Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telepeage

Poster: A snowHead
we're driving to the Tarentaise in January and after reading this thread:

http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2036&highlight=telepeage

I've ordered a Sanef telepeage thingy. I know boredsurfin has mentioned it a few times but has anyone actually used one yet.

All sounds great on totalfrance. I must admit that the opportunity to baffle french drivers swung it for me!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jonathancarty, I have one too, but haven't used it yet either.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've used mine several times now, personally I wouldn't bother, its not worth the cost to drive past all those queues, not needing to stop at the toll booths, you'll miss not scrabbling around for the last ticket or waking up the passenger to sort out the peage, there's also a bit of time saved, and of course you wouldn't want to download your journey details from the sanef website afterwards. wink

If too many people get them there will be queues at the Telepeage lanes. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So definitely not the "best thing since sliced bread " then.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boredsurfin, rolling eyes .
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the spot jonathancarty, I've just ordered one.

We're heading down to Morzine for the season and anything that solves the old toll barrier problem is superb.

I think the option of paying 2 euros per month that you use it is an excellent one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My only concern now is that I will have to drive more. There won't be a toll ticket for my hubby to lose.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone thought about the implications of someone having the detailed information of how far you've gone and over how long.

Now I'm not speed freak (in a car at least) but occasionally may slip above the speed limit. Hope the gendarmerie don't get their hands on the database.

Paranoid, me, never.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jonathancarty - we have a 15 year old Peuguot 205 diesel. The speed limit isn't an issue wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One of my little pleasures in life is driving away from a toll. There are none in Alsace once you get past the Haganeau ones on the A4, so I don't get that pleasure here.
I mean, what can be more fun than a sprint to 130kph from stationary, going from 8 lanes to 2... Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I find that the credit/debit card gates are almost always empty, and since I usually pay by card anyway ..... next car will be LHD though! rolling eyes OK if you've got a passenger!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski - doesn't work so well in a right hand drive car Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Might look in to this... What we dont understand is why so few people use credit cards like easiski says...... Weird
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jayne durham wrote:
Might look in to this... What we dont understand is why so few people use credit cards like easiski says...... Weird

There have been a number of problems with card cloning at tolls in France which might have put some people off. Personally I use my CC to pay but it is an issue.

Telepeage is a rip though, you have to pay the highway company so they can fire staff? Hello? how does that work again. Plus at a number of tolls the run out zone is so short that you get stuck behind the numpties paying cash before you can get to the telepeage.

For a one time trip from Dover to Albertville I can't see that it is worthwhile.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, we were stuck in a Sunday night queue at Cruseilles the other week on our way back to Geneva. We had loads of time to get to the aiport, but if we;d been pushed for time, I'd have wished for a telepeage badge as the lane was completely empty (and accessible), the cc lane was coned off, and we couldn't get to it.
snow report
jonathancarty, We have themon our cars. Absoulutely worth their weight in gold to avoid queues at the peages. Let alone the convenience of hands-free. Think I've had mine about 12 years .... wonderful and all DD'd from a (French bankaccount) and discount on your most commonly used peage ( no use if you don't live there of course !)
latest report
I gave a UK card number on the website and it was accepted. I could have used my French account, but didn't have the details with me.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
One of my little pleasures in life is driving away from a toll. There are none in Alsace once you get past the Haganeau ones on the A4, so I don't get that pleasure here.
I mean, what can be more fun than a sprint to 130kph from stationary, going from 8 lanes to 2... Laughing

I think I've seen you at the Antibes peage .... may I call you 'Tosser'? wink
snow report
What is the height limit for telepeage?
latest report
pam w, 2.0m , my Land Cruiser gets underneath anyway ..
snow report
pam w.

According to various people on the totalfrance forum, so long as your vehicle is less than 2m in height BEFORE any roof accroutrements are added then it's fine.

Some of the telepeage lanes have a 2m limit but there are others that don't and if you're stuck you just have to use a normal lane and pass over your thingy (oo er)
snow conditions
Agenterre wrote:
pam w, 2.0m , my Land Cruiser gets underneath anyway ..

Toofy Grin Officialy 2m is the limit
ski holidays
jonathancarty, I've NEVER seen a telepeage lane less than 2.0m not that they don't exist but there is always the lorry lanes...
latest report
pam w, Full details at www.sanef.fr
The 2m limit is enforced at most tolls by a swinging metal bar and then a steel girder to protect the badge reader! (or wreck your overheight ski box etc !)
latest report
boredsurfin, you suspect I had checked ? Embarassed Twisted Evil
snow report
Agenterre, I've noticed that no-one has mentioned one of the better benefits - all the peage lanes are lined up with the fast lane of the motorway so you simply maintain your straight line Twisted Evil
I just balance my speed through the toll down to 2nd gear and then pull away Twisted Evil No need to stop at all Toofy Grin
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Agreed .. and usually to the right as well if there is an exit just after ....
snow report
Ordered my Nationwide credit card last week, (advice from a snowHead earlier in the year, can't remember who) arrived today and now ordered my telepeage. Xmas here we come.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gsb, 'TwasHelen probably or maybe me in a lucid moment (consequently unlikely) think you'll find that most francophiles and snowHead know that a Nationwide flexaccount is the best way to go ...
snow conditions
Agenterre, You or Helen should be on comission! I use my Nationwide card for all things French, paid my french water charges with it last week and the telepeage is on it as well Toofy Grin

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 22-11-06 23:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I've got one as well now, in fact the first statement is due to be paid for now Sad It contains such items as new ski boots, new ski helmet, new ski... you get the picture
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

I think I've seen you at the Antibes peage .... may I call you 'Tosser'? wink

I haven't been on that part of A8 in probably 7 years or more, and never in a BMW... Laughing

(Actually, it's not about racing other people, it's about blasting the cobwebs out of the engine)
snow report
FenlandSkier, sounds a bit like my card bill this month!!!
snow report
I just read this on another fora, I understand the units are battery powered?

Having had my Sanef telepeage fail on me yesterday on my return from S of F, several words of advice......

The french were quite sympa when I had to reverse out of the T lane, altho I was waving the transponder out of the window and swearing at the same time.

The french autoroute network is regionalised, and the different operators issue different transponders. This is not a problem when they work, but if yours fails you cannot exchange it at a local operators office, outside the home region. If you spend your life in the south, and Sanef operate broadly to the North of Paris!

The only office that we were passing was the Boulogne office at the end of the journey (650miles), and like all French customer service operations they only work until 17.00 with a long lunch break. So do I wait til my next visit during office hours to Boulogne to exchange, or negotiate the french helpline on the telephone for a replacement unit?

The good news is that all manned peage toll booths at an exit point can use a bar code reader to read the account details from the back of the unit. A triumph for the use of old technology, and it allows you to get off the motorway without cas or CC.
ski holidays
Interesting information. Have always wondered about this, but from what I recall I would be stumped by the height limit - its a VW Sharan which is 1.85m but the roofbox takes it over 2m easily.

As we stagger the journey over 3 days on the way there, we're going through the real bottlenecks either side of Lyon well before the queues build up.
snow conditions
Boris, my car will be well over 2m high aswell but as previously alluded to there are telepeage lanes without height restrictions.
latest report
jonathancarty, I'm obviously missing them! I made a point of looking for them last trip and only saw a few and these were of the type where the bar was at 2M but was on rope, so would move if you went under.

Are a variety of CC lines without restrictions which we use. Particularly the last toll on the way up to Calais which always seems to have a Q
snow report
gsb, You also get issued with a TP card which you can use ... leave it in the glovebox although I am not Sanef , so can not vouch for their issuing practices.

The only real place for the transpoonder is fixed to the windscreen behind the mirror. For some reason a manually-waved one seldom seems to work consistently well ( the continous waving usually facing the wrong way??) while a static one ( on windscreen) invariably does
snow conditions
PhillipStanton, Has your Telepeage come yet. boredsurfin, can you remember how long yours took. Thanks
latest report
gsb, About a week. Very Happy from Sanef. But like the Calendars it was a bit battered when it arrived but the contents were fine Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy