Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, Pre-season 2006/2007

Poster: A snowHead
Had an enjoyable time on the Grand Motte glacier today - pleased to discover I haven't forgotten to ski (sadly, though, I haven't miraculously improved over the summer just by thinking about skiing).

Friday/Saturday's new snow had improved the hardpack conditions from earlier in the week. Looks like 10-15cm fell at altitude (nothing at resort level), and the Rosolin area was very pleasant, with lovely soft snow all day. Champagny and 3500 still were hard-packed, with glacier ice appearing at many of the gate positions in the GS lanes. It was very mild this morning (-3°C) at 3,000m, with sunny weather. It clouded over after lunch and temperatures fell a bit. It's due to cool overnight with a little bit of snow tomorrow possibly down to 1,800m. The rest of the week looks like there will be a bit more snow, although not much and mainly at higher altitudes.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 20-11-06 15:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good to hear your report rob@rar, glad there has been some new snow higher up. Looks like the freezing level is dropping through next week & as you say, hopefully some fresh snow. Enjoy your course - starting tomorrow? snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, More spectacular fall videos please wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, good report, thanks for keeping us informed Very Happy

Are you doing another snoworks race training course?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is snowing hard at the moment at resort level.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oooh thank you rjs! That's the sort of news I want to hear snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, Very Happy snowHead Very Happy Great news !

rob@rar, Thanks for the update! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
look at the webcams this morning .. .winters coming!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, yes, doing race course. First day today, no fall videos yet but there's still plenty of time Wink

About 8cm of snow overnight at resort level, which freshened the pistes at altitude, but temperatures are relatively warm so not much snow left on the lower slopes. t]The fresh snow was not so good for skiing gates and soon built into nasty ruts. Weather was lovely today, with pleasant temperatures and sun all day.

Next few days are forecast to be a bit unsettled, with some snow but a continuation of mild temps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shocked to get off the glacier to find most of the snow at 2100m had gone.
rob@rar - I will be in TCs & the Alpaka tonight. Ask Rosie (TCs) or Tony (Alpaka) to point me out.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, quite cold here. How odd is that? Normally it's the other way around. Puzzled where are the pix?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Rob - Steve and I are very jealous... hope you have a gr8 time and hope we catch up with you at some point this season!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski wrote:
rob@rar, quite cold here. How odd is that? Normally it's the other way around. Puzzled where are the pix?

Too scared to carry a camera when I skiing flat out Embarassed Not that there's much to see - Tignes is not very pretty without a blanket of snow Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jayne durham wrote:
Hi Rob - Steve and I are very jealous... hope you have a gr8 time and hope we catch up with you at some point this season!

It's only a short drive from BSM...

We'll definitely meet up this season - PM me some dates that you're out here Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks like on the webcams there's been a bit more snow overnight? Plus more forecast today & tomorrow:
Metcheck forecast - OK, but predict freezing level is going to rise pretty high by the weekend, with some rain due.
SCGB - I like this one! Lots of snow forecast today and at the weekend, with the freezing level at the weekend at about 1400m
Snowguess - on the 3 day one, again snow forecast today/tonight, freezing level quite high by Thursday, wind also picking up

I've got everything crossed - who else can I pray to? snowHead
snow report
rob@rar,
Quote:

Tignes is not very pretty without a blanket of snow

It's pretty with Shocked
latest report
easiski - not quite what you had in mind, but another snowHead, Len Holgate, has posted some photos on his blog.
latest report
Snowed again today, but really needs 4-5 days of non-stop snow before Espace could be opened.
ski holidays
PhillipStanton, Good to see - looks about the same as here. More snow/rain here today, so it must be accumulating quite nicely above 2000m. Very Happy
snow report
easiski - Avoriaz is looking good too. It's too early to get excited yet as the temperatures next week don't look good.
ski holidays
About 30cm of snow overnight at resort level, but high wind at altitude meant that some parts of the Grand Motte (Champagny, 35) are still very icy. Rosolin was the only area open today, so very busy lift queues, but good snow quality. Currently -12°C at resort level.
snow report
rob@rar, are you sure your location is right? wink
snow report
rob@rar, great to hear! snowHead
ski holidays
Today is much warmer, with a bit of a thaw at 2100m. We seemed to have a dusting of snow overnight, but nothing of any significance. Wind caused delays opening the Grand Motte (as it did yesterday) but when things got going there was a fair amount of skiing. Rosolin seemed to have decent conditions, and Champagny was hard-packed. Unfortunately I was on 35, which had too much effing snow (wind blown from Champagny) and not enough light to see the ruts in the racing line. It was a tough day's skiing - a steep, fast course and poor snow conditions Sad I was at the edge of my abilities and energy levels! Hopefully we'll be on Champagny tomorrow.

I don't know whether the resort's opening has been officially delayed, but other than a few pistes which are protected by snow blowers there's not enough snow to get around the rest of the resort except for the Grand Motte.

Mark Hunter, sorry about the location - I'm most certainly in Tignes at the moment Smile
latest report
rob@rar, Would the ski and boot hire from Sport Glisse or Ski Center/Ardechoise both priced at arround 100 euros be okey places to get equipment?
Ski centre are offering a choice of 8 different models, Sport Glisse only one. tTis is prebooked through www.snowrental.net

also a pre booked lift pass is Total £137 through www.worldski.com which is then collected from the ticket office in Val Claret, does that sound like a sensible plan.
Open to any other suggestions.

What do you think?
snow report
rob@rar, thanks for your continued posts - glad to know what the situation actually is as www.tignes.net suggests that there was 12 inches of new snow as of this morning! Can't imagine anyone claiming to have 12 inches when the reality is 2 or 3 at best..
latest report
rob@rar, We are arriving at Tignes Val Claret tomorrow evening skiing Sat/Sun/Monday. From what you say above, it looks like a full espace Killy lift pass wouldn't be worth the extra over and above a 'Tignes only' one as we'll basically be skiing the glacier. Does this sound about right to you?
ski holidays
Renry, sorry I can't help on kit hire as I brought my own skis with me. Those people on my course who hired used Favre Sports in Val Claret, but I think that's because pre-season they are one of only two places open. The regular season pass is 163.50 Euros for six days (approx £115?) so I think that the Worldski price sounds a bit steep. Unless you get a discount I don't think that pre-booking lift passes has any great advantages.

BGA, the report on tignes.net of 30cm of fresh yesterday was spot on as far as I could see. I wouldn't dream of exaggerating the size of anything...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AxsMan, I'd be surprised if there was much skiing available in addition to the Grand Motte. They might well open Double M (down to Val Claret from the Motte) and maybe one or two others that have had the cannons running, but don't make any plans solely on my guesses! Wink

Things were pretty good up on the GM today - in fact I wished I had been on fat skis rather than race department GS skis there was so much snow on 3500 Smile Hope you have a great time.
snow report
Renry, I think the price quoted by rob for the regular seaon pass is for Tignes only as opposed to the full area whichis E 197. Still does not seem to be any saving so I would wait you may injure yourself why spend the money before you need to? There may also be a more convenient pickup point and they are dead easy to buy at the time.
latest report
rob@rar, Thanks for the info. In fact last year the double M down was our favourite run, so if that's open we'll be well happy!

only 23 hours till we get there! Very Happy
ski holidays
AxsMan, have a great time! snowHead
snow conditions
cathy, Thanx We'll certainly try! snowHead
snow report
Double M was open today, but the snow was a bit thin.
snow report
Snow conditions on the glacier were good for racing, but a bit too windy. Rosolin and 35 were great - hardpack snow which held up well, although Champangy is still very thin because it gets exposed to the wind which strips it of snow. After yesterday's delay to opening today started on time, although the cablecar is still not running for some reason.

Today was final day of my Snoworks course; training on 35 followed by the race on Rosolin. Didn't ski as well in the race as I did earlier this week, which was a bit of a disappointment, but overall I'm happy with progress I made. I'll do a ski school report when I get back home, but in the meantime a photo from the start gate on Rosolin:

Skier is me, with instructors Gareth Roberts as starter, Phil Smith timekeeping, with Emma Carrick-Anderson and Mark Jones in the background as senior "big up"ers to get everyone fired of the line with a bit of adrenalin Smile
snow report
Kenzie, sorry I haven't been able to get down the Alpaka to say hello. I would have liked to but it's just been a bit too busy with evening feedback sessions and seminars, etc. Maybe next time...
latest report
rob@rar, hope the seminar/feedback sessions aren't too heavy! Are they every evening & roughly how much time is taken up with it?
latest report
cathy, about 30-45 minutes is typical I think. They are every evening, Sunday-Thursday, with an informal get-together on the Friday evening. They are not too heavy - one of the great things about Phil's courses is that they focus on the core concepts, trying to keep things as simple as possible. The video feedback is extremely helpful, although sometimes quite depressing Wink It can also be an opportunity to ask any questions that you don't get time for on the mountain. For me it's one of the best parts of the course.
ski holidays
Thanks rob@rar, that sounds fine - I had visions of 3 hour seminars every evening! Toofy Grin Really looking forward to the video feedback Embarassed
snow conditions
cathy, no, it's not a big time commitment, but a useful way to round off each day. There's still plenty of drinking time left in the evening Wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy