Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zell am See/Kaprun - Ski Schools

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone any first hand experience of either Zell or Kaprun from a beginners point of view?

Cheers

Mark
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Austrian Ski School in Zell employs a lot of English instructors. I've used them twice (for groups of kids), and all the instructors that we've had have been okay.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mark Hunter, We used http://www.skischool-kaprun.at/ They were OK, but the beginner slopes are at village level and that is very low. Our kids ended up at the glacier, -20 in a strong wind, also a right PITA to get to. We were lucky it didnt put them off skiing for life. Of the 2 I would suggest Zell the better.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mark Hunter, where about are you staying?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Frosty the Snowman, thanks - low altitude worth considering.

Elizabeth B, nowhere booked as yet and also looking at Saalbach. There will be a complete novice (will do MK for some basic instruction) going, so it'll be important to look at easy access to beginner slopes initially. What were the lower altitude conditions like? FTS's experience is weighing on my mind!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At Feb 1/2 term, the conditions were fine lower down. We stayed at Shuttdorf, which is at the bottom of the Arietbahn lift. The nursery slope there was in good nick and when progressing onwards, there is a nice blue run at the top of Arietbahn 1.

At Easter it wasn't possible to use the nursery slope, so beginner lessons took place at the bottom of the blue run.

I'm not sure what the set up is in the centre of town (the ski schools are linked, but operate separately).

When are you going?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, mid/late Jan (hopefully!).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mark Hunter, Once the beginner has managed a chair lift there is a great lift and run to build their confidence in Zell. Get them to ski the blue run from the top to the bottom of lift 13 - The Glocknerbahn. Fantastic gentle wide piste with a detachable 4 man chair. Day 3 heaven.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 20-11-06 15:34; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mark Hunter, you should be fine for snow cover then.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
FtS, thanks. The SO likes the look of Zell, whereas I'd prefer Saalbach. As she's the beginner, I suppose Zell may have more to offer if things don't go quite to plan. Guess I'll have to start looking into hotels near the lifts!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
In your situation, I would definitely choose Zell ahead of Saalbach. If things are going well, you can always have a day trip to Saalbach.

Zell also has the advantage of a train station, so if she wants an afternoon off, a visit to Salzburg should be possible. Zell is also (IMO) the prettier resort, and has all the added attractions such as walking on the frozen lake and sleigh rides.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yup Elizabeth B, you nailed the "reasoning" pretty quickly! Sleigh Rides! Hope they run before 08:30 or after 17:30 wink And thanks again...honestly Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As an English instructor in Zell I can vouch that the ski school is great. Kaprun not great as you'll either be on the Maiskogel or the very easy nursery slopes in the village, whilst other members of your party might be up on the glacier itself. Zell has 2 ski schools both working out of three different stations. If you're staying in Schuttdorf, head for the Areit station, if you're staying in town, head for the station at the base of the Schmittenhoehe lift. There's a station at the top of City Express lift, but the nursery slope is appalling (virtually impossible to teach on!).

Saalbach has much less to offer beginners and non skiers, more for the intermediate and advanced.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy