Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Route driving from Geneva Airport to Tignes?

Poster: A snowHead
Going over next Friday and although I've driven to Tignes before, it was from the UK so we didn't go through Geneva. Looking at the map the 'best' route seems to be A40, N205, N212 down to Flumet, then D218, D70, D902 down to Bourg St Maurice, continuing on to Tignes. I'm just not sure whether the middle bit (D218 etc ) is a good road, and maybe I'd be better to go the (30 miles) longer way round via the N201, N6, N90? Has anyone done this and is able to offer advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AxsMan, I seem to recall the chances of any road other than the N90 Moutiers - Bourg being open in the winter as pretty much zero. Satnavs don't know about pass closures rolling eyes

But then again, what do I know? Maybe it's not winter yet Confused
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

But then again, what do I know? Maybe it's not winter yet

No, unfortunately it's not winter yet and I would think the Cormet de Roseland pass over to Bourg St Maurice will be open next week unless something astonishingly and wonderfully fantastic happens to the weather in the next few days. It will, barring something equally ghastly happening to the weather, be closed for the winter.

It depends what you are after. Once you leave the A40 at Sallanches the whole of the route to Albertville is either slow (to Flumet) or very slow (all the rest of it). Your suggested route is beautiful but will take ages. If you just want to get there, better to go via Annecy to Albertville.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
AxsMan, In time terms you'll find it just as quick to stay on the motorway and go through Annecy and Chambery to get to Albertville.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AxsMan, The route we've found fastest out of season is to head towards St Julien de Genevoise, then go Departmentale to Annecy. Do a viamichelin search for the shortest route.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Murdoch, Spot on, that's the best way
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, very useful advice (as always!) Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A private transefer took us through Annecy. Whether this was to be quick, short or to avoid m'way tolls I don't know.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
richmond, I think it's 6 and 2 3s timewise but the Lac d'Annecy route to Ugine is toll free, less petrol and much more scenic.

Going round A40/A41 or cutting the corner through Cruseilles on the N201 is a similar decision. If you decide to go N201 then keep a good lookout for the green sign for "St Julien" just after you enter France, it's easy to miss !
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Also off out to Tignes next Thursday, similarly self driving from GVA. Any ideas on time to get there? Arriving GVA 2030ish so presumably traffic will be light
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BGA, Well viamichelin mentioned above reckons about 3 hours . I'm arriving at GVA at 16:15 so sadly that means driving into the Alpes in the dark. With your timing I guess that's a foregone conclusion Sad . c'est la vie!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, that's the route we've been using recently too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BGA, AxsMan, you might just want to check roadworks on the Bourg-Tignes road. A few years ago we had an enforced beer stop as they were re-doing some tunnel and only opening it for 10 minutes every hour. Usual last minute rush to get all completed before the snow really arrives...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh yes there is a closure of some lanes soon! Details here Each logo on map has a pop up info piece, only in French.Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boredsurfin, Thanks for that, unless my schoolboy french has destered me, it doesn't look too bad. but the 'shortcut' down from the north is closed for the winter (I think)?
snow conditions
AxsMan, Most of the passes appear to have been closed on November 13 th.
The Centron diversion referred to on the N90 is the new piece of road they have been building for the last 3 years. It is due to open by Christmas 2006. (On the right as you exit the tunnel going to Bourg.)
latest report
AxsMan, This site may help plan your journey as well. Toofy Grin http://www.sanef.com/fr/services/trafics/temps_reel.jsp
latest report
David Murdoch, will do. Although given it is a stag do then enforced beer stop not too much of a problem. Except for me of course as I'm driving.AxsMan, I apologise in advance for any inappropriate behaviour you may witness carried out by a bunch of thirtysomething blokes who should really know better
latest report
BGA, Sounds like fun, if Mrs Axs wasn't accompanying me I'd be trying to gate-crash! Very Happy
latest report
Just stumbled onto this thread. Last year our group travelled in 2 cars from Tignes to Geneva. As this is an annual trip for us we wanted to know which way is faster Annecy or Motorway. We left Tignes at 0700 and ‘Annecy car’ beat me by a few minutes to the airport, even though I was speeding a bit. Having said that the motorway journey is less tiring. Now I go whichever way I feel like at the time.
snow report
In our experience the bit that really saves time is the Cruseilles corner. Otherwise we'll do Annecy if the roads are nice and clear or the motorway if it's the middle of a snowstorm
ski holidays
[url=http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr/dyn/controller/Driving_directions#startLocid=2136jm10cNDYuMjAzNTQ_cNi4xNDAwMQ__&destLocid=2142vh910cNDUuNDcwMDU_cNi45MDc2NQ__&step1Locid=&step2Locid=&vh=CAR&distance=km&strVehicle=0&intItineraryType=5&devise=1.0|EUR&isAvoidFrontiers=false&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&carTypeHidden=Citadine&caravaneHidden=false&typeCarbHidden=essence&autoConso=9.0&villeConso=8.0&routeConso=7.0&carbCost=1.3&dtmDeparture=23/11/2006]ViaMichelin directions from Geneva to Tignes[/url]

follow the link above from driving route planner ....
snow conditions
OT, but it seems there going quite a few snowheads in Tignes from next weekend

lookie here - http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=16111
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm 15 though i have driven the route many a time with my parents. I find that the quikest route is to head from geneva in the direction of annecy. once there follow signs to albertville, the motorway is usually fast as its not high season yet. After albertville, head to moutieres and then onto bourg st maurice. Traffic in bourg can be a bit*h on the weekend so that will be quite slow. after Bourg head up in the direction of Seez (best town ever) and then follow the main street till a fork in the road. take the left and then head up to Val. The drive normally takes 3 hours and the traffic isn't really terible.
hope this all helps.
latest report
I Seez, 15 you may be but sense you talk (apologies yoda Very Happy). That is indeed the route we took and it was just under 3 hours. Thanks all for the suggestions, viamichelin was useful but the garmin satnav did the biz, right to the hotel door! (it even had the phone number!) Gadgets are so cool these days Very Happy
latest report
AxsMan, I check out viamichelin if only to find out where the speed cameras are, they might move them.
ski holidays
AxsMan, You're right about the gadgets. loody helpful
ski holidays
If folks that are doing this run could report back afterwards it would be very useful Toofy Grin Especially for those of us heading that way later in the month Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, Good point, althoug after my 50 Euro fine in the mont blanc tunnel Shocked , I tend to stay below the speed limits anyway! Very Happy

boredsurfin, I'll be doing it again Dec 19th, and will defintely allow the Satnav to take me via the 'longer' but faster Motorway. since I'll be driving in the darl it's just easier.
ski holidays
From Geneva I tend to stick on the Autoroute as far as Annecy, then exit to drive along the lake mainly because I enjoy the scenery. I've tried going via Cruseilles three or four times but on each occasion I get stuck in heavy traffic doing that route. Maybe I've just been unlucky?
snow report
I drive to Geneva regularly during the season and unless there is heavy snow I find Cruseilles the faster way and you save the toll - you may also find it quicker to go around the other side of lake Annecy especially in the morning when it can save you 1/2 hour queue at rush hour into Annnecy snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy