays
My Nationwide card expired yesterday. Mid November I had a nice letter from Sanef saying that they had noticed this and when I received my new card would I simply send them a photocopy of the new card and the tear off slip from their letter and they will update their records and my telepeage box will continue to work. Toofy Grin
Will find out if it does in a couple weeks snowHead
latest report
Thanks for that, I did wonder what I would have to do. Hopefully I will get a letter too.
latest report
I've tried ordering a Liber-t from the APRR site. I get as far as entering my postcode when I get an error message asking me to put in a valid one. I cannot proceed.
Anyone any idea where I am going wrong?
ski holidays
elj221c, No idea, but why not try Sanef instead?
snow report
Quote:

an error message asking me to put in a valid one.

Are they wanting a French postcode? Is there a prior option to switch countries? I got one posted to UK from APRR so there must be some way of doing it - though I forget what, exactly.
ski holidays
Mine is also an APRR one purchased on t'internet so must be possible
snow report
elj221c, Just had a try at filling in form and same problem will not accept post code, although I have previously ordered one without a problem. You could probably get around it by putting in a fictitious number as it does not seem to like letters but will accept numbers, I am sure the PO will still get it to you with town name and country. You will also get a confirmation email when you order you can always reply to that asking them to correct post code.
snow report
elj221c, yes - I seem to recall getting the same problem. I think that I put in a random sequence of numbers to resemble the code of the local town hall in Les Gets (for want of a better number!) and then, from memory, I did bang in the post code in one of the other address lines.

It got here anyway in the end... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Funny - sort of related to this - I just ordered our PDS lift passes online, and it refused to process - a 'webpage' error. It made no reference at all to narrow down what the error was. Recalling the above, I took out the letters of the post code and just left the numbers. Bingo. Went through with no problems. Worth noting for any other French related online applications..! wink
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice. I will try again with some numbers and try Tatty's idea of the post code elsewhere. Being a tightwad I didn't want to pay Sanef's €30. Smile
snow conditions
elj221c, it is refundable though when you return the badge
snow conditions
Anyone know what the height restriction is for the Telepeage lines on the left? Assume it is 2m?
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, 1.80 some are 2m not worth risking it as most have a steel girder suspended after the iniial height barrier and height warning sign Toofy Grin
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, nearly all the ones we use on out journey are 2 metres , our X-trail plus roofbox goes under all the ones with dangly chains, but not the ones with the solid barriers, which tend to be at smaller toll booths on sliproads. Not sure about the new car though, we will find out in March.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, nearly all the ones we use on out journey are 2 metres , our X-trail plus roofbox goes under all the ones with dangly chains, but not the ones with the solid barriers, which tend to be at smaller toll booths on sliproads. Not sure about the new car though, we will find out in March.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, 2cm shorter than a Land Rover Discovery I've heard wink
snow report
Boris, as I have said before not worth having a telepeage if you are overheight wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Luckily the Disco has a button that drops the heights to 1.85m. What a clever car, keeps the children safer than others and allows you to drop your height Little Angel Little Angel
ski holidays
Have been through all Telepeage between Calais and the alps with Grand Voyager and fitted top box. Plastic chains just touched the box, but no trouble at all. Must have been over 2m as the car alone is 1.85. was nervous going through the first one, but after that - Toofy Grin
latest report
Axsman, Thanks. I assume the booths with the dingly, dangly bits are on the far right hand side as you approach the tolls, with the 2m max ones to the far left or are they adjacent? The ski carriers add about 30cm to the car so will be about 2.2m
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy