Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski helmets...

Poster: A snowHead
I have never skied with a ski helmet before, but was wondering how many adults these days actually wear helmets when not skiing in between rocks, snow park, cliff jumping etc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hornster, This thread may answer some of your questions
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20273

This topic may be of some assistance. Personally for the last couple of seasons I have permanently worn a helmet though I don't do cliff jumping or skiing between rocks if I can help it!!!!! snowHead

Oh Frosty, you beat me to it. Oh well!!!!!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the link.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hornster wrote:
I have never skied with a ski helmet before, but was wondering how many adults these days actually wear helmets when not skiing in between rocks, snow park, cliff jumping etc

I've noticed that a lot more people in Whistler ski with helmets than not these days, although not many wore helmets a few years ago.

The only people I see not wearing helmets seem to be beginners (who perhaps don't have much of their own kit - rental helmets can be quite heavy), old-timers (people who've been skiing for years without hitting their heads and therefore perhaps don't see the need) and certain dare-devil ski instructors (no comment!).

However, I've skied in France and wearing helmets seems to be a relatively rare event... Is this a fashion thing or a culture thing? Maybe a bit of both.

I wear a helmet to protect me from other out-of-control skiers, rather than rocks and trees which generally don't jump out at me (on a good day!). Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh...great thread folks.

Snowy, re: I wear a helmet to protect me from other out-of-control skiers, I think you've probably met me or my ilk - us novices can be lethal Laughing I did end up ignominiously in the internal workings of the kinder-lift when I first skied years ago . Embarassed Come to think of it, a helmet would have very useful then!!

I'm most mollified that there are so many positive responses to wearing a helmet. I fitted the kids (age 6 & 4) up with their horse riding helmets (no silks so no peaks) for their 1st try on skis this year (its a pre-requisite at most ski schools to wear a helmet isn't it?), they were too young to realise they didn't look quite correct, but the helmets are pobably stronger than ski ones.

Eva and Stefan's children - same age also had proper helmets. The kids liked skiing so Santa measured their heads, as part of a 'measuring game', and has been to Ebay this year. She found Silver Canyon helmets at <£20 (we only go once a year for a week so no point paying loads), brand new and to European standard so they have them for their stockings this year. Santa then thought 'well only £20' and bought a matching one in her size!

Every thing I do I wear a helmet for - horse riding, motorcycling, cycling - so why not skiing? In fact as far as horse riding is concerned I also wear a back protector now since coming off when I was about 18 and breaking my back over a tree stump. I just hoped I wouldn't be laughed at on the slopes or by my instructor while doing doing my 'very safe' speed down the slope (Eva and Stefan don't wear helmets, but then they were skiing almost before they walked), hence being pleased with the positive responses here. Even if they only offer limited protection it might do wonders for my confidence.

I've tried mine on and am quite pleased with it - I would echo the responses about them keeping you warm. I went down the bobble hat route this year and found it difficult to keep the bottom of my ears warm without resorting to a balaclava (very SAS). The helmet though has a nice soft warm bit that completely covers the whole ear and I'm sure the polystyrene cladding and soft lining inside will keep the rest of my head warm too. As someone has said, even a good quality thinsulate bobble hat gets itchy after a while There is also one of those neat retaining straps to keep the goggles attached (those nice new Silver OTG Birdz ones I wrote about in another thread). If I can get all our goggles attached to the helmets that will solve the 10 minutes frantic searching each morning to make sure we all have them (does this sound familiar to anyone that's skied with kids?). Now if only I could solve gloves in a similar way without resorting to elastic in the sleeves.......

Best of all my 4 yr old saw me modelling my helmet and pipes up "I wish I had a helmet like that mummy!"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hornster - I've worn a helmet for about 4 years and would never go back. Aside from the safety aspect, they keep your head warmer and mean you're less (much) ikely to lose the goggles if you total in powder or on the piste.

I've noticed a marked increase in helmet wearers around the Portes du Soleil in the last couple of years. Partly, I think, because Snow & Rock in the UK and Decathlon in France (and UK) have given much more prominence to safety kit over the last few years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was coming down a nice gentle Red underneath the Lager chair (of Wengen) at very reasonable social speed on a day where some 15cm of fresh had fallen. A part of the pisted area was left ungroomed, so I went in. When I moved out of the fluff, i had my tips too low and they burried themselfes into the harder groomed snow and I flew over.... Without helmet, I was okay but don't like to repeat that...

My buddy was coming down the black next to the Muttleren chair (of Murren) and misread one of the flat parts to stop on from high speed. He disappeared into a white cloud next to the pisted area... he too decided that was not one to repeat...

We both bought a Giro helmet over ebay...

Helmets are a good thing, you can fall badly even at very moderate speeds, its just not worth the risk... People were helmets cycling which they do at lower speeds then skiing, and cycling imho is a more controlled thing... (no 20+% inclination that keeps you going)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hornster, I think the answer to your question is "more and more".
When I got my helmet 4 years ago it was rare to see a helmet in Europe. Now most of my ski buddies have a helmet.
Across the Atlantic helmets are becoming the norm. Like Snowy, I noticed that lift queues in Whistler showed helmet wearers were in the majority.
I wear my helmet in all conditions and all weathers.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cheers for all the feedback. I have decided to go ahead and buy a ski helmet. Anyone know anything about this helmet?

http://www.bargainboards.co.uk/P/Leedom-Prophet-Snowboard-Ski-Helmet(3041).aspx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hornster, Like boots, the fit of the helmet is the priority.

It should fit comfortable on your head with no tight or loose spots. With the chin strap fastened, you should shake your head left to right and up and down. If the helmet is fitted correctly it shouldn't move. Any forces caused by you shaking your head are tiny compared to the force of an impact.

If you really want a particular colour for the helmet, you could consider getting it painted or having vinyl stickers made for it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm with Tomsk - the only way to buy a helmet is to try it on beforehand.

A badly fitted helmet can cause more damage than no helmet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm thinking of getting my ski helmet sprayed similar to this. Twisted Evil

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hornster wrote:

To return to the origianl question the major hazard which you've not identified and have no control over unlike rocks, park, cliffs etc is other slope users.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, that's why I wear mine. On our trip next February 67% of us will be wearing a helmet (each), so, in true "Pantene" science, that means that two thirds of the population wears a helmet when skiing or boarding.

Anyone got any view of whether the Tchibo back protector would be worth the £30?
ski holidays
Regarding spraying a helmet - I'm dubious as to whether that would affect the soundness of a helmet, though it might depend on the paint used.

What I do know is that spraying a helmet is very frowned upon in the motorcycle world because it could affect the soundness of the material it is made from and that this applies whether it is made from polycarbonate or fibreglass. Similarly motorcycle helmet manufacturers even advise against the application of after market stickers for the same reason. Would this not apply to ski helmets? I've even got a thought that my cycle helmet may have had similar warnings when I bought it new many years ago. Any experts out there with any thoughts on this?
ski holidays
Painting a helmet yourself using off the shelf paint is a bad idea, since they often contain solvents which will damage a helmet.
A professional helmet paint job will be done using paints that are safe for the helmet. The same applies to stickers or more accurately the glues used in them.
snow conditions
You could probably have an extra ski hol for the cost of a good paint job on a helmet, no?
ski holidays
Megamum, As previous replies, if a professional paint job then its not a problem. (Think Moto GP and racing motorcyclists paint jobs)
You can buy stickers made specifically for motorcycle helmets. The same applies to ski helmets

Incidently, more people probably do more harm to their helmets due to lack of care than stickers or paint ever could.

Incidently, if your cycle helmet is plastic (or a derivative) and more than five years old then its probably life expired in any case.

richmond, for one like the one above - YES (sadly).
ski holidays
I was skiing in Davos a couple of seasons ago and had a pretty nasty fall, my head flipped back and was lucky i didnt hit anything hard but ended up with a split lip as i bit it with the fall, it really made me think how lucky i had been and if i had hit a rock or something it would have split my head open, ever since then i have worn a helmet.
ski holidays
I know this is a silly vanity thing but I've been looking at helmets for a while and am surprised how many are only available in black or grey. What about nice orange or yellow? Blush Very Happy
latest report
Try Giro (www.giro.com), their helmets come in lots of different colours, both gloss and matt.

Black, White, Silver, red, pink, pale blue.....
latest report
hellfiresliding,

http://svt.se/content/1/c6/05/59/68/ww-maier290.jpg
snow conditions
hellfiresliding, Giro is the way to go. Mine's a tasteful, muddy, sort of camo green (it was cheap and it fitted) and the OL's is bright blue with orange flames; very stylish.
ski holidays
Mmmmm....I like Mr Maier's yellow number!

I think some further research is in order.

My other problem is a funny shaped noggin....kinda long front to back and kinda narrow side to side. I can't buy helmets without trying them on.....mind you I did spot a fair range in Lockwoods the other day.

I tried putting my goggles on over some of my other helmets.....motorbike, horse riding skull cap, paragliding full face etc. but decided that really wasn't going to work...and looked too silly so I'll just have to buy yet another hat for the collection. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Finally made a decision and bought a K2 helmet....in matt black so not brightly coloured at all.
I decided that one that fits is more important than one that look nice.

It did occur to me that ski helmets are very different to other helmets that I have so am very pleased I bought a proper ski helmet rather than using one designed for another activity. Very Happy
snow report
hellfiresliding wrote:
It did occur to me that ski helmets are very different to other helmets that I have so am very pleased I bought a proper ski helmet rather than using one designed for another activity. Very Happy

I think there is a difference between the skiing helmets and snowboarding ones as well in the shape at the back of the head to allow for boarders tendency to fall backwards or forwards and skiers who would probably topple sideways.
snow report
hyweljenkins wrote:
fatbob, that's why I wear mine. On our trip next February 67% of us will be wearing a helmet (each), so, in true "Pantene" science, that means that two thirds of the population wears a helmet when skiing or boarding.

Anyone got any view of whether the Tchibo back protector would be worth the £30?

It's worth a significant amount greater than £30 if it (& its a big if ) saves you from a fractured spine & partial paralysis.

I had a look at them & they seem well made if a little bulkier than some moto specific models. Really its got to be comfortable enough to wear all day every day if its to be of use so as with other safety kit there is no substitute for actually trying it on.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spideog wrote:
hellfiresliding wrote:

I think there is a difference between the skiing helmets and snowboarding ones as well in the shape at the back of the head to allow for boarders tendency to fall backwards or forwards and skiers who would probably topple sideways.

I have never heard this claimed even by marketing types who like to make the most of even minor non-functional differentiators.
ski holidays
K2 are making helmets with little fold away pegs on the sides for a fancy new goggle mounting system.

Has anyone tried these?
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
Spideog wrote:
hellfiresliding wrote:

I have never heard this claimed even by marketing types who like to make the most of even minor non-functional differentiators.

There was certainly a difference between the helmets of skiers and boarders in the group I was with last year with the skiers ones not coming down as low at the back of the head. Was probably just us looking for a difference though but it kind of made sense to us as a skier crouched down wearing one of the boarders helmets would have not been able to raise their head up as much as they came down due to the helmet covering more of the back of the head.

We may well have been just seeing differences where they didn't exist though. Puzzled
latest report
Given all this talk about helmets now, I just wonder how we survived when we were kids... I remember a couple of hits to my head, perhaps that's why I turned out to be the person I am Puzzled but more generally I think that we are moving to a direction where all risk should be eliminated, or minimised.

Are there any statistics about serious injuries/1000 skiers which could have been avoided by using a helmet? I believe there has to be. Someone please put it out in clear!
snow conditions
The only injuries I have had over the last few years have been concussions (one on piste, one off)

Being knocked out and bloody on the piste and having a sore head/ ringing ears for three days got me thinking that i wear a helmet bicycling at slower speeds why not while skiing.....

So, after trying on about 10 models I am now the proud owner of a new Giro helmet. Looking very geeky i think but perhaps a bit safer.....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy